Home Burglary

bp-guy

My house was broken into today. Seems like a snatch and grab or they were methodical in whathey wanted to get. Only certain items were taken and others left alone. All items that I can see that were taken were small things that can travel easily on foot.

I now want a security system in my house! Which system are you guys using and what should I look for in a system?

It sucks knowing that someone was in my house when I wasn't there. I feel so violated! I think I might have come home and they ran out the back and jumped the wall. I found a bag of chips on the floor and we have a new puppy and he didn't tear into it yet. They also took all the cold pepsi's and water out of the fridge!!!!!!!

I think tweekers were to blame, but now they know what I have in my house so I want to be protected.

I am checking craigslist also for the stolen items.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Edited by bp-guy

ughh that sucks!! i have had 5 cars broken into, and 1 car stolen, but never had my house broken into (knock on wood), i can only imagine how you are feeling! I hope you find your things! Craiglist is a good idea sure would be nice to call the guy and schedule a meeting time to kick his a$$ (and get your stuff back) !

My brother had the same thing happen a few weeks ago and he just went with ADT. Free installation and 2 or 3 yr commitment and I think it was 40 or 45 a month for monitoring.

I can't remember who it was but I think there is a DDR member on here that installs alarms too.

Edited by dune_rat

Don't waste your money on a monitored system. Law enformance do not respond in a timly fashion. They have to much on their plate to worry about theft. If your system is monitored they first call your house, then your call list than if no one can reapond or confirm its a false alarm, they prioitize the call. It usually only takes a few minuted for a thief to clean you out. Have a system installed with the keypads and alarm but skip the monitoring. The alarm noise is what scares them off. Just my two cents. Im a FF and know losts of cops and how the whole 911 system works.

I have had my house broken into about 4 yrs ago and it does really suck....Almost $30k stolen... Who would have thought that I had that much crap. Get Iron security put up... it doesnt need to look like jail bars... go to my website and look at the different kinds or styles you can do.. Solar style has been very popular lately..

Sorry to hear this Tim... sucks big time and the violation you feel is the worse part.. I feel ya......Hope you find them...

Are you sure that the federal govt didnt mark your house on a mexican map>> you know how they leave the watering holes in the desert... maybe yours is marked for food??:dunno::laughing:... Mexican TWEAKERS?? lol

Sad to hear none the less

Artisticiron.com

Capt

sorry to hear about that Tim. That would suck big time.

We have a house alarm, not sure which brand, but we have motion detector, and all the doors/windows pinned. When the alarm is off, if a door/window is open, the alarm gives 3 little blips...lets you know someone is coming or going.

We have never had ours monitored, though I do have a SECURE sign in my flowerbed with my address on it to make it look like it is. My neighbors HAD theirs monitored. They stopped because they said it was a waste of money.

The new thing here in Bako is that the thieves are using code rollers. They drive around a neighborhood with an electronic device that spits out codes. they drive around until they get a garage door to open up. they back their truck into the garage, shut the door, ransack the house, pull out of the garage, and BAIL

It has happened a couple of times in the last 3 months in my neighborhood. I figure that's what insurance is for.

"So, you say you had 24 PRE-BAN AK-47's with 50 rd clips?"

Don't waste your money on a monitored system. Law enformance do not respond in a timly fashion. They have to much on their plate to worry about theft. If your system is monitored they first call your house, then your call list than if no one can reapond or confirm its a false alarm, they prioitize the call. It usually only takes a few minuted for a thief to clean you out. Have a system installed with the keypads and alarm but skip the monitoring. The alarm noise is what scares them off. Just my two cents. Im a FF and know losts of cops and how the whole 911 system works.

thats right you need to stop the theft before he gos in put the biggest horn on the roof with a key pad the horn sound will stop him before he gets in .

Edited by turbo_bruce

sorry to hear about that Tim. That would suck big time.

We have a house alarm, not sure which brand, but we have motion detector, and all the doors/windows pinned. When the alarm is off, if a door/window is open, the alarm gives 3 little blips...lets you know someone is coming or going.

We have never had ours monitored, though I do have a SECURE sign in my flowerbed with my address on it to make it look like it is. My neighbors HAD theirs monitored. They stopped because they said it was a waste of money.

The new thing here in Bako is that the thieves are using code rollers. They drive around a neighborhood with an electronic device that spits out codes. they drive around until they get a garage door to open up. they back their truck into the garage, shut the door, ransack the house, pull out of the garage, and BAIL

It has happened a couple of times in the last 3 months in my neighborhood. I figure that's what insurance is for.

"So, you say you had 24 PRE-BAN AK-47's with 50 rd clips?"

