Anyone mountain bike?

Vegashd

Along with dropping weight Im getting back into Bicycle riding...

Either finding a great deal on a good used bike or building one from scratch. Want newer full suspension technology and am going to be doing a 6" All mountain type bike. if you got one you want to get rid of let me know.....

if you ride and want to hit up Boulder or cottonwood let me know too...!!!

I hate running so Mtn biking is enjoyable and the next best option!!!! I love doing that! ANyone else ride?

This is the frame I am picking up and building if no good deals come along in a medium or 17"

DSC_0048.JPG

I work full time at a bicycle shop here in S.B.

If your getting into "all mountain", then look at the Shimano XT Shadow components, they tuck in real nice. The SRAM stuff works great but has a tendency to hang low and snag on rocks and stumps. There are a few "X-O Alley's" here in S.B. where the trails are just SRAM graveyards.

Also, If thats the bike your looking at, get rid of those wheels ASAP, I can just see all kinds of problems trying to true those b*tches.

Good luck, Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help you out.

If your getting into "all mountain", then look at the Shimano XT Shadow components, they tuck in real nice. The SRAM stuff works great but has a tendency to hang low and snag on rocks and stumps. There are a few "X-O Alley's" here in S.B. where the trails are just SRAM graveyards.

Also, If thats the bike your looking at, get rid of those wheels ASAP, I can just see all kinds of problems trying to true those b*tches.

That is the bike, but more of an all mountain wheelset. I am building a bike from a frame!

I haven't rode a mountain bike is so long. I used to live in Aliso Viejo, Ca and backed up to Aliso Wood Canyon. There were all kinds of single track, up hill and down hill. Loved it. I used to ride 4 or 5 times a week. Not so much since we moved to Vegas. I have a GT carbon with all kinds of after market parts. (Chris King head set, XT and XTR componets, Marzocchi Z1 Bomber shocks, etc.) It would be nice to maybe go for a few rides while the weather is still nice.

I haven't rode a mountain bike is so long. I used to live in Aliso Viejo, Ca and backed up to Aliso Wood Canyon. There were all kinds of single track, up hill and down hill. Loved it. I used to ride 4 or 5 times a week. Not so much since we moved to Vegas. I have a GT carbon with all kinds of after market parts. (Chris King head set, XT and XTR componets, Marzocchi Z1 Bomber shocks, etc.) It would be nice to maybe go for a few rides while the weather is still nice.

LOL, Chris King is doing some trail maintanance out here in S.B. tomorow.

I forgot to take a picture of the $8000 Spezialized that I have in the rack at the Santa Barbara store. I'll try and remember on Sunday.

LOL, Chris King is doing some trail maintanance out here in S.B. tomorow.

I forgot to take a picture of the $8000 Spezialized that I have in the rack at the Santa Barbara store. I'll try and remember on Sunday.

Do you get good prices on parts etc? Ill need hope M4 brakes, Cromag stuff etc.

I ride an older Jamis Dakar Comp out here in Boulder City. I'd recommend getting a nice lightly used bike first and save loads of cash. There are plenty out there that people have bought and never got used much.

Bootleg Canyon has some good trails, but the majority of them have some pretty hairy dropoffs that I'm getting too old to take. (Fear of getting hurt and unable to work.) There is also a paved loop out here that goes from Railroad Pass Hotel down to the lake, up to Lake Las Vegas and back around to Railroad Pass. I forget but I think the whole loop is 34 miles. We ride sections on a regular basis but have never done the whole loop. I've done Cottonwood a couple times but never got a whole lot of riding in due to the distance from my house. There's also a cool ride from the visitors center near the Hacienda Hotel that goes through the old railroad tunnels down to Hoover Dam. That's usually our warmup ride.

Edited by Quicksilver

I ride an old raleigh every day. I do 15-25 miles a day on it. Its old big and heavy, but I use it for training for triathlons. I also have a few other bikes, but my tri bike is a Zipp carbon. I ve even been pulling the kids trailer around with the mountain bike for the load. I pull an extra 150 bs now for the work out.

