Presidents Weekend 2010 reports & pics

dunefreak

Well we made it out only for the day on Saturday but it was well worth it. We got to see so many friends and finally met a few new DDR faces.

The weather couldn't have been nicer. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was sunny and very nice temps.

Man those dunes were brutal though. Wet and rutted up pretty bad. :blury:

We got there about 9:30 am Saturday, got unloaded and hit up Smokin Als for some breakfast. Thanks again Brian & Al. :beercheers: Much appreciated and great food! We also ran into Larry from the BLM over at vendor row too and said hi. :grin: It was quite comical to see him scold a rider after he took off a lil too hot out of a vendor's area. After chatting with a couple vendors and checking things out we headed back to camp.

We managed to get a couple decent runs in, but you couldn't get with it too much because as soon as you got a fast line going a group of duners would pop up over the next dune. I hate holiday weekends for duning. :headbang1:

We stopped on the way back from a run and watched the hill climbs. It was cool for a few minutes but then we were over it after a few pics. We ran in to a bunch of friends over there though. That's one good thing about the holidays. Friends and DDR peeps pop up everywhere ya go out there. :thumb:

We played a bunch on comp hill. There were a few cars running the hill and jumping off to the right. I pulled a couple lil wheelies at the comp of comp. That put a smile on my face. I think a black Rhino wanted to race me after I blew by him going up comp. Not sure why either because he would have had no chance. :coocoo: It was pretty fast though to see it go.

The DDR meet & greet was a good turnout as usual. I met a few new peeps from the site and chatted with a bunch of friends. It was great seeing barefoot bob & bpguy out at D again. Finally got to meet crappy from GD too. We've been tryin to hook up for years now to get a run in. Then after leaving the south pole we had a nice line of buggies and bikes in line. We were JUST getting going really good and having a good time duning when the tore up sand busted my rear control arm support. :dope: Everyone was super helpful with getting it rigged up so I could get back to camp. Thanks again guys! DDR family kicks a$$.

So after loading up the car we were gonna head right home, but started having too much fun with friends in camp. Beers and laughes were flowin. haha Then it was time to go home and we stopped at Smokin Als and partied with them for a lil while longer. haha good times guys. We were laughing our a$$es off.

It was a long drive home and I was super tired after a long day in the sun. WELL worth it though. Great seeing everyone.

Some pics...

vendor row...

P2131244.JPG

P2131245.JPG

chopped up face hill

IMG_2928-crop.jpg

more wet sand...

IMG_2931.JPG

glider guy :DDRrocks:

IMG_2933-crop.jpg

IMG_2935-crop.jpg

bpguy...

IMG_2942-crop.jpg

IMG_2968-crop.jpg

IMG_2980.JPG

barefizzle bizzle...

IMG_3005.JPG

low rider bob :coocoo: jiah

IMG_3008-crop.jpg

CaptnKllm

IMG_3014-crop.jpg

Hey LOU B! Were over here! :dayum::driver:

IMG_2971-crop.jpg

KRUSTY...

IMG_2953.JPG

looking south...

IMG_2958-crop.jpg

IMG_3010-crop.jpg

Anna took a pic of me taking ^ those pics :dayum:

P2131247-crop.jpg

when we stopped at the hill climbs...

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3023-crop.jpg

IMG_3036-crop.jpg

IMG_3020~0.JPG

IMG_3018-crop.jpg

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

monkie rubbin her booty on jakster at the meet & greet

P2131257.JPG

deja vu in more ways than one :dope::lol:

P2131268.JPG

:no_no: NOT cool... Very dangerous. :(

IMG_3050-crop.jpg

one of my faves from the day...

IMG_3056-crop_small.jpg

camp figure 8 :atc: races...

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3068~0.JPG

IMG_3075~0.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a some video :poop: from our little handheld camera. :bert:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well I hope they cleaned up the tracks after the figure 8 races :coocoo::beercheers::headbang1::DDRrocks::coocoo: and yes who ever the parents are of the kids in the rhino need to be smacked . not one of those kids were buckeled in not to mention the kid who was driving couldnt even see over the steering wheel shame on them

Edited by che che DD

I myself went out for Saturday. Day tripp N.

The weather was bitchen but the Dunes were Shredded. Had a chance to meet up with new DDR members and the regulars.

