River crossing flooded, 12-24-10

dunefreak

I dont know how to do all the dragging peoples comments into my comment! I have never talked "S" on the DDR forum but I am going to do it now! I helped with the letters from the south pole to our troops and have even started an adoptasolider letter program with my company! I tried to get people out to comp for clean up after a holiday weekend party, not just on clean up weekends and noone replied! It was always myself and "Mouthrulz" and a few other friends picking up everyones trash!!!!!!! I personally liked it better when NOONE knew about DD! When you had to crap at S$#$ tree, before the bathrooms, before vendors, before the ranger station and vendors or vendors row. We left Glamis for a reson!!Now I see a friend trying to help with up dates on the river and some smarta$$ has to make comments! FYI "svengoolie" mouthrulez is family and if you have something to say call me directly! I have no problem meetng you anywhere! One more thing , you must have been a bench warmer or you would have know a football field is 360' that would make the river a football field and a half less one endzone and 3.33 yards. Do you want me to break that down for you?

SVENGOOLIE send me a pm! I am working all week but will make arrangements to meet you at DD anytime to teach you math and football!

If you cant pm me, my number is 323-842-3985

Signed,

One guy over website trash talkers!

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend, she left for the day and is now back in camp. River is passable, but it is ROUGH!!! She was towing people across in her lifted F250 and one rig they had to use 2 trucks for, so it is going to be a rough ride. Be careful, be safe!! More rain is supose to start Tuesday night and go into Wednesday morning and drop 1 - 1 1/4 inches in the desert.

Just happened to be searching through Google this morning, glad I caught this info on the home page...Signed up to stay updated.

I was supposed to leave today, but now I'm playing it by ear until tomorrow. This would mark my first Dumont trip so I am unfamiliar with the area. If I still came out and the river was not crossable what are my alternatives? From what I'm reading it sounds like a dirt road from little Dumont in or just stay in little Dumont. Anything else? How bad is that road? I'm sure little Dumont will be ridiculous right?

I just talked to a BLM worker with a tractor and they said the river isn't passable..there is a semi towing a 5th wheele trailer stuck in the middle of the stream. They had it passable but the dam they built broke and blew the river 500 feet wide. It isn't passable and wont be for a while.

IS THIS A REAL POST or are you just messin' with people? 500 feet!?!? :dayum:

So the river is wider than a football field? Kind of hard to believe.

I dont see the problem in these posts. 500 feet is pretty wide, it does sound hard to belive, It doesnt look that wide from the pictures. I dont think anyone was talking crap, just wondering if it was an over-exageration.

I dont know how to do all the dragging peoples comments into my comment! I have never talked "S" on the DDR forum but I am going to do it now! I helped with the letters from the south pole to our troops and have even started an adoptasolider letter program with my company! I tried to get people out to comp for clean up after a holiday weekend party, not just on clean up weekends and noone replied! It was always myself and "Mouthrulz" and a few other friends picking up everyones trash!!!!!!! I personally liked it better when NOONE knew about DD! When you had to crap at S$#$ tree, before the bathrooms, before vendors, before the ranger station and vendors or vendors row. We left Glamis for a reson!!Now I see a friend trying to help with up dates on the river and some smarta$$ has to make comments! FYI "svengoolie" mouthrulez is family and if you have something to say call me directly! I have no problem meetng you anywhere! One more thing , you must have been a bench warmer or you would have know a football field is 360' that would make the river a football field and a half less one endzone and 3.33 yards. Do you want me to break that down for you?

SVENGOOLIE send me a pm! I am working all week but will make arrangements to meet you at DD anytime to teach you math and football!

Signed,

This seems pretty harsh to me man. Just my un-biased opinion. :beercheers::DDRrocks:

Edited by ltr450rider

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend, she left for the day and is now back in camp. River is passable, but it is ROUGH!!! She was towing people across in her lifted F250 and one rig they had to use 2 trucks for, so it is going to be a rough ride. Be careful, be safe!! More rain is supose to start Tuesday night and go into Wednesday morning and drop 1 - 1 1/4 inches in the desert.

Thnx Superstar70!

As for everyone else and their personal problems or sh*t talk, leave it off this thread and website all together. Let's try and leave this thread open for river crossing/ updates discussion only.

See how people get when they can't get to their sand? This is getting dangerous! laughing.gif

See how people get when they can't get to their sand? This is getting dangerous! laughing.gif

I found a way around this little problem. I brought a bunch of sand over from the beach and spread it all on the floor in the apartment. Then I built a firepit in the middle of the room and and set up folding chairs all around it. Tami says she's leaving if I dont clean it all up, but I'm still on the fence. :dunno:

personally, I'd much rather someone over state the width, depth, or extent of the crossing damage than understate it and I suffer damage as a result.

I appreciate anyone giving input to this discussion that's helpful to those of us yet to have made the trek out there for ourselves.

I'm sure it's cold & wet out there.

Thanks everyone, and remember what Patrick Swayze said in the movie Roadhouse, 'be nice'.

