vw rail motor advise

jeeperbill

Help wanted or just share some wisdom with a newbie. Bought a 2180 mid engine 2 seater rail took it to Dumont for Haloween and blew a hole in the head, right next to the sparkplug hole and one by the exhaust valve. It has dual carbs and ran great till the head blew out. Looking to get new heads probally form doghouse but need to know what to get. Price has to stay below 750.00 for the set. Not sure what to get so many options out there. So what I am hoping is that some of the wonderful and experianced people on here can help me out with some idea of which ones to get. Been building quads and jeeps for years just never had a rail before.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

Help wanted or just share some wisdom with a newbie. Bought a 2180 mid engine 2 seater rail took it to Dumont for Haloween and blew a hole in the head, right next to the sparkplug hole and one by the exhaust valve. It has dual carbs and ran great till the head blew out. Looking to get new heads probally form doghouse but need to know what to get. Price has to stay below 750.00 for the set. Not sure what to get so many options out there. So what I am hoping is that some of the wonderful and experianced people on here can help me out with some idea of which ones to get. Been building quads and jeeps for years just never had a rail before.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

just ask doghouse or do they not do that....just want too sell ya stuff....I would think they would know

For $750 you can get some nice heads. VW's are very easy to work on. Do you know what caused the failure in the first place? You can probably get away with some mild heads that are ported and polished and still be way under budget. Replacing both heads can be done easily in a few hours. Been a few years since I had a VW motor but I have built a few in my days and are a very simple motor to deal with.

I used to have VW rails in the day but sold my last one to a local mechanic. He promptly took it out to Dumont and found a bowl he liked and did continuous circles around it until the side of the motor on the "uphill" side went away. they don't feed oil upwards for to long so just kinda keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

call car craft 951 781 4480 ask for ed they are real help full . and just had a friend chuck have a turbo motor built buy dog house like around $4000+ and it broke when he was braking it in about 1 hour and i dont know all of what was said but dog house would not help him come to find out the compression ratio was set way to high chuck was told it was 9 to 1 but it was around 13to14 to 1 will know better after the new motor builder cc the head

I was trying not to bother the guys at doghouse with my lack of knowledge. I am pretty sure that it was running a little lean from the looks of the plugs. I was taking it real easy learning how to drive it till sunday then started to run it harder then broke it. I already pulled the head and plan on getting two new ones. It already had the big valves and single springs but wasn't ported. Thinking the mini "D" ported heads would be a good upgrade within my budget. Thanks for all the really quick responses. Going shopping soon have to be ready for pres day.

I was trying not to bother the guys at doghouse with my lack of knowledge. I am pretty sure that it was running a little lean from the looks of the plugs. I was taking it real easy learning how to drive it till sunday then started to run it harder then broke it. I already pulled the head and plan on getting two new ones. It already had the big valves and single springs but wasn't ported. Thinking the mini "D" ported heads would be a good upgrade within my budget. Thanks for all the really quick responses. Going shopping soon have to be ready for pres day.

Your not going to bother Phill at Doghouse. That's what he does for a living beside selling parts. He builds VW motors. Also give him a chance to explaing the blown up motor!

Decent heads are not that expensive. YOu can afford them on your budget. BE 'sure you know what caused the head to "Pop". LEAN is bad.

Again, check with Phil!!!!!

going on 5 years or so on my Doghouse 2332 motor...only thing i've done to it is change the oil, plugs and a valve adj. still runs great. Give Phil a call he'll tell you whats best whether you buy from him or not. :beercheers:

call car craft 951 781 4480 ask for ed they are real help full . and just had a friend chuck have a turbo motor built buy dog house like around $4000+ and it broke when he was braking it in about 1 hour and i dont know all of what was said but dog house would not help him come to find out the compression ratio was set way to high chuck was told it was 9 to 1 but it was around 13to14 to 1 will know better after the new motor builder cc the head

I have a feeling that there is a lot more to this story than this!! Phil didn't build his business by screwing people. This is MHO!

I have a feeling that there is a lot more to this story than this!! Phil didn't build his business by screwing people. This is MHO!

yes there is more i just was not there to see it my self but from what chuck told me is that at the start the heads were not done right after phil put the motor together chuck saw the problem and phil had to take the heads back off to do it right . after chuck took the motor back phil wanted to charge him to see what the problem was .thats bad business if i built a motor for some one and was paid that much $$$ i would take the motor apart to find out the problem at no charge what would it take like 35 min if that of your time just to keep every one happy . and yes there is even more but iam not trying to talk sh*t just stating facts as it was told to me.

Of course I would talk you through the head choices - e-mail me and I'll walk you through it.

Now, if I can be allowed to complete the hijacking of this post, let me teach all the 'engine builders' out there some simple math about how to determine compression ratio:

You add your head volume cc (example 58) to your deck volume cc (example 10.54cc for .060) and to your cylinder volume cc (example 596.75) - your total here is 665.29

divide 665.29 by your head and deck (example here is 68.54) for a final cr of 9.70

Now if you have unequal deck heights (example one is 75, 2 are 65 and 1 is 60) you for a numbers sake can add them all together and divide by 4 (for a 4 cylinder engine) to get an avg deck measurement of 70.27 or 12.27cc.

If the rest of the above numbers are real you can insert 12.27 in place of the 10.54 and arrive at another cr figure of 9.49:1

The rest of the disparaging remarks made about Doghouse aren't worth discussing here.