looking for communications handheld radios

Richard Cheese

When I was in the military we had some type of a nextell radio that was amazing. Not sure if they had to pay for some kind of service or not but I went all the way to Philadelphia and used it to talk to someone in Dover DE. Might look into that.

my inlaws are wanting to get handheld comm radios in case of an emergency, like earthquake, flood, sh*t like that

we live like 4 miles apart, but through neighborhoods, not flat land.

any recommendations on handhelds that would reach that far?

thanks in advance

i have the solution for you...go on ebay and look up the puxing 888 hand held VHF radio. they are about 65.00 each..and transmit on the the VHF band in FM. they also have the capability to access repeaters that allow you to talk 80 plus miles. the radios come from hong kong and take about 3-4 weeks to get to you but they are well worth it. you can also hook up head sets and boom mics on them...they also cover all of the sand rail race radio frequencies

heres a link you can look at them

http://www.walkietalkiestore.com/index.php...products_id=698

i have the solution for you...go on ebay and look up the puxing 888 hand held VHF radio. they are about 65.00 each..and transmit on the the VHF band in FM. they also have the capability to access repeaters that allow you to talk 80 plus miles. the radios come from hong kong and take about 3-4 weeks to get to you but they are well worth it. you can also hook up head sets and boom mics on them...they also cover all of the sand rail race radio frequencies

heres a link you can look at them

http://www.walkietalkiestore.com/index.php...products_id=698

thanks for the link Jason. do you have any personal experience with these radios?

thanks for the link Jason. do you have any personal experience with these radios?

ya i own two of em... me and my father set them up in our sandrails . ... and we bought the kenwood KHS-7a headset with a PTT button. here's a link to show what the headset looks like, (note the plug)

http://www.sundanceradio.ca/store/images/K...0KHS-7A_SKU.jpg

the headset works perfect with face mask/dust-z. and goggles...they would work with ppl on dirt bikes and quads

they use the same frequencies as race radio... all you have to do is set it in the memory and it will cover ALL race radio freqs. so if your friends have radios and dune, you can hear and keep in touch....

we talked from the north pole back to camp near bathroom 3 and it sounded like they were sitting right next to us...

they are a lot of radio for the money...i would recommend getting them.

if you need the frequencies for the race radios i have them as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Cheese did ya try these radios out?

Jason do you know if these can be adapted to a normal car intercom system with a PTT?

HUH??

im not sure what you mean about a normal car intercom...as apposed to a non-normal car.. :old: .lol...JK

i was looking to at my radio and the only plugs i see on it is the mic and headphone jacks...

i can tell you that the radio can be programed with your PC using the same jacks...but im not sure about interfacing with an existing intercom...

but i would think that if your car has an input plug for an aux hook up ...then i would think it would work... if you plugged the headphone into your aux of the intercom and the PTT to the mic...i think it would work.

HUH??

im not sure what you mean about a normal car intercom...as apposed to a non-normal car.. :old: .lol...JK

i was looking to at my radio and the only plugs i see on it is the mic and headphone jacks...

i can tell you that the radio can be programed with your PC using the same jacks...but im not sure about interfacing with an existing intercom...

but i would think that if your car has an input plug for an aux hook up ...then i would think it would work... if you plugged the headphone into your aux of the intercom and the PTT to the mic...i think it would work.

I ran those by my FIL and he has now decided that we don't need no stinkin radios :headbang1:

anyway, I thank you guys for the information. If i need any handhelds in the future, i definitely know what to get

HUH??

does your radio take this kind of interface?

post-1646-1269821799_thumb.jpg

if so I think this cable will work!

post-1646-1269821826_thumb.jpg