Little help. Looking to buy first TH.

ricepow

So I'm looking to buy a used toy hauler and hoping all the knowledge and experience you guys have can help me make the right decision. Basically my budget and needs are causing me to look towards the Weekend Warrior FS2300. I have a 2009 Nissan Titan with the tow package and intend to have a 4 seater long travel Rhino in the trailer. Not looking to get a different vehicle, so this is the vehicle I am working with. My budget is putting me in the area of the 2005 FS2300, as I am looking to pay cash and do not want a payment. If I found a stellar deal or saved a bit more I may be able to snag a 2006. Apparently there are some differences between the 2005 and 2006, one of which is a larger generator, Onan 2800 vs Onan 4000. Not sure if there may also be a larger AC or heater making the larger generator necessary, or they just decided to put a bigger one in, maybe somebody here knows. I guess my major question is, will the 2005 serve the purpose or are there changes that were made in 2006 that make it worth going for. And of course any other information you guys can give me would be great. Thanks.

I am more concerned about your truck holding up over a few duning seasons towing the fs23

from the research i got, it showed your truck has a tow cap of 9300, while the fs2300 dry is around 5k empty, and maxs out at a gvwr of 9k

i would be worried about the wear and tear on your truck...not that i wouldnt worry about the wear and tear of any 1/2 ton towing a toy hauler

I first started towing with my wife's tahoe, my attitude fk 19 there were times i was completely worried about breaking down because of the strain and stress towing the hauler put on the power train.

however, if you are dead set on this, just drive very easy, and avoid big hills if you can

BTW...go wit the 2006 and the 4k genny you cannot run a microwave with the 2800

you also need to think about things like the number of people you plan on taking with you, as well as the size of the bathroom, water capacities, etc

with my two kids , my wife and myself, we easily rip through 150 gallons of fresh water in a weekend...as we are not the best conservers

I think the hauler you are looking at has a capacity of around 60 to 80 gal of fresh water?

Edited by Richard Cheese

i tow a small hauler with my 04 nissan titan 4x4. it has enough power but you WILL need overload springs or airbags. the weak point on my truck is the brakes and rear end. think your 09 shouldnt have those problems.

by the way im shopping for a duramax right now because i work the titan to hard!

post-978-1266435390_thumb.jpg

I would go with the Onan 4000 unless you are not really going to use electricity. I would look at the amount of space you need today but also if you plan on making other purchases in the future which will accommodate the space you will need later.

If you go with the front bath room you will have extra room for the toys. If you go with a front bed room you will be very limited to what you can bring along with.

Hell who needs water just bring a few cases of beer and you will be fine. Good luck. :ban-split:

Edited by Jakster884

I am more concerned about your truck holding up over a few duning seasons towing the fs23

from the research i got, it showed your truck has a tow cap of 9300, while the fs2300 dry is around 5k empty, and maxs out at a gvwr of 9k

i would be worried about the wear and tear on your truck...not that i wouldnt worry about the wear and tear of any 1/2 ton towing a toy hauler

I first started towing with my wife's tahoe, my attitude fk 19 there were times i was completely worried about breaking down because of the strain and stress towing the hauler put on the power train.

however, if you are dead set on this, just drive very easy, and avoid big hills if you can

BTW...go wit the 2006 and the 4k genny you cannot run a microwave with the 2800

you also need to think about things like the number of people you plan on taking with you, as well as the size of the bathroom, water capacities, etc

with my two kids , my wife and myself, we easily rip through 150 gallons of fresh water in a weekend...as we are not the best conservers

I think the hauler you are looking at has a capacity of around 60 to 80 gal of fresh water?

Hey, thanks for the response. Like you I am somewhat concerned that I will be close to my max tow rating. I have spoken with other people who have this identical setup and they seem to feel it does ok with the use of a proper hitch/weight distribution setup, as well as some are using airbags. Obviously these do nothing for the power of the truck, but they feel its manageable. I dont intend on trying to break any speed records (manual advises to tow at speeds no greater than 60) and would be cautious, and to be totally honest, I really dont get out as much as I would like, so the truck will not see heavy amounts of use towing the trailer. Not trying to convince you to support the idea, lol. Maybe sometime in the far future I would consider a diesel, but this truck only has about 10k miles on it so I plan to keep it for a while, and if something happens.....well I guess its covered under warranty as long as i dont exceed its advertised tow specs. The main reason I am looking at this trailer, is that it is the lightest, front sleeper I can find and afford, as well as having the amount of cargo space needed for the Rhino. I just really like the idea of the front sleeper and it seems like other trailers that are smaller weigh close to the same, so why not just get the larger trailer. I appreciate the input on the generator, I am pretty ignorant about these things right now. As far as the fresh water, they come with a 100 or 105 gallon tank, so I think Ill be ok with that. Just have to not go crazy. Any other info you guys have I really appreciate it.

I would go with the Onan 4000 unless you are not really going to use electricity. I would look at the amount of space you need today but also if you plan on making other purchases in the future which will accommodate the space you will need later.

If you go with the front bath room you will have extra room for the toys. If you go with a front bed room you will be very limited to what you can bring along with.

