Richard Cheese

:(

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-luce...0,5846870.story

KTLA

6 Dead After Pickup Truck Slams into Crowd During Race

It happened at the California 200 Off-Road Race in Lucerne Valley

KTLA News

10:45 PM PDT, August 14, 2010

LUCERNE VALLEY -- At least six people are dead after an out-of-control pickup truck slammed into a crowd of spectators during an off-road race in Lucerne Valley.

The incident happened at 7:48 p.m. during the California 200 off-road race near Bessemer Mine Road at Soggy Dry Lake in the Lucerne Valley area, said dispatch supervisor Tim Franke of the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

Witnesses say the pickup truck hit people who were sitting on rocks. Two of the victims were said to be decapitated.

Eight people were taken to St. Mary's and Victor Valley Hospitals, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The annual race attracts people from all over California.

this is a terrible tragedy and my condolences go out to all those involved...rest in peace.

the driver is in no way at fault here, (DELETED)...and the reports of rock throwing are said to be untrue and made up by said news source....please dont perpetuate this....the off road racing family is like the dumont family very close and for the most part very upstanding people that would go out of their way to help others in need....

in fact if you would like to help here is a link to a org. that is very involved in all of this....

http://www.fast-aid.org/

thanks

Edited by Bryan M

I was reading about this on RDC I thought I was clicking on a news link. My stomach dropped after seeing a video of the truck losing control into the crowd.

So very sad and tragic. Thoughts & prayers to all involved. I couldn't imagine witnessing such a thing. :(

There is a video of the crash on you tube. IMO, the spectators should have been further back from the track (the rules state 100 feet), so the driver of the truck should not be at fault for the accident. This is racing and your safety is never guaranteed, whether you are racing or just a spectator. My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved.

One of the guys killed was standing next to his friend and his friends 7 yr old son when the truck rolled right toward them and the victim grabbed his friends son and threw him out of the way and was hit by the truck and died, that's an ultimate sacrifice. It hits hard when you think about it.

One of the guys killed was standing next to his friend and his friends 7 yr old son when the truck rolled right toward them and the victim grabbed his friends son and threw him out of the way and was hit by the truck and died, that's an ultimate sacrifice. It hits hard when you think about it.

He also threw his own daughter outta the way ...HERO!

I was 15 ft away from it when it happened across the track. my wife had crossed back over the track near where the truck hit, my heart stopped I ran across and saw something I never wanted to see, headless man. I did a scan of bodies looking for my wife and luckily she was down further. my friend is an paid call firefighter made a call to dispatch and requested multiple airships and got the word out quick. he stated CPR on a girl who ended up dieing on him. so sad, it happened so fast it was crazy. thoughts and prayers go out....

I was 15 ft away from it when it happened across the track. my wife had crossed back over the track near where the truck hit, my heart stopped I ran across and saw something I never wanted to see, headless man. I did a scan of bodies looking for my wife and luckily she was down further. my friend is an paid call firefighter made a call to dispatch and requested multiple airships and got the word out quick. he stated CPR on a girl who ended up dieing on him. so sad, it happened so fast it was crazy. thoughts and prayers go out....

oh my god! :(:(:(

Glad you guys are ok though!

In NV we already have more reg's..... when you go to a BITD/Snore race you are only allowed in spectator areas that are marked, the whole desert is off limits around the race....then the BLM heavily patrols the area and keeps everyone back the mandated 100-150' rule. Peeps hate it buuuut it works! In cali they do not(they will now) close the desert surrounding the race and you are allowed(like in the old mint days here) to go out into the desert to get to parts of the course that you like...this accident happened at one of those spots(the rockpile) which is a "jump" everyone knows about. NOT that I want anything closed but in this case it seems NV may have the right idea since we cant seem to "control" ourselves as fans....

Edited by Bryan M

This is absolutely horrible. I heard two people had been decapitated. I would have to agree too many people free to roam as they please across dangerous areas. This is not the peoples fault but the promoter whom allow it. This will absolutely change as of this weekend.New Regulations will be in effect definitely. I send my condolences to the families.

What a horrible expirience for you to have gone through.

Just makes you realize how quickly things can go bad. Never take a moment of this life for granted. My thoughts go out to all those whose loved ones were involved.

oh my god! :(:(:(

Glad you guys are ok though!

Yes pete it was very intense. I it was 5 min earlier I would have been a victim...

What a horrible expirience for you to have gone through.

Just makes you realize how quickly things can go bad. Never take a moment of this life for granted. My thoughts go out to all those whose loved ones were involved.

Jodi, I know it happened so fast it took a second to sink in...

never know when ur number is up!

Jakster, yes unforuntly that's the first thing.I saw was a decapitated man. so sad....

It is such a sad event, but is shows that people have no common sense......why would you stand by an off road race pathway?????

yeah, i saw on the news this morning some guy was saying the driver was partially to blame for going to fast. correct me if im wrong but wasnt it a "race"? isnt that the idea? ive heard this is pretty common over seas in rally car races. still a sad thing though, personally me or my kids would be no where close to where they are driving, esepecially if it was a rough area like that. either way its still very sad and im sure tramatic to those who were there. i wish the best for the familys who have had to deal with the loss....

It is such a sad event, but is shows that people have no common sense......why would you stand by an off road race pathway?????

Easy, you hear trucks, move forward to see around others, people down course do the same to see around you, next thing you know ....

I got a late start so cancelled or I'd been right in there taking pics, being lucky has never felt so crappy.

and as far as it being the promoters fault, for them to barricade a 50 mile loop both sides through some rough terrain and police it, the entry fees would be so high to pay for that, nobody could afford or would pay so the only alternative is like BITD and let taxpayers pay for enforcement with the BLM, not to mention the closer the race to the southern Cal population centers the spectators #s compound. At least V2R has some spots especially up north with the course close or paralleling the roads.

exactly we said man it looks like zoo rd (baja) where trucks are doing 120 over rolling and fans are reaching out almost touching the trucks

Ojos Negros, where Pfluegers' truck hits guy taking photo

<click for video Edited by RUn2it