Inyo PO POs in Tecopa Monday handing out tickets

Eliminator

A friend of mine said he got pulled over because his trailer fit the descrition of another trailer that was reported as hauling Mass Fire Arms across county line's. WTF ever. Then they proceed to write him a grip of tickets such as

overweight trailer no class C Lic. Empty beer cans in a trash bag on his trailer which they considered open containers, give me a break. Tinted window on his tow vehicle, and more totaling out to $7K in tickets. Anyone else run into these clowns? Sounds like there trying to stop all acess threw Tecopa to get to Dumont. I heard they were going to start targeting Tecopa really hard for Dunners. But this is just to much. I can see you break the law fine you desrve a ticket but this is horse S*%!. This guy is in no way a Violater and they tore his whole trailer apart looking for whatever they could ticket him on. I meen go threw his trash bags, how hard up are you guys target the real criminals?

Edited by Eliminator

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen them also... lucky to get through without getting pulled over... had some right in front of me and trailers behind me.. I was lucky... sad to see them causing such havoc.... I guess what we pay at the dunes doesnt help them much so they need to suck us dry... I was told there were 2 sheriff, 5 hwy patrol and a couple undercover cops.... Wow I didnt know that Duners were such criminals....

A total Waste of enforcement.... well mostly....sad it has come to this

Capt

hope you dont mind me answering big daves question.

you have to have a non-commercial calss A if you tow the following: travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs or with triple axle, 5th- wheel weighing over 15,000 lbs. regardless of the tow vehicle.

This is total bullshit. I looked into this when I bought my trailer. There is a thread somewhere back in RV chat about endorsements.

In Nevada, we don't have non-commercial class A licenses. That would technically be a class B license I think. Regardless, NV has a J endorsement which allows you to tow over 10K.

I went to the DMV one day to get my J endorsement application and info because my trailer's GVW is up there like 14,950. She asked me what my trailer weighed empty and I told her it's like 9300 empty. She then said I don't need the endorsement because the unladen weight was under 10K. I explained that it weighes easily over 13/14K loaded and she said it didnt matter. I was pretty uneasy about leaving it at that and just taking her word for it. I still plan to go down to the DMV and get it one of these days.

I bet they just don't want duners going thru Tecopa because they got a bunch of complaints. I always do the speed limit through there. It's a highway and I'm not going to stop using it. I pay out the a$$ for registration fees therefore I'm using the damn road! :MBdance:

This is total bullshit. I looked into this when I bought my trailer. There is a thread somewhere back in RV chat about endorsements.

In Nevada, we don't have non-commercial class A licenses. That would technically be a class B license I think. Regardless, NV has a J endorsement which allows you to tow over 10K.

I went to the DMV one day to get my J endorsement application and info because my trailer's GVW is up there like 14,950. She asked me what my trailer weighed empty and I told her it's like 9300 empty. She then said I don't need the endorsement because the unladen weight was under 10K. I explained that it weighes easily over 13/14K loaded and she said it didnt matter. I was pretty uneasy about leaving it at that and just taking her word for it. I still plan to go down to the DMV and get it one of these days.

I bet they just don't want duners going thru Tecopa because they got a bunch of complaints. I always do the speed limit through there. It's a highway and I'm not going to stop using it. I pay out the a$$ for registration fees therefore I'm using the damn road! :ahhhhh:

DITTO.... They can all :MBdance: Fortunatly for me I carry a commercial class A and Im with Vegas Style they better have a damn good reason to go piliging through my Rig before I hand over the keys. Ill play their game all GD day. Even go as far as let them tow my sh*t cause I have nothing to hide and everything to gain in a wrongful search and sesiure suit...Bring it on b*tches :thumb: It all really comes down to the fact that California is F'N broke and their doing everything they can do bring in revinue :usa:

This is complete crap...... Im willing to be a perfect target for them if you guys want to do it. Did they actually scale anyone?

I too would refuse to let them search anything. My grandfathers fought for the freedom, and Im expected to excercise that right.

My trailer is a 50ft enclosed trailer. PETE, nev DOES have a non com CLASS A, I have one. I think from memory all you need for over 10000 is the J endorsement. ALL WEIGHTS considered are loaded. ANYONE that asks what it weighs empty is INCORRECT. ITS GVW and GCVW. My trucks gvw by manufacurer is 11k, and my trailer is 15500. So my gcvw is 26500 which allowed me to get my non commercial class A.

Easy test, written and driving test with the trailer. You have to do it late afternoon though for the back up test......get the shadow 90 degrees to the trailer to hit the line. (hint)

It was real cheap.

