What should I do?

BigBlockTank

Im having an old friend make some inside "door panels" for my new to me sand buggy. He needed the seats out, so out they came. The last time out, I heard something "pop" in the transmission at the top of comp hill, and kinda made a grindy noise. I have to take the trans out with the motor as well. I'm putting in a cutting brake, and making a new dash and console so I can reach ALL the switches while I'm strapped in too.

Here's my question.....you know how much I've taken out, and what all has to come out, and how much is left bolted on the car. Should I just rip it all off and re-powder coat the frame and make it look like new (which it really is)???????? I'm going to replace all the brake lines due to the cutting brake, along with the clutch hydraulic line.

I plan on mounting the cutting brakes behind the dash with slots for the handles above the shifter. All the gauges, in-car communication, switches can all go there too. Post up your dash pics too, please!!

I mean, am I relying on the old "since I'm doing.." syndrome, or does it really make good sense to go ahead and do it now? I think I have the $1500 to sand blast and powder coat (back flourescent orange), but is this the time?

Here's some pics if I can get them to load up.......

BBTank

post-5943-1276383643_thumb.jpg

post-5943-1276383674_thumb.jpg

post-5943-1276383712_thumb.jpg

:yiah: Do it now No better time then when your Half way there :beercheers:

That's what I thought too, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not "just justifying it" because I'm 1/3 of the way there right now. I think I 'm gonna do it. We'll both be happier when we take it out to play. I mean, it'll feel like a completed car, not some POS off the shelf for the weekend.

I'm never indecisive, for more than.............

BBtank

That's what I thought too, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not "just justifying it" because I'm 1/3 of the way there right now. I think I 'm gonna do it. We'll both be happier when we take it out to play. I mean, it'll feel like a completed car, not some POS off the shelf for the weekend.

I'm never indecisive, for more than.............

BBtank

They will probably move this to Sandrail Talk but I have had turning brakes on all of my cars and never use them, in my case they are just to hard on the tranny and differential. Use your horse power to power slide it and forget the turning brakes!! That's only my humble opinion!!!!!!!!

:beercheers:

Edited by SANDAWG

They will probably move this to Sandrail Talk but I have had turning brakes on all of my cars and never use them, in my case they are just to hard on the tranny and differential. Use your horse power to power slide it and forget the turning brakes!! That's only my humble opinion!!!!!!!!

:beercheers:

They did move it, I wasn't thinking. I'm gonna plead blonde and senior.

This car needs turning brakes where I go sometimes, in the desert. I'm still getting the car set up for the way I drive it.

Thanks SANDAWG

I go through a set of rear brake pads every couple of trips due to using the turning brakes, It really depends on the cars weight bias, tire selection and wheel base weather they will be worth it or not. It would really decrease the fun factor if I did not have the option IMO.

Now it seems the powder coat will require WAY more work to complete so if you enjoy spending hours in the garage have at it :beercheers:

To be honest, the turning brakes are not an issue at this point. I've had the car out, where we've been, and it needs the cutting brakes, nuff said, they're in. I'm grinding the welds from the old shifter and brake location getting ready for the new Jamar shifter, and the cutting brakes. I still have to pull the tranny for repair. That's gotta happen too. I'm gonna be so close, I just can't see NOT doing it now. It would appear that it will be coming apart to repowdercoat the frame, and the new additions/modifications. Pics will follow as they happen!

BBTank

Tear it down and make it look like YOU want it to. Here's a quick tip for your wiring-

If it is wired into the frame already, as you pull the wire have some welding wire follow the old wire out and leave it in the frame. Leave a few inches hanging out of all the holes, that way when you go to rewire it all you have to do is attach the new wire to the welding wire and pull it through the frame.

Tear it down and make it look like YOU want it to. Here's a quick tip for your wiring-

If it is wired into the frame already, as you pull the wire have some welding wire follow the old wire out and leave it in the frame. Leave a few inches hanging out of all the holes, that way when you go to rewire it all you have to do is attach the new wire to the welding wire and pull it through the frame.

That's a really good tip. Unfortunately, it's wired outside the frame. I plan on doing the rewire and going inside the frame. I had already thought of using some safety wire in the channels for the wire, it's true what they say, great minds think alike. OK, I just want to be thought of as just barely smart. :beercheers: