Open carry gun law in California

JasonR

I have been following the so called "open carry" movement on the internet . Has anyone else?

apparently, you can carry your firearm openly on your hip as long as it it unloaded. You are also allowed to carry your FULLY loaded clip on the other side of your hip and it is still legal. I looked up some info and you can find it at opencarry.org

I'm curious if other people are exercising their right to carry or are you opposed to it.

I have been following the so called "open carry" movement on the internet . Has anyone else?

apparently, you can carry your firearm openly on your hip as long as it it unloaded. You are also allowed to carry your FULLY loaded clip on the other side of your hip and it is still legal. I looked up some info and you can find it at opencarry.org

I'm curious if other people are exercising their right to carry or are you opposed to it.

Dont leave home without my weapon fully loaded with extra magazine fully loaded.

Dont leave home without my weapon fully loaded with extra magazine fully loaded.

I would too if I lived in vegas, you guys have 3 cities that are the most unsafe in the country!!!

I think the gun thing is OK i guess, but carrying a gun leads to allot of other problems if you dont have the proper training on how and when to use it, I mean honestly if you feel that unsafe in your city then I would move...

Coming from someone who has been shot whreere I grew up and still think it's not the greatest idea, i would rather creep without one and if dramas pops then I would run to the trunk, that is the universal sign of "Betta watch yo a$$"..

Edited by 1BADYFZ

It's your right to bear arms, exercise it as you please. I would also add, know the law and watch out for those 1000 foot school zones.

What county do you live in? Some are CCW friendly. Not LA county though. A California CCW is the best in the country bar none.

the law in CA is retarded...

If there is a problem, and you need your gun, you have to get your gun, get the bullets or clip then BAM, your dead because criminals don't follow the law.

Kern County is pretty liberal handing out CCW's I know of no one who has been shot down applying for one

Edited by Richard Cheese

I would too if I lived in vegas, you guys have 3 cities that are the most unsafe in the country!!!

I think the gun thing is OK i guess, but carrying a gun leads to allot of other problems if you dont have the proper training on how and when to use it, I mean honestly if you feel that unsafe in your city then I would move...

Coming from someone who has been shot whreere I grew up and still think it's not the greatest idea, i would rather creep without one and if dramas pops then I would run to the trunk, that is the universal sign of "Betta watch yo a$$"..

Yes proper training is a must i have trained at front sight i believe everyone should carry this would cut down on crime crimanals would think twice if they knew they would be shot if i have a gun then i can protect myself my family and possibly someone eles family

I can carry mine off duty any time I want. Hell I can even fly armed if I choose. But I choose to leave it at home. The only time I carry off duty is if I am headed to/from work. And I fly armed if I am doing something work related.

Carrying a sidearm can be a good thing when the stuff hits the fan, but other than that it's a liability I would rather not willing stap onto my side. 10 hours a day is fine for me, I don't need it with me on my off time as well.

But I do support the law allowing CCW.

It's your right to bear arms, exercise it as you please. I would also add, know the law and watch out for those 1000 foot school zones.

What county do you live in? Some are CCW friendly. Not LA county though. A California CCW is the best in the country bar none.

i live in san bernardino county in apple valley. Im currently looking into getting a CCW....someone told me that once you get your CCW..its good for all of California..is this true??

i live in san bernardino county in apple valley. Im currently looking into getting a CCW....someone told me that once you get your CCW..its good for all of California..is this true??

:dunno:

Edited by OGP

Yes, it's true (good state wide) and SB county is CCW friendly. The CCW is STATE issued, not county. The county sheriff only approves your application. Go to http://www.calccw.com/Forums/ and look around and read up on your county. Good luck.

Edited by FE135

From the look of Mule Canyon outside of Calico a lot of people were exercising that right. Couldn't help but wonder how many were actually empty. I thought about carrying that way but carried the wife's 20 gage instead. Loads as fast if not faster than a mag and rack.

Eli

Yes you can carry your weapon state wide with a CCW. Follow the rules and remember it is a CONCEALED WEAPON...

You would be shocked how many abuse their CCW's by carring the side arm under a tight T-Shirt or even getting a DUI while it is in the car..

As for carring a Unloaded Firearm on your side with a load mag on the other side of your belt... Thats a fast way to be arrested and have a Felony Weapons Charge on you. The ammo needs to be out of the mag and away from the gun. There has been a few people carry aroung guns on their hip around thow but they always get Extra Attention from Law Enforcement. Just get your CCW the right way and be safe with it. It is kind of a pain to carry around a gun all the time. I can carry any time, anywhere but choose not to most of the time. Once you tace the CCW class you get an idea what the Libilitys you are stepping in to..

How ever I feel EVERY Law Abiding Citizen should have a weapon and be able to carry to protect themselves and their familys. To many have given all to keep our 2nd Amendment rights...

Yes you can carry your weapon state wide with a CCW. Follow the rules and remember it is a CONCEALED WEAPON...

You would be shocked how many abuse their CCW's by carring the side arm under a tight T-Shirt or even getting a DUI while it is in the car..

As for carring a Unloaded Firearm on your side with a load mag on the other side of your belt... Thats a fast way to be arrested and have a Felony Weapons Charge on you. The ammo needs to be out of the mag and away from the gun. There has been a few people carry aroung guns on their hip around thow but they always get Extra Attention from Law Enforcement. Just get your CCW the right way and be safe with it. It is kind of a pain to carry around a gun all the time. I can carry any time, anywhere but choose not to most of the time. Once you tace the CCW class you get an idea what the Libilitys you are stepping in to..