This is blatant harrassment. Ill drive thru when they are targeting it if three of you guys go too.....and as soon as one is pulled over we ll stop with video rolling. The news (san bernadino sheriff would love that)

Whats with the law of reciprocation anyways....I dont see how they can right a tint ticket for a nev reg veh if its legal in NV? It would be like saying your truck cant pull 10k lbs.....or well fine you for every 100 lbs over or something....its legal in NV so its legal when you VISIT. Or is it NOT the UNITED STATES anymore, I may have missed the MEMO.

Id even roll thru empty and stil refuse to open up. Not that you can evn get thru my trailer loaded very well though. I had 6 quads, and two cars in it.....my trailer is a 96 and the weight sticker is imppossible to read, so I fail to see how they could even right me for over weight if I was....(I m not when I go to dumont though) They would not be able to effectively determine my gcvw.

I want to burn these guys. All the people on I15 going 100 mph.....and they ant to target Tecopa? They only traffic they get, with 5 to 10 officers? Yea, thats sounds news worthy to anyone running for office...and Im sure they would pick it up.

I just went and picked up the book, if your GCWR exceed 26,000lbs you need a non commercial class A. So my door sticker says gvwr is 13,000lbs, my trailer says 13,500lbs =26,500lbs. Also the lady stated they are no longer giving out books to study, once they are out that's it.

Edited by cthehentz

I was pulled over monday about noon. Was driving thru tecopa in a group of about 6-7 vehicles, INYO county sheriff busts a u-turn and follows us a ways. He goes around the super duty behind me and ends up pulling me over for not seeing any sign of registration on the trailer. The plate broke off the previous week, which it actually did and the trailer still had the top half of the plate on hit. Luckily for me, the guy was cool, showed him the registration and checked vin numbers, bullshitted a bit then sent me on my way. Never hassled me about anything else, guess i was one of the lucky ones

that is horseshit none the less. and your all right, the only way they could get in and look in your hauler or your truck is IF you give them permission, and they have to have probable cause to even look, probable cause could almost be anything because it is determined as "Officer Descretion" and it is anything that is visable from the officers view. As for the hauler, the beer cans in a trash bag is a bullshit ticket, it is considered trash, and for it to be considered an open container ticket, they have to be within reach of the occupants, (to include truck bed, you can get a ticket for that, but usually wont hold up in court). and yes if they don not have probable cause then NO they can not just search your truck or hauler, and even so, tell them you want a warrant anyway.

Most LEO's will even attempt to threaten you with a K9 for drugs, and if it hits and sits, then they can search, but still i would ask for a warrant.

Iam a law abiding citizen, and usually i dont care if a police officer wants to search my vehicle, then go right ahead, but if they are a jerk, then i just tell them NO. usually they ask if i have something to hide and i tell them no, i just dont think you need to invade my privacy in hopes to find something to write me a ticket. so....get a warrant...usually ill be on my way within 10 minutes.

Anyone who has been pulled over while driving can relate to the sinking feeling that strikes once the multicolor police lights ricochet off the rear-view mirrors and into the drivers sight. Once the cars are parked on the side of the road, the officer confidently strides toward the car and requests paperwork. Then, nonchalantly, he springs the question: Can I search your car?

In most cases, the request seems harmless. But in some instances, an individual might be embarrassed to let an officer search his car. The potential shame can come from any number of materials, including intimate items, medical treatments, and LA Clippers memorabilia.

Many citizens are unsure about whether or not they must consent to a search of their vehicles.

Probable Cause

The Fourth Amendment of the Constitution guarantees the right of the people to be secure in their persons . . . and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures. In order for a search to be reasonable in the absence of consent, the officer must have probable cause to believe that a crime has been, is being, or will be committed.

Drivers should be familiar with two important probable-cause rules. The first is the plain-sight rule, which says that anything in the cars cabin that the officer can plainly see from outside is fair game. The second is the furtive-gesture rule, which means that an officers observance of actions inside the car that can be reasonably perceived as attempts to destroy or remove evidence gives the officer permission to search.

Another common source of probable cause is odor. If an officer smells alcohol or marijuana smoke, he will probably question the driver about it. This line of questioning often results in field sobriety tests.

Federal and state Supreme Court opinions from 2005 explore the boundaries of probable cause and police searches.

Without Probable Cause

In Illinois v. Caballes, 125 S. Ct. 834 (2005), a state trooper stopped the defendant for speeding. While the first officer wrote a warning ticket to the driver, who was sitting in the police car, another agent walked his canine around the defendants car. The canine alerted at the trunk of the car, and the officers searched it. Finding marijuana, the troopers arrested the defendant. Id.

The seized evidence was allowed at trial; and the defendant was convicted, sentenced, and fined. The Illinois Supreme Court reversed; but in a 6-2 opinion, the United States Supreme Court reinstated the conviction. Id.

The holding in Caballes was: A dog sniff conducted during a concededly lawful traffic stop that reveals no information other than the location of a substance that no individual has any right to possess does not violate the Fourth Amendment. Caballes, __ U.S. at __. What this holding means is that an officer does not need probable cause to use a canine to detect contraband inside a vehicle as long as the detection occurs while the driver is being detained for a lawful purpose. However, the Court warned, A seizure that is justified solely by the interest in issuing a warning ticket to the driver can become unlawful if it is prolonged beyond the time reasonably required to complete that mission. Id.

and per the K9 this is a good case to look at: In Lilley v. Arkansas, 2005 WL 1244872 (Ark. 2005),

Dealing with the Police

The best way to deal with police is to know your rights while remaining polite and respectful. Refusing consent to a search of your vehicle is your right. The police must have probable cause to believe that you are involved in a crime before they search without your consent. The police may detain you only for the period of time that it takes them to complete whatever paperwork or background checks they are lawfully doing. Once the administrative work is finished, you are free to leave unless the police officer places you under arrest for committing a specific crime.

Remember to be courteous and cooperative. Misbehavior will only make the police more aggressive; and if you act egregiously enough, your actions can constitute probable cause. The other thing you should almost never do is to admit to breaking the law.

An experienced defense attorney can investigate a traffic stop to make sure that every aspect of it was permissible. A lawyer can advise you of remedies in the unfortunate event that the police have violated your rights. If the police have performed an illegal search, an attorney must work to ensure that the evidence they collected be excluded if the case goes to trial.

Edited by RAGDOLL MX

A friend of mine said he got pulled over because his trailer fit the descrition of another trailer that was reported as hauling Mass Fire Arms across county line's. WTF ever. Then they proceed to write him a grip of tickets such as

overweight trailer no class C Lic. Empty beer cans in a trash bag on his trailer which they considered open containers, give me a break. Tinted window on his tow vehicle, and more totaling out to $7K in tickets. Anyone else run into these clowns? Sounds like there trying to stop all acess threw Tecopa to get to Dumont. I heard they were going to start targeting Tecopa really hard for Dunners. But this is just to much. I can see you break the law fine you desrve a ticket but this is horse S*%!. This guy is in no way a Violater and they tore his whole trailer apart looking for whatever they could ticket him on. I meen go threw his trash bags, how hard up are you guys target the real criminals?

Hope your friend plans to fight these tickets!! They write those tickets with the expectation that people are just going to pay them and not show up to court.

I'm surprised they were smart enough to use the 'your vehicle matches the description of' excuse to justify the stop and the search :ahhhhh: . A lot of people don't know their rights when it comes to vehicle and personal searches.

Automobile Exception

The automobile exception says that if police have probable cause to believe that a vehicle contains contraband or evidence of a crime, they can search the vehicle without a warrant. Similarly, if an officer has probable cause to believe that the automobile itself is contraband (i.e. a vehicle used for transporting cocaine), the officer can search and seize the automobile without a warrant.

Scope of Search

If police have probable cause to search the vehicle, the automobile exception gives them the right to search the "entire vehicle." This includes the trunk and all containers within the vehicle that might contain the object for which they have probable cause to believe exists. If the officer has probable cause to believe that a dead body is in the vehicle, the officer cannot search a tiny container (where a dead body clearly could not be). Notably, the passengers belongings might be searched as well under the automobile exception.

Probable Cause is defined as "the facts and circumstances within the arresting officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime."

The problem is the Officer doesn't have to prove/justify what he claims his knowledge is...

Did they weigh the trailer??

Just for general knowledge here is the NV laws....

NRS 484.755 "Any officer of the Nevada Highway Patrol having reason to believe that the weight of a vehicle and load is unlawful may require the driver to stop and submit to a weighing of the vehicle either by means of portable or stationary scales and may require that the vehicle be driven to the nearest public scales, if they are within 5 miles."

The fine is based on the amount of excessive weight per NRS 484.757, so how can they access the fine/write the ticket without the actual weight?? http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec755

From what I can find, the law is the same in CA.

Beer cans in a trash bag in the bed of a vehicle can not be considered open containers per NRS 484.448 "it is unlawful for a person to have an open container of an alcoholic beverage within the passenger area of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is upon a highway" “Passenger area” means that area of a vehicle which is designed for the seating of the driver or a passenger. http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec448

The law is the same in Cali.

Cali police citing for NV tint laws :MBdance: , they can't enforce laws outside of their jursidiction and a veh registered in NV is not subject to the non-moving traffic laws in other states. But did they even use a meter to test the tint level?

In NV the level is “a total light transmission of not less than 35 percent with a tolerance of 7 percent” and all windows except the windshield can be tinted. The NRS is 484.619 and 484.6195 http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Nrs/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec619

Hope your friend plans to fight these tickets!! They write those tickets with the expectation that people are just going to pay them and not show up to court.

I'm surprised they were smart enough to use the 'your vehicle matches the description of' excuse to justify the stop and the search :shake: . A lot of people don't know their rights when it comes to vehicle and personal searches.

Automobile Exception

The automobile exception says that if police have probable cause to believe that a vehicle contains contraband or evidence of a crime, they can search the vehicle without a warrant. Similarly, if an officer has probable cause to believe that the automobile itself is contraband (i.e. a vehicle used for transporting cocaine), the officer can search and seize the automobile without a warrant.

Scope of Search

If police have probable cause to search the vehicle, the automobile exception gives them the right to search the "entire vehicle." This includes the trunk and all containers within the vehicle that might contain the object for which they have probable cause to believe exists. If the officer has probable cause to believe that a dead body is in the vehicle, the officer cannot search a tiny container (where a dead body clearly could not be). Notably, the passengers belongings might be searched as well under the automobile exception.

Probable Cause is defined as "the facts and circumstances within the arresting officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime."

The problem is the Officer doesn't have to prove/justify what he claims his knowledge is...

Did they weigh the trailer??

Just for general knowledge here is the NV laws....

NRS 484.755 "Any officer of the Nevada Highway Patrol having reason to believe that the weight of a vehicle and load is unlawful may require the driver to stop and submit to a weighing of the vehicle either by means of portable or stationary scales and may require that the vehicle be driven to the nearest public scales, if they are within 5 miles."

The fine is based on the amount of excessive weight per NRS 484.757, so how can they access the fine/write the ticket without the actual weight?? http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec755

From what I can find, the law is the same in CA.

Beer cans in a trash bag in the bed of a vehicle can not be considered open containers per NRS 484.448 "it is unlawful for a person to have an open container of an alcoholic beverage within the passenger area of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is upon a highway" “Passenger area” means that area of a vehicle which is designed for the seating of the driver or a passenger. http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec448

The law is the same in Cali.

Cali police citing for NV tint laws :blink: , they can't enforce laws outside of their jursidiction and a veh registered in NV is not subject to the non-moving traffic laws in other states. But did they even use a meter to test the tint level?

In NV the level is “a total light transmission of not less than 35 percent with a tolerance of 7 percent” and all windows except the windshield can be tinted. The NRS is 484.619 and 484.6195 http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Nrs/NRS-484.html#NRS484Sec619

Wow!!! well said. Way to do your homework, you go girl !!!!! :ahhhhh: :thumb:

Hello, newbie here. I have a Non-comm Class A also, got it back in October.

It consisted of a written test at the DMV (studied, took and passed while waiting to be called for another registration issue). Submit a medical form, just includes signed statements from you. No doctor visit required. Then a driving test is required. You have to know and demonstrate what to look for in a walk around vehicle inspection and trailer inspection. There is an on site driving test - stop, turn, straight back up and 90 degree "dock space" back up. The back up test is the same as big rig but it's nearly impossible with a 38 foot 5th wheel because the axles are too far forward (unlike semi trailer) and the space is very small. It only costs you a point if your not perfect. Then there is a road test - about 30 minutes of small streets, turns and freeway. No big deal. I only missed the 1 point for the "dock" parking.

I got the NC Class A because my trailer is rated at 15500 lbs (thanks for the extra 500 pounds aholes at Keystone) and I didn't want to be hassled. I'm sure they will get me for lowered, tint, ...... but I do have an AZ registration now so I hope that helps.

The testing instructor says that they do very little of the NC Class A tests in San Bernardino.

Hope this helps.

California is F'N broke and their doing everything they can do bring in revinue :ban-split:

:flipoff::isbb::beercheers::headbang1::headbang1:

this is exactly right. i got busted for some bs in the dunes and had to go to court in barstow 3 f'n times.. and while i was there i was talking to a few other people and appearantly california police are arresting people for j walking now! j walking!!!! same as ticketing bicycle riders for not walking bikes across an intersection, speeding 1-2 mph over the limit, and other nonsense like this. oh and if you are caught going over 100 on any road or highway that can land you in jail as well as suspension of license. arnold's broke @ss just needs more money plain and simple.

i had a few buddies that got tickets passing tecopa too for having their trucks lifted too high and something about the headlights being too high off the road. more BS :ban-split:

and everybody talking about fighting tickets, its not that easy. it requires you to show up to court in another city or state (depending where you live), on weekdays only (which most people have to work durring), and almost always you will have to return more than once if you plead not guilty in order to have a trial. thats how my experience with the california courts has gone. its sh*tty they make it a huge pain in the @ss for out-of-towners ON PURPOSE

it's all BS :banghead:

spend those tax dollars trying to catch criminals, not people visiting their state to have fun and spend money