6 volt vs 12 volt

mineurbiz

I run two 12V but I will change to 6V when they die out.

The 6V are made for golf Carts and are capable to taking a charge and drain daily and keep the performance. go with two 6V. :beercheers:

See ya out there. :laughoff:

Edited by Jakster884

The 6 volt batterys are true deep cycle. They have much thicker plates and can handle deep discharges without sulfating as bad (the death of a battery). They also have a much higher amp hour rating at higher amp draw than a 12 volt battery. They are much heavier and taller than a 12 volt.

Bottom line, no comparison, two 6 volts are better.

think of it this way, the main purpose of the battery, a car battery is designed to start the motor (cca) then the alt. pretty much takes over from there and powers the acc., where as the 6v battery is designed to power a olf cart thru 18 holes of golf re-charge and do it again and again, i think they actually rate them at 3-4 games per day, so the way you draw power off if it is more like the 6v fashion than the 12v.

Thanks guys, that is what I thought, but to be honest I did not have the background to debate it with them, so I just left. Does anyone know if the diehard golf cart batteries are any good? I have some gift cards for Sears and if the batteries are worth it, I will use my gift card on them.

yeah not sure i that brand i always run the trojans, until recently now trying the energizers from sams, but i bet sears proabably has a good warranty with their batteries, would think it would not be a problem.

Edited by mush

i swithced after my 12volts died that came with my hauler to 2 6vs and never looked back...I have runa full 2 days without having to fire up the genny for things like the heater, lights and stereo...although most of the time i was out riding :beercheers:

I have the costco 6v. I have never compared them numbers-wise to trojans, but they are almost half the price @ 80 bucks apiece.

If you don't have a costco, or your costco doesnt carry them, get in touch with me and we can works something out because the b-field costco has em all day long

do you have to do any wireing changes from the gen to batts and are there any other mods that would have to be done does it affect the warranty i think i need to do mine cause batts wont make it threw a cold night with the heater on and thats going to bed at 2 am and waking up at 6 am

just some questions i was wondering about

Mark, I would defineatly go with the 6 volts. They are true deep cycle batteries and are made to charge and discharge many times. They have much bigger plates.

They make many different types and I went with the Lifeline batteries. They more expensive but they are suppose to last longer (7years). They are maintenance free sealed batteries. No filling, no leaking or sweating. You never have to fill them. And they are not messy like the old style wet acid cells.

I went with the 6cts. If you have the room, they are rated at 300 amp hours each. They are A(bsorbed) G(lass) M(at) style batteries and they love to be slammed with 100 plus amps on recharge.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=15

They have the smaller 220 amp hour ones also if you have limited space.

Mark, I would defineatly go with the 6 volts. They are true deep cycle batteries and are made to charge and discharge many times. They have much bigger plates.

They make many different types and I went with the Lifeline batteries. They more expensive but they are suppose to last longer (7years). They are maintenance free sealed batteries. No filling, no leaking or sweating. You never have to fill them. And they are not messy like the old style wet acid cells.

I went with the 6cts. If you have the room, they are rated at 300 amp hours each. They are A(bsorbed) G(lass) M(at) style batteries and they love to be slammed with 100 plus amps on recharge.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=15

They have the smaller 220 amp hour ones also if you have limited space.

Those look like a very nice battery and I would have room for two of those but WOW lol $340 each.

Those look like a very nice battery and I would have room for two of those but WOW lol $340 each.

They negotiate. I picked up 4 for 215 each.

Im sure the 4cts are quite a bit less.

The 6cts are 90 lbs each. I had to weld up support bracing just to handle the weight.

They negotiate. I picked up 4 for 215 each.

Im sure the 4cts are quite a bit less.

The 6cts are 90 lbs each. I had to weld up support bracing just to handle the weight.

I might have to call just to see what I can find them for. Worse case I will find some 6v to use and replace them with something better at later date if need be.

Edited by mineurbiz

• 4 weeks later...

Go with the 6volts fo sho. I have always run four of the Interstate 6v batts in mine. I'm on my second set now, the first four lasted 6 years!!.

Whichever ones you get make sure to check the water frequently and fully charge them as soon as you get back from a trip. don't wait until before the next time you go out. If you let them sit for a period of time while they are discharged they won't last very long. oh yeah, they also take a looooong time to charge.

there was a web site called "the twelve volt guy" that had tons of info about the differences in batts. also wiring diagrams if you need em

If you are just running two of em you'll need a short cable to connect the pos of one to the neg of the other. this essentially makes them one big twelve volt batt. then connect the neg cables from the trailer to the open neg post on one batt and connect the pos trailer cables to the open pos post on the other batt.

Good luck,

Kevin

If you have ever doubted swithing over to 2 6volt batteries try and pick one of these bad boys up. They weigh a ton! They are made to be drained and recharged over and over again. Do the swap and you'll be glad you did.

I just switched over to the 6v GC Batts. Costco. I will always bring a 12v battery along just in case one of the 6 volters fails. That is about the only drawback to running 2 6 volts. If one fails, you are S.O.L. If you have the room, put 4 of them on your rig. Then you are covered. If you care for them, they will last for years.

Edited by ntrsandman

• 4 months later...

:banghead: I'm due for new batteries on my hauler and thinking about 6 volt batteries as well. So how many people run 2 and how many people are running 4? You you need 4 or does it just help them last longer?

I run 4.

2 would work fine especially if your not running an inverter. If your running an inverter, you can also run with 2. 4 Just gives you longer runtime before you have to recharge.

• 2 months later...

WOW don't call batteries plus who is listed on Lifeline's web site as a distributor... so what model is it? (for the 4th time) :laughing: again I tell her, hmm I dont see that sir she says well can you bring one in? I say ugh Id have to go buy one to bring it in, kind of defeats the purpose... so she asks me what model moho I have.. I tell her (Fleetwood Providence) she says Oh hear it is Fleetwood and its a Cadillac correct?? :undecided: I say thanks for your time good bye!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

WOW don't call batteries plus who is listed on Lifeline's web site as a distributor... so what model is it? (for the 4th time) :laughing: again I tell her, hmm I dont see that sir she says well can you bring one in? I say ugh Id have to go buy one to bring it in, kind of defeats the purpose... so she asks me what model moho I have.. I tell her (Fleetwood Providence) she says Oh hear it is Fleetwood and its a Cadillac correct?? :undecided: I say thanks for your time good bye!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Lol/// I have to say.....LOL

Capt

:dope::laughoff:

Jeezuz!

cadillac fleetwood MOHO!!!........ you should have sprung for the El Dorado!! LOL!!!

on a side note, i was at the track for the weekend first trip out with the new hauler and 4 new 6V batteries, and they are champs! even when my "dummy" lights said that they were down to "fair", i put a meter on them and the still read 12.7 volts. i hit the gen. button and it cranked right over fast as ever. 6v is the only way to go.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone help with this..

I am going to run the 6 volts next weekend when I go camping again but had a question on the generator set up and all.

I get the fact that I have to bridge the 2 6 volts and wondered if I could hook the cables coming from my genertor to a seperate 12v batery just to fire it up when needed and then hook only the cables from the inside stuff to the 6volts.

Will it make a difference and will I be saving power or losing power and is this possible?

OR hooking all 4 wires up to the 6volts will be fine.

Stupid me just realized that I could have always hooked and bridged 2 batteries to my trailer, but it only came with 1 so I assumed it always only needed 1.

Thanks