saw a nasty accident going to Dumont

dunefreak

We came up on this right after it happened. It was on the back side of Mt Potisi. I don't know the extent of the injuries but it didnt look good. Just another reminder to take it slow when towing especially going down that stretch of highway. There is alot of road crown on the road. I think that trailer was a bit much as well for a Tahoe. I hope they are ok.

post-3-093253400 1293920377_thumb.jpg

i had a whole new respect to towing with an SUV after my little run in down the back side of potosi with dunefreak riding shotgun. I thought for sure i was going to wreck my new armada and destroy all the toys on the trailer!!

my trailer is "1/2 tone towable" but I only tow with my half ton around town. it has the power, but not the brakes nor the weight as the trailer tries to push around it at freeway speeds. F350 pulls it MUCH better

I must say I hate coming home down the grade over the hump, especially with the WW 5th, I feel it just does not have enough brakes on the trailer.

Turn on the flashers, drop some gears and take it slower. Make sure you leave enough brakes to completely STOP! If you are hating it somebody else may hate more if you don't have enough brakes. Nothing does at the speed many go down hills. Exhaust brakes are helpful but you still need enough brakes to stop in the unlikely event they fail. Plan for the worst including black ice this time of year.

The hump isn't Wolf Creek in CO but the last left has plenty of skid marks left by people in too big of a hurry. Nothing built (and properly serviced) you can't get safely down any hill in the country but it isn't ever a race to the bottom.

Eli

Turn on the flashers, drop some gears and take it slower. Make sure you leave enough brakes to completely STOP! If you are hating it somebody else may hate more if you don't have enough brakes. Nothing does at the speed many go down hills. Exhaust brakes are helpful but you still need enough brakes to stop in the unlikely event they fail. Plan for the worst including black ice this time of year.

The hump isn't Wolf Creek in CO but the last left has plenty of skid marks left by people in too big of a hurry. Nothing built (and properly serviced) you can't get safely down any hill in the country but it isn't ever a race to the bottom.

Eli

My rig isn't all that big and I do have a 3/4 ton truck but a few times I worried about the Vegas side of the Potisi Hill coning towrds Vegas. I have a toy hauler that is 26 ft. What I do is top it out at 50 at the fire station and don't let it go more than 55 coming down. I do leave it in tow mode and it seems to do just fine. I can tell if I'm going to fast when Ihit the brakes since my truck tends to take out rotors really fast and tend to shudder if it's too much of a load to stop with the electric brakes.

Let the cars wait, it's not wotrth wrecking to let them go 70 down the hill!!!

:2cents:

:old:

My rig isn't all that big and I do have a 3/4 ton truck but a few times I worried about the Vegas side of the Potisi Hill coning towrds Vegas. I have a toy hauler that is 26 ft. What I do is top it out at 50 at the fire station and don't let it go more than 55 coming down. I do leave it in tow mode and it seems to do just fine. I can tell if I'm going to fast when Ihit the brakes since my truck tends to take out rotors really fast and tend to shudder if it's too much of a load to stop with the electric brakes.

50-55 down hills is plenty regardless of rig and size. love that jake brake on the dodge, never have to brake

Half ton's have pretty big tow ratings these days. Stay below them! While we all would like a bigger truck it just means you are gonna be slower up the hill and better be slower down it. Old rule of thumb was to go down the hill no faster than what you went up it. What's safe for a dodge with an exhaust brake with 14k plus behind it may not be safe for a half ton with 8K behind it. Being safe has nothing to do what size truck you have. It's about staying within the limits and knowing how to drive what you've got.

I've been heavier than most down the worst this country has to offer. I'd done it without a Jake brake and I've done it with them. The bigger the truck the better I like them but somehow I can't get used to the idea of paying more for a new one ton pickup than I paid for my last new semi tractor.

Eli