Rolled in at about 11Am checked out the Sand drags then Hit Banshee hill to see who was going to back up their :DDRrocks::coocoo: Massive talking. Bud From Quadrockets good chatting with you and Kurt. You took some and lost some. The 2 Strokes were definitly da fastest on the hill.

I was hesitant to leave at 6:30 when I did. I wanted to chill and drink some beers

:headbang1: But after riding the dunes it was not Dune worthy only Camp worthy and good company always rocks.

Hey Mark ( Mineurbiz) thanks for hooking up the 88 Kit. Good meeting you. Randy VW good luck with you wedding today.Glad to hear you found your Dune Mamasita...

Good seeing everyone out there JR120 Jorge loco. Skinner and wife. BP Guy. Mike and too many to list.Pete and Anna. Yiah

Also I seen way too many little kids running UTVS. Have not seen that in a long time. One little girl shot right past me and cut me off. Never even looked to notice what she was doing. Hey sandawg this was right out of the camp area must of been go 30MPH

Took a feww pis and still have a lot to learn when it comes to using this thing.

See ya next time at the dunes. :beercheers:

Sand Drags.

post-1377-1266192652_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266192682_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266192709_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266192755_thumb.jpg

Some Banshees. Fast mo Fo's

post-1377-1266192998_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193054_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193083_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193112_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193323_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193423_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193446_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193471_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193515_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193610_thumb.jpg

Bud & Kurt

post-1377-1266193732_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193760_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193786_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266193827_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194003_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194025_thumb.jpg

Campers.2010

post-1377-1266193950_thumb.jpg

A few peeps getting some air

post-1377-1266194134_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194159_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194179_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194201_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194228_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194326_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1266194352_thumb.jpg

Meet & Greet.

post-1377-1266194450_thumb.jpg

Pete on his way to M&G

post-1377-1266194397_thumb.jpg

When I left this guy decided to make an impossible U Turn. Short delay. Good thing for 4 Wheel drive.

post-1377-1266194549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jakster884

Pete:

Cool pictures!! You know the racin and trash talk is fun and all but that 70s ragatta looks like a blast!!!

Jakster :

Cool pics as well and good meeting you,!!! sorry If I seemed a bit rushed. I really was a bit focused on our bikes, the races and getting the Videos.. We will be camping next weekend, looking forward to a slow paced, Kick back , peaceful , Duner weekend.!!

Bud

Edited by Quadrockets

:beercheers::DDRrocks: i caramba !! got me again.

at least thats a fine lookin :headbang1:

you know where im gonna submit this right ................................................ :coocoo:

hey...at least it wasnt bowel movement Bob. :coocoo: Pete's got the eye for those one-off shots. He really knows how to get those "gorgeous moments

I am glad to see everyone had fun out at the dunes

Jakster, those pics look good man. looks like youve been doing your homework!

Pete's got the eye for those one-off shots. He really knows how to get those "gorgeous moments

I didn't take that pic. Anna did. I was working on getting my car rigged back together to drive it out of the bowl we were in.

I loved the drive out. I think it's the first time in all my years going to Dumont, that I could actually do 25 mph and not be shaking my rig apart. The road was so smooth and watered down. No dust. it was great.

visitors to vendors row actually seemed to do the speed limit there and they made very little dust. that was much appreciated by all the vendors!

We had a pretty good week end....a couple small miss haps but it went like this....

Loaded my trailer with.....count em 6 quads, and one 4 pass rail and 4 pass samaria, and an extra trailer with an old school vw two pass rail and 250 quad racer. 3 Cars and 7 quads..............

arrived fri morning....our group for some unknown reason like to be by bathroom 10....I hate it. but...if your not the first one there you dont get a choice, and I wasnt first. So be it. The throwout bearing went on the first or second ride fri in my car....so what do we do? We pull the motor and replace the bearing with hand tools and no hoist at all. (Its a 3.3 subie) Back running at 8 pm fri night, and go for night ride and the hill, a great end to a rough day, plus the 4 pizzas got there alittle late.

Great fun sat, kids rode the wheels off, and a huge huge fire sat night. Flames were probably 15 ft high. It was still going in the morning with no wood since about 9 pm.

Sunday we take the old school vw car out with the sammy. Great fun cause they are pretty evenly matched. The throttle stuck wid open on the vw car, and I was at the top of a razor....and went over the top but kept it old school side up. On a side note even with only 6 inches of suspension a lite car lands surprisingly well for being way too far off the ground. A quick repar to the throttle and we were back out again, changing drivers in both, having a great time. Later we realized the battery was dead on the sammy...when we were loading up. Hmmm open the hood......and the battery is GONE. Like vanished.....along with part of the mount. I posted in the lost and found section.

All told.....I broke a throwout bearing (fixed), lost a battery, the kids broke a polaris 50 rear suspension, killed something electrical on a 110, and I think thats it. I need to bleed the clucth on my rail, fix the battery and positive cable situation on the sammy, do some welding to the polaris 50, and rewire the 110 to bypass a solinoid that starts it.

Oh and I broke a cv in a turbo v8 car (saturday)that I built the turbo engine package for. That doesnt really count though since it makes enough power to break everything though. I think were gonna try u joint axles now. I sheared a stub axle last time in it and now the cv. The funny part is, that its making it least amount of power. Its just waistgate spring...with no timing yet. I looged it some saturday, made a tuning change(fuel), made some more power and promply broke the cv on the second run up comp (at the bottom).

No body got hurt and we air out the vw rail and the sammy a few times.

I had a great weekend, got to camp with some great people Burt, Tim, Travis, Brian, 80 grit and all the other "associated" cast. I got to play at the hill for a few with the YFZ and for the first time in a while, went on a decent length dune ride. Big thanks to Brian and Brian (sounds like a law firm) for getting me to go out this weekend it truly was a blast.

:headbang1: NOT cool... Very dangerous. :(

IMG_3050-crop.jpg

:DDRrocks: What are the parents thinking. :beercheers: Too bad the parents couldn't get sited and have their Rhino confiscated. They're probably the same people that would scream LAWSUIT if their kids got hurt by their own negligence.

Sounds like everyone had a great time. Great pics pete.

I sure wanted to go, I guess I could have, but some other things came up.......... like 7 inches, maybe more like 5. The Sami got a lift. It's a little insane but we will seen when it is finished. Still needs tires, wheels, shocks etc.... put back on.

I got my veggie garden tiled up and ready for planting.

Managed to fry my garbage disposal.

Buttcrack bob :coocoo:

Edited by desertskyz

We had a pretty good week end....a couple small miss haps but it went like this....

Loaded my trailer with.....count em 6 quads, and one 4 pass rail and 4 pass samaria, and an extra trailer with an old school vw two pass rail and 250 quad racer. 3 Cars and 7 quads..............

arrived fri morning....our group for some unknown reason like to be by bathroom 10....I hate it. but...if your not the first one there you dont get a choice, and I wasnt first. So be it. The throwout bearing went on the first or second ride fri in my car....so what do we do? We pull the motor and replace the bearing with hand tools and no hoist at all. (Its a 3.3 subie) Back running at 8 pm fri night, and go for night ride and the hill, a great end to a rough day, plus the 4 pizzas got there alittle late.

Great fun sat, kids rode the wheels off, and a huge huge fire sat night. Flames were probably 15 ft high. It was still going in the morning with no wood since about 9 pm.

Sunday we take the old school vw car out with the sammy. Great fun cause they are pretty evenly matched. The throttle stuck wid open on the vw car, and I was at the top of a razor....and went over the top but kept it old school side up. On a side note even with only 6 inches of suspension a lite car lands surprisingly well for being way too far off the ground. A quick repar to the throttle and we were back out again, changing drivers in both, having a great time. Later we realized the battery was dead on the sammy...when we were loading up. Hmmm open the hood......and the battery is GONE. Like vanished.....along with part of the mount. I posted in the lost and found section.

All told.....I broke a throwout bearing (fixed), lost a battery, the kids broke a polaris 50 rear suspension, killed something electrical on a 110, and I think thats it. I need to bleed the clucth on my rail, fix the battery and positive cable situation on the sammy, do some welding to the polaris 50, and rewire the 110 to bypass a solinoid that starts it.

Oh and I broke a cv in a turbo v8 car (saturday)that I built the turbo engine package for. That doesnt really count though since it makes enough power to break everything though. I think were gonna try u joint axles now. I sheared a stub axle last time in it and now the cv. The funny part is, that its making it least amount of power. Its just waistgate spring...with no timing yet. I looged it some saturday, made a tuning change(fuel), made some more power and promply broke the cv on the second run up comp (at the bottom).