Hell who needs water just bring a few cases of beer and you will be fine. Good luck. :ban-split:

Thanks. Based on what you guys are saying Ill try to find an 06 then. I like the front sleeper idea and Im pretty much only going to have the Rhino. I have a bike now but its up for sale, so all I really need the space for is the Rhino. I agree with the less water more beer statement, haha.

if your going to tow with the titan get the Deep trans pan that is offered.. it will be worth it. There are a few people with titans towing similar and have done fine over the years.. Also i would suggest getting the trailer weighed they are pigs and no where near their listed weight. Im willing to lay odds a decently loaded trailer empty will be around 7k plus water gear and rhino you will probably be exceeding your truck and trailers GVWR.. I would find a nice short front bath model something smaller and lighter if it were me.

if your going to tow with the titan get the Deep trans pan that is offered.. it will be worth it. There are a few people with titans towing similar and have done fine over the years.. Also i would suggest getting the trailer weighed they are pigs and no where near their listed weight. Im willing to lay odds a decently loaded trailer empty will be around 7k plus water gear and rhino you will probably be exceeding your truck and trailers GVWR.. I would find a nice short front bath model something smaller and lighter if it were me.

I started looking at some of the smaller Eclipse Attitude trailers and Extreme MegaLite trailers. Did some reading on another forum and sounds like WW had some significant frame and tongue issues I'd prefer not to deal with, so maybe I should look at some other brands. I know there is another post very similiar to this where somebody is asking for suggestions on a 1/2 ton towable TH, but can you guys maybe give some suggestions based on the information provided as to what you feel would be good. Not really interested in the Carson based on them not having the on-board generators and I really dont want to be crammed in a 16ft trailer. Id rather have to slow poke it on the way there than be miserable once I got there, but at the same time I dont want to jeopordize my families safety.

Edited by ricepow

I have an 07 WWFS2300....you might want to measure the width and hieght of your rhino. If you have the 2 drop down beds in the back, not sure the rhino will fit. Width wise it should, but just check, there are 2 ( 1 on each side) little step thingy under the couch and other window that sticks out about 6 in. That might cause some trouble, since the Rhino is longtravel. BUT, for me , the trailer is perfect size for my wife and I, and has great features for us.

I have an 07 WWFS2300....you might want to measure the width and hieght of your rhino. If you have the 2 drop down beds in the back, not sure the rhino will fit. Width wise it should, but just check, there are 2 ( 1 on each side) little step thingy under the couch and other window that sticks out about 6 in. That might cause some trouble, since the Rhino is longtravel. BUT, for me , the trailer is perfect size for my wife and I, and has great features for us.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe since you have that exact model you could possibly provide me with those measurements? lol I believe the 2006 only has a single drop down queen in the rear, so I may be ok with that year. I am running stock offset wheels on my Rhino so I'm pretty sure width will not be an issue. It is about 69" wide at the widest point and I think Ive read the width is in the mid 70s in those trailers. Its about 73" tall with the stock cage, which will soon be replaced by a lower 4 seater cage, so that may be an issue if I get one with double drop down queens, or maybe not. My Rhino fit in my friends Attitude with double drop down queens, but then again I had to air way down to fit in my friends single drop down Rampage. If you get a chance and can get those measurements that would be awesome. If you dont mind me asking...what is your tow vehicle?

I have a 2006 Keystone NRG 23 front bedroom. Before I got my F350 I towed the toyhauler with my 2004 Armada with a tow package. Never had any problems just MPG was bad around 9 MPG. I have a Rhino with a custom 4 seat cage on it and it clears both the drop down beds.

I have a 2006 Keystone NRG 23 front bedroom. Before I got my F350 I towed the toyhauler with my 2004 Armada with a tow package. Never had any problems just MPG was bad around 9 MPG. I have a Rhino with a custom 4 seat cage on it and it clears both the drop down beds.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I don't expect to get good mileage or anything. Hell I get 13ish running around town with nothing hooked up to it, lol. Thanks again.

If it helps any our 05 ww fs3000 is 72" clearance under the rear single bunk.

Thanks for the info.

And thanks maverick for the CL suggestion. Ive been looking in both AZ and CA on there. Just waiting on some funds to come through before I can start getting serious.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe since you have that exact model you could possibly provide me with those measurements? lol I believe the 2006 only has a single drop down queen in the rear, so I may be ok with that year. I am running stock offset wheels on my Rhino so I'm pretty sure width will not be an issue. It is about 69" wide at the widest point and I think Ive read the width is in the mid 70s in those trailers. Its about 73" tall with the stock cage, which will soon be replaced by a lower 4 seater cage, so that may be an issue if I get one with double drop down queens, or maybe not. My Rhino fit in my friends Attitude with double drop down queens, but then again I had to air way down to fit in my friends single drop down Rampage. If you get a chance and can get those measurements that would be awesome. If you dont mind me asking...what is your tow vehicle?

