Ever go riding in Big Bear?

Manxter

i can think of one VERY serious hairpin that you better take real slow and probly be in oncoming lane for a ways towing a 22 footer. but i'm sure it could be done if careful. big pine flat would be my favorite place as a base camp

I just got on mapquest and realized going through Lucerne takes me up he same mountain road. I've heard that going up the 38 on the other side is the easiest drive. It's an hour longer and 50 miles farther. I'm thinking that may be worth it. My truck/trailer weights are within limits but at the upper end. And I'll have the family with me.

the front side up the 330/38 is the easiest way up with no nasty turns... the back way is always fun in a small car though :P I dont know how i did it but i managed to make myself sick one trip up the mountain lol.. Not normal for me but damn it was fun.. Also roasted the clutch trying to get up the old dirt road going up the back side into lake arrowhead.. i knew i should have brought the truck that weekend lol

I've heard there are some fun trails up there.

But the road up there from the 247 has some serious hair pin turns and steep inclines. I wonder if I'd have trouble with my 22' trailer?

Bla Bla Bla... :beercheers:

I live in this frozen Hell called Big Bear...

If you have a under powered truck and you even think you may have a problem than take hwy 38 through the Redlands area. The back grade through Lucern Valley has a 8% to 16% Grade to climb with 2 VERY STEEP switch back corners that will stop your trip if you dont pay attention.

If you feel that you can make the trip than take a drive once up with out the trailer and check it out.

The Hwy 18 we are talking about has taken a few lives ovet the last 5 years... I have responded to a few accidents where people have lost their breaks and have gone over pulling trailers. I my self have lost the breaks on our 34Ft Motorhome one year driving down to Dumont...

Just be careful. That Hwy is very steep and can burn up your trans comming up and burn off your breaks going down..

Thanks for all the input. I'm actually in Big Bear right now skiing. This is my first time coming up here from Vegas on the north side (I used to live in So Cal). Those switch backs did take me by surprise and I was just driving the F150 with no trailer. We've got reservations at the Serrano campground in Aug. I've already decided we're gonna take the extra hour and 50 mi drive and go around to the 38. Thanks again for all the info. Can't wait to get my car up here and explore some trails!