No body got hurt and we air out the vw rail and the sammy a few times.

Dont run the Ujoint axles unless you want to spend 10k on a new tranny. Go to GD.com and read all the horror stories about ujoint axles.. NOT good. In a nut shell they dont plunge properly when under load and hammer the flanges on the tranny until the case breaks pretty much.

Well, my wife-to-be was busy on saturday so I decided to make a day trip to the D. As i'm leaving she says "better ride safe, you got a wedding to go to sunday". :coocoo::driver: ......sheesh,"i got more time in the dunes than you got on the sh*tter"...don't worry!.....entrance road being graded as i arrived around 1130 am.sweeeet. so as i arrive my buddy wade is gettin ready to go for a putt in his new $100k desert dynamics dual sport buggy "hop in" he says. so we head for the north pole. that ls7 motor moves that thing pretty good and what a plush ride! out in the dunes he turns it over to me. I'm kinda nervous about driving somebodies brand new sandrail that is worth more than the lives of my whole family :beercheers: but here goes nuthin(all the while remembering my wife to be's prophetic words). SWEETNESSSSSS what a nice riding car it is! got an hour or so of tearin' up the dunes under my belt and now i'm rejuvenated til i can get mine up and running again. back to camp and unload the bombbuhzeer and off to hook up with a couple friends on a FAST ride to the north pole. holdin' on for dear life :headbang1: havent been on the bike much in the last year or so, and it's startin' to show..... came off the top of a BIG dune in 4th gear near th bottom and didn't see that big :coocoo: woop at the bottom til late. bounced me off that seat about 3 feet :DDRrocks: .....close one....better slow down a little(i got a weddin' to make tomorrow!)......but wait a minute....i'm fallin' behind....awww eff it! I'm a man ain't i! gas this muffin hugger! we make it to north pole no further mishaps.....then back to camp....man oh man those dunes are tore up from the floor up! then it's off to the meet-n-greet....on the way i'm at the top of comp riding the ridge and i see this bike pop over the hill and at the last few seconds we have that moment of indecision and we hit each other and he takes a spill and i'm sittin with a killed engine on a wicked sidehill situation. as i'm gettin' off to see if the other guy is ok, not 6 feet from me two other motorcycles hit each other and end up on the ground. we ask each other if we are ok and not too much damnage(just a rash on one rear wheel)so off we go again. at the m&g i see a few old friends and have a nice talk with the dune monkie(she was more excited about the wedding than i was.....but don't tell my wife that!)....by the last ride it was so torn up out there i just don't know how the h*ll those peeps that weren't on bombuhdeers were able to stay on their bikes!(now that i think about it, by then the dunes were EMPTY compared to mid-day when you couldn't seem to get going without dodging another group).....back to camp and on the trailer head for home......but no, there's a fool tried to make a u-turn with a 40 foot motorhome and trailer jack-knifed and his hitch is hopelessly sitting on the ground with rear tires spinning near the entrance road....someone tried pulling him backwards via the trailer....but helen keller coulda seen that wasn't gonna git-r-done.....luckily the guy had onboard jacks so lifted back wheels, shoved some sand under and back in business....NOT....hitch still touching the pavement.....and now a car full of girls are stuck so NOBODY gets by....so i hook up a strap and jerk them out.....i've had enough of this....i got a wedding to git to....so off i go.....the guy in the moho had lots of help so i didn't feel to bad deserting him. many thanks to dunemonkie and jackster and all the others i can't think of for the best wishes on my wedding day.....i'm looking forward to spring break spending a few days at THE ddr camp(i know, i know) so youse guys can meet my new wife(she brings 3 quads to the mairrage!)

Dont run the Ujoint axles unless you want to spend 10k on a new tranny. Go to GD.com and read all the horror stories about ujoint axles.. NOT good. In a nut shell they dont plunge properly when under load and hammer the flanges on the tranny until the case breaks pretty much.

Listen to ISBB on this one, here is my old u-joint axle... :beercheers:

post-571-1266259725_thumb.jpg

Here's a some video :poop: from our little handheld camera. :bert:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watching this video is a perfect example of how F-UP the dunes were. Imagine on a quad all day no long travel. Fun as hell though. Still hurting.