The zipp is a dedicated tri bike, it has a hard enough time with a smooth road. I ride the lake loop, out to boulder etc etc on it, and occasionally out to overton and back via the lake.

Ill ride anywhere if I have time, but thats in short supply.

I ride an old raleigh every day. I do 15-25 miles a day on it. Its old big and heavy, but I use it for training for triathlons. I also have a few other bikes, but my tri bike is a Zipp carbon. I ve even been pulling the kids trailer around with the mountain bike for the load. I pull an extra 150 bs now for the work out.

The zipp is a dedicated tri bike, it has a hard enough time with a smooth road. I ride the lake loop, out to boulder etc etc on it, and occasionally out to overton and back via the lake.

Ill ride anywhere if I have time, but thats in short supply.

Zipp huh, there's a nice ride.

Here's one of me back in the pre-quad days of Road racing. San Dimas Stage Race 2005.

post-3327-1270928718_thumb.jpg

Edited by ltr450rider

only way im riding something with 2 wheels is if the b*tch has some kind of petroleum buring mechanized device instead of pedals!!

Thats what I said, sold my road bike and bought the LTR. :beerpint:

Here's some good bike shop pics from today. Apparently Polaris is putting thier name on some sh*tty azz bikes, just like honda and kawi decided to do.

And the most expensive bike in the store with a deep discount.

post-3327-1271130359_thumb.jpg

post-3327-1271130370_thumb.jpg

Zipp huh, there's a nice ride.

Here's one of me back in the pre-quad days of Road racing. San Dimas Stage Race 2005.

SDSR(pomona) huh? 2005 I mighta been there that year I believe I raced it from 2000-04/05 that TT up the canyon is hard but very scenic....and puddingstone rr ....well lets just say :blink: ....I only made it to cat 3's though(expert mtb)....too much training to be good past that :beerpint: .....did you race redlands or manhattan beach? or how about VOTS in phoenix?

I still try and MTB everyweekend atleast once.....I rode the new trail system at Coyote Springs last fri. think bootleg cyn/cowboy trails mixed and no one around.....the trails were built very well....and the 34 mile lake loop is awesome they need to do the same around red rock cyn!!! :DDR:

Edited by Bryan M

SDSR(pomona) huh? 2005 I mighta been there that year I believe I raced it from 2000-04/05 that TT up the canyon is hard but very scenic....and puddingstone rr ....well lets just say :blink: ....I only made it to cat 3's though(expert mtb)....too much training to be good past that :beerpint: .....did you race redlands or manhattan beach? or how about VOTS in phoenix?

I still try and MTB everyweekend atleast once.....I rode the new trail system at Coyote Springs last fri. think bootleg cyn/cowboy trails mixed and no one around.....the trails were built very well....and the 34 mile lake loop is awesome they need to do the same around red rock cyn!!! :DDR:

I lived in Covina (CA) untill last november, That GMR time trail was my weekly training ride, I wish they had done the full length, its 8 miles to the top, I've done it in 43 mins. I stopped riding in '06 after a cat 4 road race in Santa Maria when I figured out that everyone must be on drugs, because you dont train 4 days a week for 300-400 hard miles then get dropped in an amature bicycle race. I bought my LTR shortly after that.

Thats what I said, sold my road bike and bought the LTR. :beerpint:

Here's some good bike shop pics from today. Apparently Polaris is putting thier name on some sh*tty azz bikes, just like honda and kawi decided to do.

And the most expensive bike in the store with a deep discount.

That Epic an '09 or '10?

That Epic an '09 or '10?

Not sure, probably an '08.

