LS1 Prep

Don29palms

What is needed to take an LS1 out of a car and put it in a sandrail? What needs to be done to the motor to get it ready to put in? Is there any company out there that can prep my motor? Thanks

I would give CBM a call. I am sure they can get it ready.

• 1 year later...

Caution on CBM, i say this to anyone that has purchased an LSI motor from CBM, check your block ID #'s, they buy the 5.3 LQ motor, bore it out to 5.7 and call it an LS1,

I found this after a purchase from CBM, i called them on it and the comments i got back is its the same as an LS1 motor, yea right

Bottom line i can't sell it as an LS1 because the block ID # says it a 5.3, buyer beware of CBM and check your block ID #

I can do it.....

First you need to decide what to run it...a oem pcm or aftermarket.I prefer oem on all na and most forced inducted engines under 1000 hp. Then decide on accesories. Car or truck....If its a budget build, then the truck may be the best way to go. A lq4 or lq9 (6.0's) are pretty low cost. Most are 1200 lately with accesories. A cam change in a 6.0(364) will yeild 370-390 rwhp with decent headers and few small mods. A 5.7 (346) will see 340 ish with a cam. There is no real defference from a 2007 up alum 5.3 that is bored to a original 5.7 alum block. Infact, there are basically 4 ls1 alum blocks anyways....and some are better then other. The bored 5.3 would be basically the same as the good 5.7 block.

Next, decide on wether your engine is a 24x or 58x engine. 24 teeth on the crank wheel or 58 teeth. Grey connector is 58...black is 24. Its typically easier to run a 24x engine only because its been out longer. A 1999 to a 2004 pcm is the best. Next decide if its a cable operated throttle body.....most are, but I ve dealt with electronic conversions. The easy non pull your hair out way is, if its going to be a cable operated tb, then use a cable pcm....meaning not a vette....or a newer truck basically. Just make sure your pcm is for a cable tb.

Wiring is easy....I use a guy in az....that makes me harnesses anyway I want....and he sells pcms pretty cheap as well.

There are small differences in some sensor plugs depending on year, and you should be aware of that when your considering a harness. When you get a tb...be aware thatthe 97/98 cable eccentric is different from the 99 up...so dont get a 97/98

also 97/98 engines...well live a alittle to be desired unless its a gooood deal.

If its a very new engine....not ls1, but like an ls3...ls9, lsa, etc the cam sensor was moved to the front cover (from the back), only an issue for wiring. Also a great cam.....is the ls9 cam.....which is on 97$ but it does require a front mount cam sensor,so a new front cover and sensor.

The budget way to get fuel to it, depends on the fuel rail you get. Some are return fuel and some are dead head. Depends on year and application. The vette fuel filter has a fp regulator built in though....so its a cost effective solution in some cases.

The stock coils are great.....They ve made 2000 hp....sodontgo buying msd coils...

On some blocks you can drill and tap a hole to mount the alternator...very easy alternator mount.

Theres other things....but these are the things off the top of my head.

oh, if they bored a 5.3 iron block....and called it an ls1.....well.....thats a 96 lb difference.....thats probably fraud.

A stock 5.3.....is very very strong. No need to bore one anyways. Ive got one that makes 700 awhp......for a few years now on 91 octane. 18 psi....day in and day out, driven to work everyday.

• 3 weeks later...

Caution on CBM, i say this to anyone that has purchased an LSI motor from CBM, check your block ID #'s, they buy the 5.3 LQ motor, bore it out to 5.7 and call it an LS1,

I found this after a purchase from CBM, i called them on it and the comments i got back is its the same as an LS1 motor, yea right

Bottom line i can't sell it as an LS1 because the block ID # says it a 5.3, buyer beware of CBM and check your block ID #

A cbm ls1 is NOT a gm ls1 this has been explained to you on other forums. including cbm offering you a trade back. your rail value actually is more desireable to many with a cbm motor than without. the ls1 is not the " holy grail" of motors nor a collectable motor it is just a motor. ls2 ls3 ls7 are more desirable than a lil bitty ls1 get over it !!!!

Edited by dunefreak
"you are a complete idiot" comment removed, kinda. lol

A cbm ls1 is NOT a gm ls1 this has been explained to you on other forums. including cbm offering you a trade back. your rail value actually is more desireable to many with a cbm motor than without. the ls1 is not the " holy grail" of motors nor a collectable motor it is just a motor. ls2 ls3 ls7 are more desirable than a lil bitty ls1 get over it !!!!

Edited by dunefreak, Today, 07:37 AM.

"you are a complete idiot" comment removed, kinda. lol

:slap::no::stick_smack::laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by SAND~~SNAKE

• 6 months later...