Help keep Gold Butte open

dunefreak

As most of you know, keeping other public lands open no matter where it is helps in our never-ending battle to keep our favorite riding areas open.

Please take a few minutes to read this and make a phone call or send a message to one or more of the contact links below.

From an e-mail I recently received....

Regarding the Gold Butte NCA/wilderness legislation, we, (PIC—Partners In Conservation and PLCC—Public Lands Conservation Committee) have been waiting for the moment when we will have the most impact. THAT MOMENT IS NOW!!!!

If you care about the future of Gold Butte, please voice your opinion now!

THE SHORT AND SWEET VERSION

We have been told by trusted sources that now is ‘put up or shut up time’; that the other side has sent in comments and if we do not match their numbers, we will not be listened to. We have also been told that:

• Phone calls are the best, then letters, then emails

• We must be respectful; being dis-respectful gives them a reason to discard our comments

• We must be united and all say the same message (see below)

• A personal comment w/ the unified message would have significant impact because that demonstrates that we are united in our message, but that our phone calls, comments are personal, coming from individuals and NOT a mass mailing

• More than one member of your family can make comments

We believe that now is not the time to rant and rave about ‘no wilderness’, ‘no NCA’, etc. That message is falling on deaf ears and they hide behind the Clark County Commissioner’s Resolution of Support.

It is imperative that we all speak with one voice on this point, so please include this statement or something very similar in your phone call, letter, or email:

“I respectfully request that Congresswoman Titus (or Senator Reid, etc.) replies to me (you will need to give your mailing address) and lets me know if SHE WILL SUPPORT A FAIR, OPEN, AND TRANSPARENT PROCESS OF PUBLIC MEETINGS AND WORKSHOPS FOR GOLD BUTTE THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THE MEETINGS HELD FOR THE LINCOLN COUNTY PUBLIC LANDS BILL OF 2005 WHEREIN EVERYONE MET AND WORKED THROUGH THE SPECIFIC ISSUES TOGETHER. GOLD BUTTE IS TOO CONTROVERSIAL, TOO IMPORTANT, AND TOO BIG OF AN AREA TO NOT HAVE A SERIES OF PUBLIC MEETINGS TO DISCUSS SPECIFIC ISSUES. The Clark County and Lincoln County Public Land Bills set a precedence for future public land legislation; I request a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer as to whether Congresswoman Titus will support a fair, open, and transparent series of public meetings regarding the 330,000 acres of the Gold Butte area and I respectfully request her ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer in writing.” I also request that my name and address be added to any meeting notification list.”

Please be polite, but firm and insist on a simple yes or no response in writing. If you also want to make a personal comment, please see the longer version for some ideas (if you need them) or contact me. My contact info is on the email and the longer document. Please call at least Senator Reid and Congresswoman Titus at these numbers:

Congresswoman Titus: Phone: (202) 225-3252

Senator Reid: Phone: 202-224-3542 (or Toll Free for Nevadans): 1-866-SEN-REID (736-7343)

If you have time, Senator Ensign: Phone: (202) 224-6244

Now, please pass this on to 4 other people and ask them to spend less than 15 minutes voicing their opinion and requesting public meetings. Thank you so much for your efforts; if you can also email me back as to how many made comments, that would be so helpful. Together, we are hopeful that we can slow this fast-track process down enough to have reasonable public discussions about this issue. THANKS!

Elise

702-219-2033 (cell)

picorg@mvdsl.com

Contact info...

Congresswoman Dina Titus

https://forms.house.gov/titus/contact-form.shtml

Las Vegas Office:

8215 S. Eastern Avenue, Suite 205

Las Vegas, NV 89123

Phone: (702) 387-4941

Washington D.C. Office:

319 Cannon HOB

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3252

Fax: (202) 225-2185

Senator Reid

http://reid.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

Las Vegas Office:

333 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Suite 8016

Las Vegas, NV 89101

Phone: 702-388-5020

Washington DC Office:

522 Hart Senate Office Bldg

Washington, DC 20510

Phone: 202-224-3542

Fax: 202-224-7327

Toll Free for Nevadans:

1-866-SEN-REID (736-7343)

Senator Ensign

http://ensign.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?...act.ContactForm

Las Vegas Office:

333 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Suite 8203

Las Vegas, Nevada 89101

Phone: (702) 388-6605

Washington D.C. Office:

119 Russell Senate Building

Washington, D.C. 20510

Phone: (202) 224-6244

Fax: (202) 228-2193

TTY: (202) 228-3364

Though some of us don't or haven't been out there it still falls under the government and Eco- terrorists trying to take land away from us and our future generations. This land is outstanding and needs our help in keeping it open and keeping the Government in Washington DC from directing what the state of Nevada does with it's own land. Please take a moment and call the numbers and let them know in a clear and concise way that this is important to you as a voter.

Thanks,

Terry

Edited by ynot

This is what I sent to Titus just used the example in the post.

I respectfully request that Congresswoman Titus replies to me and lets me know if SHE WILL SUPPORT A FAIR, OPEN, AND TRANSPARENT PROCESS OF PUBLIC MEETINGS AND WORKSHOPS FOR GOLD BUTTE THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THE MEETINGS HELD FOR THE LINCOLN COUNTY PUBLIC LANDS BILL OF 2005 WHEREIN EVERYONE MET AND WORKED THROUGH THE SPECIFIC ISSUES TOGETHER. GOLD BUTTE IS TOO CONTROVERSIAL, TOO IMPORTANT, AND TOO BIG OF AN AREA TO NOT HAVE A SERIES OF PUBLIC MEETINGS TO DISCUSS SPECIFIC ISSUES. The Clark County and Lincoln County Public Land Bills set a precedence for future public land legislation; I request a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer as to whether Congresswoman Titus will support a fair, open, and transparent series of public meetings regarding the 330,000 acres of the Gold Butte area and I respectfully request her ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer in writing.” I also request that my name and address be added to any meeting notification list.”

Here is her reply back she has no clue that I am wanting it to be kept open. I guess I will need to make a phone call maybe she will understand a call more then she can understand a e mail.

Dear Mr. Marx,

Thank you for contacting me about your support for the protection of Gold Butte.

I share your concerns about the need to preserve this historical, cultural, and natural landmark. As you may know, in 2008, my colleague, Congresswoman Shelley Berkley, introduced H.R. 7132, the Gold Butte National Conservation Area and Wilderness Designation Act. The 110th Congress was unable to pass this legislation before they adjourned. I will work with my colleagues in the 111th Congress to ensure that the need for further protection of Gold Butte is addressed once again.

In the meantime, please know that I will work to ensure that any legislation introduced is the product of a consensus among Nevadans on this issue and I look forward to ensuring that this remarkable area is protected and preserved for generations to come.

Thank you again for taking the time to get involved. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...