If anyone is willing to drive here to S.B., we got some killer deals on high end Full Suspension mountian bikes, in stock! It would be worth the $60-100 in gas to save $2,000 on a bike. :beerpint:

I lived in Covina (CA) untill last november, That GMR time trail was my weekly training ride, I wish they had done the full length, its 8 miles to the top, I've done it in 43 mins. I stopped riding in '06 after a cat 4 road race in Santa Maria when I figured out that everyone must be on drugs, because you dont train 4 days a week for 300-400 hard miles then get dropped in an amature bicycle race. I bought my LTR shortly after that.

:blah::lol::lol:I feel ya...I bought my rhino after my wife and I had a looooong "discussion" about the amount of hours I was riding a bicycle :usa: ....I also "know" your right about guys "doping" in amatuer races, Ive seen it with my own two eyes :atv: ..... in 2000 I believe SDSR went to the top in the TT or atleast the second to last knoll(it was the year that a cat. 5 rider{my teamate Bob} crashed descending it after finishing it and it put him in the hospital in critical condition) remember the incycle team or merril lynch team from your area??? :ahhhhh: I was on Procyclery, NuVision and Carina Homes(vegas) teams for several years..I miss it a lil bit...nothin is as competitive as a road race :finger: I was a sprinter and man do I love the rush in the last 1000 meters of a race :laughoff:

Edited by Bryan M

:blah::lol::lol:I feel ya...I bought my rhino after my wife and I had a looooong "discussion" about the amount of hours I was riding a bicycle :usa: ....I also "know" your right about guys "doping" in amatuer races, Ive seen it with my own two eyes :atv: ..... in 2000 I believe SDSR went to the top in the TT or atleast the second to last knoll(it was the year that a cat. 5 rider{my teamate Bob} crashed descending it after finishing it and it put him in the hospital in critical condition) remember the incycle team or merril lynch team from your area??? :ahhhhh: I was on Procyclery, NuVision and Carina Homes(vegas) teams for several years..I miss it a lil bit...nothin is as competitive as a road race :finger: I was a sprinter and man do I love the rush in the last 1000 meters of a race :laughoff:

Incycle are just a bunch of pansies, They were the competitor to my shop. Merryl Lynch/PAA was a huge team out of Pasadena, used to do a huge saturday open group ride called Montrose with alot of them.

In '03 or '04, They raced to the top, I've done it in 43 mins on a good day, Tom Danielson who used to be on Lance's team did it in 29 mins, That's stupid fast.

Incycle are just a bunch of pansies, They were the competitor to my shop. Merryl Lynch/PAA was a huge team out of Pasadena, used to do a huge saturday open group ride called Montrose with alot of them.

In '03 or '04, They raced to the top, I've done it in 43 mins on a good day, Tom Danielson who used to be on Lance's team did it in 29 mins, That's stupid fast.

I was there when danielson raced(wasn't he on saturn or somebody back then, it wasnt trek yet), man what a prospect that kid was....never came to fruitation though...too bad.(one year he crushed the whole pro field at the "redlands" race with horner...back when they were on saturn together)

I used to ride with the ml/paa team alot :ahhhhh: (done the montrose sat ride a few times =150 peeps on a "casual ride")

Theyre team coach was our team coach=Rick Babbington :think:

my fastest on that TT if I recall correctly was 41 and change when I was a cat. 3.... course back then I weighed 186 pounds and Im 6'5"... now I weigh 240 pounds :ahhhhh: so I would be stoked if I did it in 1:15 :P

I used to race cyclocross down there too - talk about hard racing! Still have my Felt fx1 cross bike(gave my carbon road bike[TREK 5500] to my lil bro)and use it as my road bike and it sees some occasional dirt here and there.

Edited by Bryan M

Got my Mountain bike yesterday in the mail.

A leftover Iron Horse 6point4

the components are just above average but thats no big deal for the price I got it for. Ill change out the fork and shock and she will be good to go.

Then Ill build up a bike over the next few months and this one will be perfect for Amanda when she gets into riding more.

off to find me a fox Flux helmet and a shock pump!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Xc version of those wheels for almost 2 years, @215lbs. haven't had to true one yet.

Edited by painterjoe