sandcar is all fixed up

dunefreak

President's weekend some of you might remember me talking about me breaking something on my car. Well here it is.

The rear, lower control arm mount cracked and snapped a part of the lower tube on the frame. It wasn't much of a suprise that it happened considering the condition of the dunes that weekend and the fact that we already knew that it was a weak area on these and Hotrails' cars. There is was no bracing from side to side between the mounts and with all the sliding and side to side hammering it was getting that day it broke. Yeah I know you are all very suprised I managed to break a sandrail right? (Mr. R&D driver right here :clap: haha)

Normally I'd be hesitant to ever post up pics of my damaged rail on the internet, but considering how well of a job Tim (limodriver) did I am very confidant and happy with it. It is way stronger than before and a small problem area has been fixed correctly. Thanks again Tim. You do great work.

Anyone needing their stuff fixed up or small fab work done give this guy a shout! :clap:

BEFORE:

cracked at the front and 2 dunes later it pulled out

post-3-1267072924_thumb.jpg

then after ratchet strapping it together, I limped it back to camp and it finished itself off. :lol:

post-3-1267072958_thumb.jpg

AFTER

Tim completely changed out the lower tube with .120 wall chromolly. Then he sleeved & plug welded the inside of the tube with 1 1/4" .120 wall tubing. It is sleeved from where it meets up with the frame at the front and goes all the way back to the bend at the rear. So now the tubing that the rear control arms mount to is essentially 1/4" thick. Then a cross bar was added from side to side to handle the side to side load.

post-3-1267073359_thumb.jpg

post-3-1267073395_thumb.jpg

post-3-1267073424_thumb.jpg

Now it's time for some paint. Paging Ken's Colors! :clap::lol:

Looks good Pete, Simple but looks like that's what it needed there in the first place.

What about that forward link? (The bar rubbing against the tire) Did it bend back straight or did you replace that one as well?

Looks good Pete, Simple but looks like that's what it needed there in the first place.

What about that forward link? (The bar rubbing against the tire) Did it bend back straight or did you replace that one as well?

There wasn't much bend to them. He was able to straighten those out with no problem.

Well, I got her just about all painted up. I ended up doing it myself for a couple of reasons. (shorty on cash latley with everything that has been going on & silver is easy to match-n-blend myslef) ;)

Here's some cel pics from the process for now. I still need to lay another coat of clear on.

post-3-1267670857_thumb.jpg

post-3-1267670884_thumb.jpg

post-3-1267670905_thumb.jpg