I tow it with an 04 F150

What's the capacity of the black tank in the FS2300? I love our Raptor tow behind trailer, but the black tank is only 28 gallons. We do okay on long weekends and just spent a week in Dumont, but it was close. We don't bring friends because we filled the black once when friends join us (I think they used too much TP). Plus it makes a good excuse to go with just the 2 of us! :DDRrocks:

Our friend bought a Jayco 24 ft trailer. He towed it okay with his F150, but finally gave in and bought a F250 (which is much easier for him to tow). With the F150, he couldn't exceed 40 MPH going up the Baker grade.

I'd check the gen hours on whatever trailer you purchase. Also, talk to OGP as he often has some good repos for sale. :watching:

Hey, thanks for the response. Like you I am somewhat concerned that I will be close to my max tow rating. I have spoken with other people who have this identical setup and they seem to feel it does ok with the use of a proper hitch/weight distribution setup, as well as some are using airbags. Obviously these do nothing for the power of the truck, but they feel its manageable. I dont intend on trying to break any speed records (manual advises to tow at speeds no greater than 60) and would be cautious, and to be totally honest, I really dont get out as much as I would like, so the truck will not see heavy amounts of use towing the trailer. Not trying to convince you to support the idea, lol. Maybe sometime in the far future I would consider a diesel, but this truck only has about 10k miles on it so I plan to keep it for a while, and if something happens.....well I guess its covered under warranty as long as i dont exceed its advertised tow specs. The main reason I am looking at this trailer, is that it is the lightest, front sleeper I can find and afford, as well as having the amount of cargo space needed for the Rhino. I just really like the idea of the front sleeper and it seems like other trailers that are smaller weigh close to the same, so why not just get the larger trailer. I appreciate the input on the generator, I am pretty ignorant about these things right now. As far as the fresh water, they come with a 100 or 105 gallon tank, so I think Ill be ok with that. Just have to not go crazy. Any other info you guys have I really appreciate it.

I understand the front sleeper that's why I like the 21' Shockwave or Sandstorm and it's lighter at about 7600 gross. Rhino might be a problem as I recall it the trailers are 62" wide inside and has cabinets the length of the trailers so the cage might be an issue too. You need to check high as well as low. I don't know how wide the Rhino is......maybe you need to get a RZR:)

I don't like to run more than 65 when towing with my Titian. It's too hard on the truck and if you don't have E rated trailer tires too hard on them as well. Stock C rated tires are within a few pounds of being maxed out at about this gross trailer weight and get hot fast at higher speeds. Most trailer tires are made in China these days so when I see that 36' hauler doing 85 mph I don't care that's it's a big 1 ton pulling it.

I guess most duners being duners tend to be in a hurry. Having pulled a lot over 80,000 I don't get in too much of a hurry. I had to do it with 350hp and not 600hp which I would have preferred but it still got there safely and I didn't beat my equipment to crap doing it. Had to do it on 20" tube type trailer tires too which anybody that's been there does not remember fondly.

I was dead last getting there this weekend running 75mph and should have left when I wanted instead of standing around BSing or I'd have finished better but I didn't know it was a race:)

I've got air bags and didn't think I'd need a weight distribution hitch but I bought a Husky center line anyway. At $750 it may have been the best money I've ever spent.

I think Vegas Style has springs and he's and most of this group are right bigger trucks are better but I can't always have every thing I want (at least right away.)

Eli

Yeah Im having a really hard time trying to make a decision. I was initially looking at the WW FS2300, but after doing some reading about the frame issues and the multi-million dollar class action suit Im not sure how I feel about them. As with anything, Im sure there are plenty out there that have had no problems, but to know I may have an issue with the tongue or frame bending on me does not put the greatest thoughts in my mind. I have started to look at the Eclipse Attitude 23FSAK. Overall the Attitude users seem to be pretty happy and I really haven't heard anything negative about them, and Eclipse is still in business. I inquired with a seller of an 05 as to the UVW of the trailer and he said the sticker reads 5550lbs. By my math I would be near 8000lbs with the Rhino loaded, water, gas, propane, and batteries. Not sure if my math and thinking is correct. Id really like something with a front sleeper, a drop down rear, and ability to hold the Rhino, being towed by the Titan. Any ideas, thoughts, and sugggestions are greatly appreciated. I know I wont be hauling a$$, that doesnt bother me, and Ive already invested in a Tekonsha P3 and some Firestone airbags, so Im trying to do what I can to make the tow as safe and enjoyable as possible. Like you (eli), I cant buy a new tow vehicle, this is what I have to work with. Thanks everyone for the help so far, keep the ideas rolling.

What's the capacity of the black tank in the FS2300? I love our Raptor tow behind trailer, but the black tank is only 28 gallons. We do okay on long weekends and just spent a week in Dumont, but it was close. We don't bring friends because we filled the black once when friends join us (I think they used too much TP). Plus it makes a good excuse to go with just the 2 of us! :ahhhhh:

Our friend bought a Jayco 24 ft trailer. He towed it okay with his F150, but finally gave in and bought a F250 (which is much easier for him to tow). With the F150, he couldn't exceed 40 MPH going up the Baker grade.

I'd check the gen hours on whatever trailer you purchase. Also, talk to OGP as he often has some good repos for sale. :laughoff: Thats a great idea right there!!!!! :laughoff: