CA Non Commercial Class A

Mr. Sandman

After reading through the other thread about vehicle stops through Tecopa and other areas to and from Dumont I thought I'd post up the following info. Although I don't know anything about the licensing requirements for other states this info applies to CA drivers who tow 5er's over 15500 GVWR. Additionally, I heard a lost of stories about the weight police/CHP enforcing this law in the past year or so and even though it seemed to only be applied to those headed to and from Glamis, it's now happening elsewhere too. From what I understand tickets carry a hefty fine and there's also a chance you could be forced to park your rig until someone with the proper license can drive it for you. Either way, it sucks and it would thoroughly ruin a getaway weekend but with the current economic crisis in CA you can expect even more enforcement to help build the budget.

In a nutshell, the non class A test procedure starts with a written test and then you come back for a driving test that begins with a thorough pre-drive inspection and then the driving test itself with backing and parking elements included. I've made my appointment to take care of this annoying requirement but being legal will give me peace of mind. More info can be found here or on RV.net in the toy hauler section.

After reading through the other thread about vehicle stops through Tecopa and other areas to and from Dumont I thought I'd post up the following info. Although I don't know anything about the licensing requirements for other states this info applies to CA drivers who tow 5er's over 15500 GVWR. Additionally, I heard a lost of stories about the weight police/CHP enforcing this law in the past year or so and even though it seemed to only be applied to those headed to and from Glamis, it's now happening elsewhere too. From what I understand tickets carry a hefty fine and there's also a chance you could be forced to park your rig until someone with the proper license can drive it for you. Either way, it sucks and it would thoroughly ruin a getaway weekend but with the current economic crisis in CA you can expect even more enforcement to help build the budget.

In a nutshell, the non class A test procedure starts with a written test and then you come back for a driving test that begins with a thorough pre-drive inspection and then the driving test itself with backing and parking elements included. I've made my appointment to take care of this annoying requirement but being legal will give me peace of mind. More info can be found here or on RV.net in the toy hauler section.

Accurate info :dunno:

but I thought I'd add an experience of my own: We call the weight police DOT's , or polar bears(the all white cars),or Commercial cops, and even camper cops(those pickups with the topper shell on them they take out on the weekends to go fishin and stuff)

One time, I was caught in a raid(where they pull in every truck that goes down a certain street), and my vehicle was inspected. They red tagged, or put "out of service", my 6 month old peterbilt for some :lol: reason, and my trailer for a legit reason. I WAS NOT ALLOWED to have my repair guy come fix it, I was not allowed to call my towing co. They had a mandatory Towing service to get my rig off of "their street" because THEY set up this sting in a no parking zone. Alterior motive? Sure sounds like it. Maybe a kickback from the Tow service? :driver:

Just thought I'd give everyone an idea of what power they have. If they pull you over on the fwy, or on a street with no parking/stopping...get ready to open your wallet.

My tow bill that day was $1,000. :ahhhhh:

Man that is BS andy! but on a second note , I like the Idea of knowing the guy next to me towing his 40 ft trailer has at least some what of a clue!

I would think anyone that has a 40' trailer has some clue anyway.....or maybe not. 60 to 100,000 dollar rigs and complete lamers drive them? Come on now. My wife drives my 40' trailer and she is very safe and has somewhat of a clue... I think most people with the big trailer understand how to drive them or they wouldnt get far.

Capt

I drive for living and I see it everyday! and just because you have 50.000 to 100,000 to drop on a trailer does not mean you know how to drive any better than anyone else ! I mean I really dont see the big deal ? you go take a simple writen test and then driving test if your good and you know the rules you pass! its no different then me having to have endorsments to pull doubles or tanks .

Man that is BS andy! but on a second note , I like the Idea of knowing the guy next to me towing his 40 ft trailer has at least some what of a clue!

Yah, it sucked; but I couldn't agree more :ahhhhh: . I wanted to encourage everyone to be legal. I wanted people to read and assume they wouldn't get the chance to "park it until someone else can legally drive it."

I drive So.Cal. as a local, O.C. to Long beach to hollywood to the desert, Victorville to San Diego; and have seen more idiots and the damage they cause in 14 yrs. of driving, than most people have ever seen.

In short, If you are exceeding your limit, please get legal; because the leo's have the authority to bend you over :driver:

I drive for living and I see it everyday! and just because you have 50.000 to 100,000 to drop on a trailer does not mean you know how to drive any better than anyone else ! I mean I really dont see the big deal ? you go take a simple writen test and then driving test if your good and you know the rules you pass! its no different then me having to have endorsments to pull doubles or tanks .

Your right... I have seen guys that drive for a living and are reckless... so you are right... people who do it for a living kinda suck at it also...

