Putting a family pet down.

bp-guy

We have had our dog (Dune) for just over 11 years now. He is a Chow/German Shepard mix. We got him from the pound as a pup and he has been the best pet since day 1. His hips are in bad shape and he falls at times and has a hard time getting back up. His attitude is still great and thats the part that keeps me wanting him around even though I know he is in pain.

I have an appointment on Friday to take him in. I want to be there when they do the procedure but I know I will be a wreck at that time. But I feel I owe it to him for being such a good dog to be the last thing he see's before he goes to sleep.

Am I the only one that feels this strongly about a pet? He is family and letting a family memeber go is so hard to do.

I will post up some pics of him in a while. Just typing this has me all screwed up so I am taking a break for a bit.

If there is anyone who understands your pain its me. I have two dogs of my own and one of them who is still very young for a dog (4 years old) has had health problems since his was a puppy. Progressively he is getting worse and worse and I know that it won't be to long before I too have to put him down. The thought of it keeps me awake at night and I dread the day that it comes. All I can do is spoil him to death and give him the best life I can until that day. It's amazing how our pets become apart of our family.

I'm sorry you have come to this road but just try to think of the good life your dog has had thus far, if that helps any. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

That really sucks Tim, sorry bud. And your deffinately not the only one that feels that way. We had an australian shepard that got hit by a car and had to have a front leg removed. He rocked the tripod for probably 9 years, we had him for about 10. He still had a great attitude and was always happy but his joints got so bad that he couldnt stand up anymore and barely moved. My folks had to carry him in and out of the house and hold him up while outside, that was how much of a part of our family he was. They finally had to put him to sleep last November, they burried him in the backyard the same day and had a couple whiskeys in his honor.

You are absolutely not the only one who feels that way. My wife, whom I was just dating at the time, came home one day with a puppy that she saw at an adoption drive. Neither one of us were planning on getting another dog yet, and I've always had big dogs. I thought I'd never get into this little guy, but Lucky has been around now for about 5 years and the house wouldn't be the same without him. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves him to death. Poor guy has had a bad hip for a couple years and he may need surgery, but he's always in a good mood so it will get done no matter the cost.

Sorry to hear about Dune's trouble. They really are like another member of the family.

post-3304-1269389311_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain also. I had a rottweiler about 10 years ago. He was only 5yrs old and I had to put him to sleep. He had Kidney failure and they were not able to help My Big Kahuna out. I had to have my mom take him to the vet. I could not take him myself it was a terrible feeling.

I can tell you I remember when I started dating my wife way back. She told me once It's me or the dog. Well I kept the dog and I am now married to my wife.

I would be more inclined to say it would be out of the ordinary if you didn't feel a great loss. Dogs are very much a part of our families. We had to put down our 16yr old black Lab Harley a year ago last October. A faithful companion from the day we adopted him at 5 months old. I'd take him on five mile runs while I was in the Marine Corps, and still able to do so myself, and he shadowed my wifes every move. The three kids could try to ride him like a pony, lay on him, trip over him, and never so much as a cross look.

His hips started getting bad, he still had his senses about him, but he was such a great friend and may have had a couple more painful years ahead of him but I couldn't bear to see him in pain. Too good of a guy to watch suffer like so many folks let there dogs do because of their own selfishness.

Cried like a baby for a couple of hours and walked one of favorite routes reminiscing about all of the great times we shared. Still get misty eyed a year and a half later when I think about the old fella. Hell, tears running down my cheeks right now. You'll have many great memories of him and the times you guys shared to get you through.

I wanted to hold his head in my lap and pat him while he drifted under but they wouldn't allow that at our clinic. Made it alot worse on me as I walked out of the room but I couldn't bear to see the pain that seemed to be getting worse as time went on. You're doing the right thing and enduring the right feelings.

We all feel for you. Good luck.

Edited by aceisback

Im so sorry to hear this Tim. I had a dog from the time I was 18 till about 33, she was such a great dog. She finally got the the point where she just couldnt get around. I unfortuantely couldnt be present in the room when they finally put her down, but I did say goodbye and we did take her body home and bury her. Pets are definately a part of the family and its always hard to loose one. Try and remember all the good times you had. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way! :headbang1:

We have had our dog (Dune) for just over 11 years now. He is a Chow/German Shepard mix. We got him from the pound as a pup and he has been the best pet since day 1. His hips are in bad shape and he falls at times and has a hard time getting back up. His attitude is still great and thats the part that keeps me wanting him around even though I know he is in pain.

I have an appointment on Friday to take him in. I want to be there when they do the procedure but I know I will be a wreck at that time. But I feel I owe it to him for being such a good dog to be the last thing he see's before he goes to sleep.

Am I the only one that feels this strongly about a pet? He is family and letting a family memeber go is so hard to do.

I will post up some pics of him in a while. Just typing this has me all screwed up so I am taking a break for a bit.