My math isnt to good and my football is worse :laughing:

I would say by all the comments that the river is shrinking and growing with each rain.... so if you want to get technical then I suppose 500' isnt overshooting what it was and 300' is pretty close... just depend on where you stand and what time you are there...I seen it and I have first hand knowledge of what it WAS but I have nothing of what it IS ... Thanks for your suport

CApt

Just happened to be searching through Google this morning, glad I caught this info on the home page...Signed up to stay updated.

I was supposed to leave today, but now I'm playing it by ear until tomorrow. This would mark my first Dumont trip so I am unfamiliar with the area. If I still came out and the river was not crossable what are my alternatives? From what I'm reading it sounds like a dirt road from little Dumont in or just stay in little Dumont. Anything else? How bad is that road? I'm sure little Dumont will be ridiculous right?

Your only alternatives would be

A) camp at Little Dumont and make the trek to the big dunes each ride

...or

B) Try and make the road from Little D to Big D. I heard it is very soft and mushy though even in the Little Dunes. There is also about a 1ft step/ bump in the road going that way. You will definitely need 4WD and it will be rough.

...or

C) wait until you leave to find out the latest conditions of the crossing. I imagine BLM will do whatever possible to try and make it crossable.

The number to the Barstow BLM field office is 760-252-6000. Give them a shout tomorrow AM. They should have some news from how it was after today.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the updates . . . please keep them coming. :)

And for the record, I don't think anyone is "S" talking, at least I wasn't. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the most accurate information before our group heads out. Would hate to think that a group of duners changed their plans from Dumont to Glamis or decided to stay home just to find out some joker put 500' when it was really 5'. Every duner is anxious to get to the sand -- it's a very short season!

Happy duning and be safe!

My math isnt to good and my football is worse :laughing:

I would say by all the comments that the river is shrinking and growing with each rain.... so if you want to get technical then I suppose 500' isnt overshooting what it was and 300' is pretty close... just depend on where you stand and what time you are there...I seen it and I have first hand knowledge of what it WAS but I have nothing of what it IS ... Thanks for your suport

CApt

I agree David I saw what was done Wed. night and what happened by morning. That dozer filled in a hole at least 5 ft deep. by morning it was worse than before. The bucket on a backhoe couldn't even touch the bottom. Even a little bit is better than what it was. They went up Sperry Wash Rd to try and divert the water the dozer left said there wasn't much he could do at that time there was alot more water than the had thought. Doesn't matter now anyway they are working on it in hopes of getting it fixed. If they get up dates great, if not, take your chances.

For what its worth, made it out today at approx 1100am.....a truck was stuck at the 1st crossing blocking about 15 other trailers....went to the little dunes and took the flats

....EASY DRIVE / VERY PASSABLE..

Left about 500pm via main exit and it was SKETCHY! Had to man up when we saw all the folks with cameras waiting for a failure.....flatbed was submerged but no probs

Could someone please Describe the directions and how to get from the baby dunes to the big dunes on this "road" that everyone keeps mentioning? I have a been to Dumont a crap load of time better never really went exploring that way. Also is it possible for a 3/4 4x4 D-max with 285 allterrains to drag a 40' WW that way.

I will have another 4x4 Diesel with me for recovery duty if need be.

• Like 1

"svengoolie" mouthrulez is family and if you have something to say call me directly! I have no problem meetng you anywhere! One more thing , you must have been a bench warmer or you would have know a football field is 360' that would make the river a football field and a half less one endzone and 3.33 yards. Do you want me to break that down for you?

Signed,

http://www.angermanagement818.com/

Could someone please Describe the directions and how to get from the baby dunes to the big dunes on this "road" that everyone keeps mentioning?

x1

Just got off the phone with BLM :bowdown: They said the road is "very passable" even in motor homes, stay to the left. Bulldozer is on the way out.

Edited by sicandtwisted

x1

Just got off the phone with BLM :bowdown: They said the road is "very passable" even in motor homes, stay to the left. Bulldozer is on the way out.

I also talked to BLM and they said the same...They said the right side is washed out,thats why they want you to stay to the left .... but like sicandtwisted said the bulldozer is on the way!!!!

Edited by beoch

x1

Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone for the updates. We will be heading out tomorrow morning. Hopefully we don't see a lot of rain.

Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone for the updates. We will be heading out tomorrow morning. Hopefully we don't see a lot of rain.

Its suppose to rain and possibly snow, Wednesday into Thursday and get real cold New Years Eve! :newyears:

Edited by beoch

As of 3:00 today BLM had the water mostly back where it belongs. One lane, passable to most everything. And by the looks of things it does look like at one point it could have been up to 500 feet. (Sorry Kobe 10) Little dunes more crowded than usual, but still plenty of room. Road overall not great, but okay.

sbii48.jpg

Little dunes

2ajp28p.jpg

Some mud for the kids!

w6t447.jpg

Still room at the little dunes.

51sz29.jpg