I am going to take the test next week and get the permit and then go from there... but yes it seems pretty easy

Capt

there is a thread over on rv.net about a guy that has a non comm class a license. he got a ticket, and they treat it like a comm class a ticket...2 points aginst your record AND no traffic school

thats a load of shiat right there

heres the link

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...id/23711810.cfm

Edited by Richard Cheese

In California, if your GVWR is 15,000 or under (which my WW 40 footer is), you only need the 5th wheel endorsement with your class C license.

To get the endorsement, you need to pass the Non commercial A written test. Its free at DMV.

If your GVWR is over 15,000, you need a non commercial A license.

Just look at the Tag on your 5th wheel to determine what your GVWR is.

In California, if your GVWR is 15,000 or under (which my WW 40 footer is), you only need the 5th wheel endorsement with your class C license.

To get the endorsement, you need to pass the Non commercial A written test. Its free at DMV.

If your GVWR is over 15,000, you need a non commercial A license.

Just look at the Tag on your 5th wheel to determine what your GVWR is.

Good point on looking at the tag for the GVWR but the limit is 15500 for the non commercial class A requirement, not 15000. I do have a question for you though, how do you figure your 40' WW is under the 15000 GVWR when my 35' WW is listed at 16000?

Edited by Mr. Sandman

Good point on looking at the tag for the GVWR but the limit is 15500 for the non commercial class A requirement, not 15000. I do have a question for you though, how do you figure your 40' WW is under the 15000 GVWR when my 35' WW is listed at 16000?

80 GRIT has a weekend warrior thats a few yrs old. Back then warrior was cheating with weights and ratings alot.

Good point on looking at the tag for the GVWR but the limit is 15500 for the non commercial class A requirement, not 15000.

The limit for a class C with the endorsement is 15K. Anything above 15K requires a non commercial A. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart.htm#classanon.

I do have a question for you though, how do you figure your 40' WW is under the 15000 GVWR when my 35' WW is listed at 16000?

Could be the year. Mine is a 2005. The GVWR(ating) on the side of the trailer has it listed at 15,000. They may have changed it on newer models.

When I bought it 2 years ago, I was concerned if my class C license was sufficient to tow that big of a trailer. I went to DMV and went down to the CHP office in town and asked them. The local CHP captain told me they go by the GVWR(ating) sticker on the trailer. Mine says its rated at 15,000 even so all I needed was the endorsement with a class C license. Knowing that, I opted for the endorsement instead of the non commercial Class A.

The ironic thing about ratings is that manufacturer can pretty much put whatever they please. Since they are used for recreation, I believe they put lower GVWR's in order to lower their exposure in case people overload them.

I have a Freightliner Sport Chassis truck. Front axle is rated at 8000 lbs and the rear axle is rated at 17,500 lbs. Yet their GVWR sticker says 19,000 lbs. Same axles and same frame as their commercial mid duty line rated at 26K. But since it is typically used in a non commercial application, they put the lower GVWR rating at 19k.

The driver still has some exposure if they weigh you and your over your rating. But all of my research has shown all they are concerned with is the gross rated weight for your license.

Bottom line is if your sticker says its rated at 16K, you need a non commercial A in cali to be legal. If it says 15k or less, you can get by with the endorsement.

Edited by 80grit

cause his is the SUPERLIGHT 40 FOOTER

:ahhhhh:

I guess thats what Im getting at, has any one been stoped with a class A commercial and had any issues?

I have a Class A CDL so I'm safe too. I guess this means I have to be the designated driver every trip. :cheesebong: The thing that sucks is the .04 BAC we have to abide by. I wonder if those with a non-commercial class A have the same limit?

I guess thats what Im getting at, has any one been stoped with a class A commercial and had any issues?

A CA. Class A will make you legal to pull some serious weight, but if you're pullin 2 trailers, you'd still need the doubles endorsement. (just so everyone's clear) :laughing:

Just don't go get a commercial Class A, unless you absolutely need it for work or something, because of the stricter requirements as mentioned in earlier posts.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This past july got stopped going into Pismo! The CHP was very cool and gave me a warning. He did say they are going to start enforcing this law. Be aware some DMV offices dont understand or know how to handle the NON- Commercial A. It took me 2 trips to DMV, showing 2 different supervisors the DMV Recreational Vehicle and Trailers Handbook (DL 648)pages 2-7 for the non commercial A before they undstood what i wanted. Finally got the correct written test, passsed with ease, have a NON-A permit thats good for a year. Now waitng to take the driving test at yet another DMV office to get teh NON- A license.

Piece of mind is well worth the $31.00 and the time.

• 2 years later...

This is an older topic but very important....luckily I heard about this requirement when I got my 5th wheel...

If you have a 5th wheel and your GVWR is over 15,000, you need a non commercial A license.

Also remember that you need to bring someone with you that has their Class A or non commercial Class A to complete your drivers test....