You are not alone Tim I feel your pain . I am so sorry to hear about this delima you are in. I had to do the same a couple of years ago with my cocker. I just got down in his face and and spoke to him to his last breath it was tough. We have friends that own the pet cemetary on Lone Mt and the have a real nice program where they will pick up your friend from the vet take a paw print and trim some hair and cremate him put him in a nice container and give you the paw print and hair on a little card keep sake, really kind of cool . I still can walk by his container and have a smile at the thought of his memory, rather than not having him around and eventually having him slip my mind. Again I am sorry about your delima. PM me if I can assist you with contacting my friends buisness. good luck and god speed Dune... :headbang1:

I'm preparing for the same thing sometime in the near future with Chubby. He is 11yrs old and has arthritis in his hips and knees and has a fatty tumor in his neck that keeps growing and they can't remove it. He just isn't getting around as well anymore and his demeanor is changing. I keep hoping he will go naturally and I won't have to make the decision :( . I definately understand your feelings and I'm sorry you have to go through this.

i feel ya as well....this thread is tearing me up just reading everyones posts. i've got a siberian husky that is going on 11; crazy thing is shes in amazing condition. we all make jokes and call her the grandma dog, but i cant imagine day to day life with out her. shes been through my complete 20's and those were some years.......ok...ok....either way your doing the right thing if he's in pain and suffering....with you the best!

Wow that really sucks, I'm so sorry for ya.

Back in January I had to make that decision to put my pup down after 14 years, and I got him when he was 7 weeks old. For a long part of his life moving here from wisconsin he was all I had for a long time.

Fortunately (hard to say that) I decided to take him in on a Tuesday, and thank goodness I didn't have to. Dunno if I could have done it. The night before I laid on the floor with him for hours after getting home from work and I'm so grateful he passed naturally in my arms. Cripes I still get teary eyed thinking about it.

I'm sorry man, they're such a big part of your lives, and it's terrible we have to lose them.

My condolences bro, be strong.

I'm also sorry to hear that BP. I've had to put down more than my share in my lifetime. I refuse to let my loyal friends suffer. I know when it is time, with the help of our Vet.

Never gets easy!!

RIP Dune!

Pat

well my australian heeler has been my best friend for over 11 years, got her as a puppy at 6 weeks, she was soppoused to be julies dog, but she became mine, i lost her brother Yamaha when he was 4 years old, and if you hav ebeen to my house you have meet Ducati (my heeler) and she has never as so much had a mean bone in her body, or bit anyone to include me, she is getting old and a little fat, and i let her do what she wants, she deserves it, it will tear me apart when she goes, but iam hoping that she has a few more good years in her. so i feel your pain Tim, always sucks, but i hope it gets better!

what about one of those rear end carts they have for dogs with hip problems?????

what about one of those rear end carts they have for dogs with hip problems?????

I don't think he would have been happy in one of those things. Yesterday I took him in and had him put down. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I held his head on my lap as the doctor administered the shot through an IV. I wanted me to be the last thing he saw as his eyes closed. The whole thing went fast and I was very greatful for that. I was allowed all the time I needed with him after to say goodbye.

I removed his collar and left him for the last time on the table. His collar is now on my rearview mirror in my truck which will be my reminder of the goodtimes we had together.

Thanks for all the support and input from all of you. It definately helped me through this.

Here is one of the last pictures I took of him as we spent the day together.

post-1872-1269742804_thumb.jpg

Tim, this is by far the hardest thing you have to do as a pet owner. You did the rite thing.

I have known friends that have let their animals go so far that its not for the pets best interest.

Thoughts are with you and your family..

RIP Dune!!!!

I'm sorry for your loss. I've been there too and have been very close to losing one of our pets for the better part of the week.

Nikki is a African Gray parrot. Nikki's about 35 years old and my wife has had him since he was a baby. My wife and I have been together for about 18. Love the woman love her pets but that always hasn't been easy.

Nikki is extremely smart and always has let me know exactly where I stand. He calls me Eli when he wants something or is happy with me and Eah when he's slightly upset or I'm not moving fast enough. When he's really pissed at me he calls me Bob. Nikki also says "I'm not a Bob, I'm a good birdie" so it's pretty darn clear that when you are a Bob you are in the dog (bird) house.

He's been extremely ill not eating or drinking very weak and can't keep anything down. It got to the point the we decided if he's going to go we wanted to be in his cage around his toys and favorite foods and being nursed in the loving arms of my wife and not some stranger. With 35 years of experience and a second bird she's got this down. We also discussed what to do with his remains.

Nikki's been improving and has started to nibble at his favorite foods. He's getting stronger and moving around a bit. He's even started making some of his parrot sounds and my wife just told me that he was just drinking water on his own.

I thought I'd never say this and I'd prefer an Eli or Eah but I'll settle for a Bob when Nikki's strong enough to say it. Little sh*t got my heart...you see Bob is the name of my wife's ex-husband.

Eli

Rest in peace Dune and if Nikki don't make it don't screw with any African Grays. Nikki used to share his food with and has loving dog family where you are and more coming....hopefully not soon.

Edited by eli

I wanted to hold his head in my lap and pat him while he drifted under but they wouldn't allow that at our clinic. Made it alot worse on me as I walked out of the room but I couldn't bear to see the pain that seemed to be getting worse as time went on. You're doing the right thing and enduring the right feelings.

Find a different vet....

Kelly went with me on the floor his head in my lap and my wife beside us. Hell no it wasn't easy and some would have preferred it differently but we felt we owed him that much. When it's our present two dogs' time screw any vet that thinks he's gonna do it differently.

Eli