Motion sensor in my garage to prevent that from happening. if there is ANY motion in the garage the sirens and house alarm go off :D plus i dont have a garage door opener lol

That sucks Tim, give your insurance company a call and see if they offer any discounts for home alarm systems, monitored or not, some do. I agree that a 3 year commitment with companys like ADT or Brinks or whatever you have near you may seem like a waste of money but it is a means to an end and instant security. Without using ADT or one of there competitors the price for a new system can be anywhere from 1500.00 and up just in parts (wireless) but at least you would own it... ADT parts are a lease. Anyways, make sure you have quality locks on your doors and windows. (see if you can break into your own home) Don't use your garage door for the main entry to the home, keep it locked and unplugged. If you do get a system installed make sure lights and sirens come on in the hopes they get scared and run.... Stay in touch with your neighbors unless they are tweekers lol

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input. I am having a system put in tonight. It has the cell monitoring instead of landline and a siren that will activate. Comes with motion sensor, door sensors, 4 remotes to turn on and off and window sensors.

$45 a month. I hope I can sleep better after the installation. Had to take today off because I was so distracted with what happened and had to deal with a police report and insurance claims.

If you want basic home monitoring, any big alarm company vendor will do the same job as the other, some times you can go with a local vendor and get a great deal.

Make sure you do a complete walkthough of your house before anything is installed. installing door sensors at EVERY door in your house is kinda of a waste, in example, if your dinning room and living room are connected, as most are homes with a skidding glass door, you would be better installing a motion sensor to monitor motion in both rooms and any movement at the door instead of installing a door contact.... DONT DO THE WIRELESS SYSTEMS, you will have to budget for batteries for every device monthly.... kinda of a waste.

DO invest the extra $5 bucks a month on the in home maintenance plan, this will save you lots if you ever need anything fixed, need the back up power batteries replaced in the dialer of the system and only have to pay for the cost a new device to be installed if you are adding a new sensor to the system, the labor is covered under the protection plan.

CCTV is a whole different story, from box cameras, to domes, to night vision to PTZ's, I would spend the whole night explaining the differences in camera technology to you, though for a do it your self project, Costco sells a very nice system by Lorex Technologies. The DVR's (digital video recorders) are pretty high quality and their cameras are not to bad either. You will pay about $1,500.00 for this lower end camera system, but it will do its job and be reliable, I have 12 cameras set up at my house with a Lorex DVR, and the Lorex DVR has held up great for the last 5 years. I upgraded the cameras to commercial type cameras, you will need to do this if you want the best quality picture. If your serious about a camera system, PM me and I will guide you in the right direction.

With any security upgrade, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend, posting yard signage that you have an alarm monitoring system and putting some cameras up would be a great deterrent to the amateur or opportunistic thief, but they are less effective with the seasoned or professional criminal.

Edited by SandBurro

SandBurro- Good advice and thanks. I do have a sign in the front yard and it has a solar light to keep it illuminated at night. The system will even tell me what sensor was tripped so I know where to look immediately. Slept pretty good last night but only for 5 hours till I had to bet back up for work.

I have thought about monitors for the house but I am not sure if it is needed. Seems like it was a tweeker or 2 just looking for a quick $. Still checking craigslist but no luck on anything as of yet.

yeah I went to my rental house today and fuggers stole a refrigerator out of the outside bar, and my pool cleaner!!!!

I tell you I am loosing faith in man kind!!! like to camp out with a pistol and cap these fuggers!!!!

what is weird is previous renters left beers in the fridge and they took those out ad left em?????

Dogs will usually keep the tweekers out of your house. By the time an alarm company responds to your residence all of your valuables will be gone. Just my 2 cents...

Very true. I put my dog down about 6 months ago or so. If he was still here I don't think they would have attemped it. We have a puppy now and I am sure he licked them up and down while they were here.

ADT monitors my trlrs doors, my shop & my house. $49 something/mo - screeching loud siren comes on real quick followed by phone calls, then the cops. Can't be beat for peace of mind.

Don't skimp, cover your trlr doors - when the trlr rolls out of range, the alarm goes off. So, get a trlr lock of some kind too.

Speaking of trailer alarms I have one alarm system left that is specifically designed to keep trailers safe. Comes with a motion detector, door switches, wireless keyfob, siren and the ability to set off the lights, siren and lock the trailer brakes. I was selling these for $300.00 but would let this last one go for $175.00

Speaking of trailer alarms I have one alarm system left that is specifically designed to keep trailers safe. Comes with a motion detector, door switches, wireless keyfob, siren and the ability to set off the lights, siren and lock the trailer brakes. I was selling these for $300.00 but would let this last one go for $175.00

That's something I could put in my LQ trlr. How do I unlock the brakes once they're locked? Do I just wire that in to the battery of the trlr or is it a 110 type alarm?

Phil

That's something I could put in my LQ trlr. How do I unlock the brakes once they're locked? Do I just wire that in to the battery of the trlr or is it a 110 type alarm?

Phil

as soon as the alarm resets or is shut off the brakes unlock. If the alarm is re tripped(in other words they try to move it again the brakes will re lock) I won't discuss reset time on here but if your interested PM me. it is a 12 volt battery alarm system.

terry

Edited by ynot