How ever I feel EVERY Law Abiding Citizen should have a weapon and be able to carry to protect themselves and their familys. To many have given all to keep our 2nd Amendment rights...

i was looking up if you can have your ammo or clip with you fully loaded...and the answer i found was yes you can. here are some info on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWz7BEEg1k

and here is a law on it.

penal code 12031(g) states

(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of

this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell,

consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or

shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but

not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof

attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be

deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder

charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

it sais it has to be attached to the firearm...not on your hip. I called the local police today and they told me the same thing. BUT if you conceal the clip, you can get into trouble. it also has to be Open Carry.

See all this confusion with just carrying a gun and ammo...

Imagine when it's used and you kill someone with it, you better understand that law a bit more cuz that is what will put you in jail for a long time..

I am even afraid of the consequences of shooting someone at my own home let alone on the street, a lot of exceptions have to be made before you pull that trigger.

Let me just add that you really need to do your homework for open carry. I can't stress this enough. That PC section quoted above is an example of why. That section has been modified by case law (people vs. Clark) You can read all about it here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=103660

Not all police are up to speed on the laws regarding this either and you will need to know what to do when stopped. Concealing a mag is NOT a crime. Open carry is not recommended even by the much more knowledgeable Calguns gurus. You’re in a county that is more reasonable with CCW and I would suggest that avenue.

Edited by FE135

The 3 most dangerous areas are not in VEgas but in NORTH LAS VEGAS... Oddly enough... actually not at all CCW laws do not apply there. They have very strict gun laws their

I always hear about people being scared to shoot someone that breaks into their home in california, but in vegas we have already had a couple in the last year. I believe in at least two of the incidents the intruder was killed.......in vegas we support that. In Nevada you can also carry your gun holstered with a magagzine loaded and chambered. You can have your gun in your car and it is not considered concealed if you have it under your seat, in the glove box and so forth.

Carrying a concealed firmearm on your person is very common here and generally those with permits are law abiding citizens. California thinks that some of these crazy gun laws they have will deter crime, but the real criminals dont care.

As for North las vegas I doubt that they are going to deal with you for carrying a concealed firearm if you have a permit, they only want to use this laws for people that are criminals, or a-holes to them.

Edited by lindernglamis

REALLY do your homework before you try to open carry in California. Depending on what jurisdiction you carry in, as mentioned by some DDR members, the outcome of your contact with law enforcement will be predicated on what their department procedures and training. There is a member on the open carry site who though he was doing everything correct and regardless was arrested and convicted. I suggest if you really want to carry a weapon, get a CCW, though even with a CCW, if you are ever put in a scenario of life of death and you decide to use your weapon, be ready to be treated as guilty until proven innocent, be ready to have your firearm dissembled, tested, etc.. to the point when its returned, you'd would not want to fire it. In our litigious society, your faith can be in the hands of a jury which can be swayed by whom has the best attorney. Think about the legal costs you would have to manage in the case you used your weapon to protect yourself though the other side sees it as your murdering their loved one, that can mean a lot of time and mula in court.

arizona had open carry laws... and now have a ccw law for all legal to carry... it has lowered crime they say 13% since its gone into effect... i think california should fallow suit.. it doesn't seem to have had a negative affect on az...jus a thought...

DiSkOe*1

As for North las vegas I doubt that they are going to deal with you for carrying a concealed firearm if you have a permit, they only want to use this laws for people that are criminals, or a-holes to them.

You should ask the Boulder city cop who was suspended for ripping me through my window for having a loaded weapon on my seat when I was pulled over. Them and NLV are looking to get anyone breaking the law not just criminals

Only use a weapon if you truly fear for your life re; the person you shoot better be attempting to shoot or stab you and there's no alternative escape or all bets are off and don't be surprised if you face criminal prosecution and/or civil litigation for liability from relatives even if exonerated by the legal system, CCW or not. If there's no way out and you're choice is get shot or shoot and face the consequences.... it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Lots of calculation to do in the split second it takes to pull a trigger. Just something to consider....

I have a open carry permit, and there are a bunch of laws involved, you just cant strap it to your side and walk around the mall, it is issued for a distinct reason by the state. As mentioned by several people here in this thread, you can get some MAJOR ATTENTION from Law Enforcement...I can tell you 1st hand, and it definately is not fun having a shotgun inches from the back of your head. I live in Orange County, and I think about 80% of all the issued CCW's have been revoked in the last 2 years, and they probably wont be issuing any news ones as long as Sandra Hutchins sp? is the Sherriff. I do think the right to bear arms is an important right. But man it scares me to think that ANYBODY could carry a weapon.

For the record I am sitting on the fence on PRO-CARRY for all....LOL

I have a open carry permit, and there are a bunch of laws involved, you just cant strap it to your side and walk around the mall, it is issued for a distinct reason by the state. As mentioned by several people here in this thread, you can get some MAJOR ATTENTION from Law Enforcement...I can tell you 1st hand, and it definately is not fun having a shotgun inches from the back of your head. I live in Orange County, and I think about 80% of all the issued CCW's have been revoked in the last 2 years, and they probably wont be issuing any news ones as long as Sandra Hutchins sp? is the Sherriff. I do think the right to bear arms is an important right. But man it scares me to think that ANYBODY could carry a weapon.

For the record I am sitting on the fence on PRO-CARRY for all....LOL

I have never heard of an OPEN CARRY permit.