interesting fact about sand dunes

dunefreak

I hear a while back from Ken (KensColors) that sand dunes actually make noise. I found an article by National Geographic about it. It's kinda interesting so thought I'd share it. The friction between the difference in the grains of sand causes a low frequency boom noise. :bump:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...sand_dunes.html

"Age-Old Mystery

Records of the sound are centuries old. Hunt has a book, Tales of Travel, published in 1923, which mentions that explorer Marco Polo knew about it. The tribes of the Sahara in Africa are said to have thought God was speaking to them through the sand. "

thats pretty crazy.never paid attention before to listen for it.gonna have to test it.i say on our first trip to dumont we have a sliding trial and see what we can do :barf: the drunker we are i bet the better the sound. :bump:

Ive heard it at Dumont but its not very loud. St. Anthony is a good place to hear it.

I remember stories from my dad and uncle about Kelso that they are very loud.

The best way to make it do it so you can hear it is on a quiet night or morning on a bike or in a buggy, roll down a hill and get some speed and lock up the rear brakes and slide.Make sure the eninge is off.You'll hear it if its just right.

I read about that a while ago too.....I hear that's why the Indians are so protective of Sand Mountain in Nevada. They believe there is some mystic creature that lives there and makes that noise.

I also read about some lost gold shipment buried under the Amargosa dunes!!

This tripped me out the first time. :fart:

The BIG bowl right behind comp is called the Grumbler.

Get to the top on a quiet day or night. Shut off your car.

Get decent speed and slam the breaks. It's cool stuff.

R-

I hear a while back from Ken (KensColors) that sand dunes actually make noise. I found an article by National Geographic about it. It's kinda interesting so thought I'd share it. The friction between the difference in the grains of sand causes a low frequency boom noise. :beerpint:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...sand_dunes.html

"Age-Old Mystery

Records of the sound are centuries old. Hunt has a book, Tales of Travel, published in 1923, which mentions that explorer Marco Polo knew about it. The tribes of the Sahara in Africa are said to have thought God was speaking to them through the sand. "

dude, that was just the effect of the mushrooms and the peyote they ingested on a daily basis :stick_smack::barf: