Prez Day 2011 trip reports

sanddunesaddict

Just got back from the dunes...other than the few hours of rain from sat nite to sun am, pretty awesome weather. the dunes were rough from being packed but a good ride none the less. hill climbs were great and the drags could have gone a little faster but overall a great showing from the las vegas jeep club. props to them for battling the weather and having a good show. i think the weather kept the crowds down but still a hefty showing. havent heard or seen of any big injuries so thats a plus. tried out the new sandies and they worked awesome. cant wait to hit them up again and enjoy the paradise away from home.

KEEP DUNIN' HARD!!! :atv:

the only thing I heard in way of injuries was a motorcycle powered car drove into that hole at the top of comp and broke his back just like Chris(Randog's brother) did.

I saw the car getting towed down the hill with the suspension torn off of it and the steering wheel mangled.

Prayers out to those involved.

I did not make it out there. Had to drive down to so cal to pick up a car but well worth it. Now I just need some input from Bert on this supercharged 3.8.

lots you can do.

Those engines are capable of 5-600HP with the right parts.Need to figure out how to keep the front end down first.

lots you can do.

Those engines are capable of 5-600HP with the right parts.Need to figure out how to keep the front end down first.

I don't really need to get more power out of it. I just want to get all the circuits right and make sure it is running as good as it can stock. It is fairly fast when the front wheels are on the ground. It seems as if the fan and the fuel pump are on the same relay. It is all the stock stuff and computer in it.

I think we saw the end result of the accident you guys are talking about. Did it happen on Saturday? We saw a car stuck in the whole yesterday afternoon. We didn't see any medics, but they may have already been there.

Our friend got into a serious accident on Friday between the north pole and comp. We were on a mellow family ride with 17 vehicles. He flipped his RZR end over end on a tiny dune. We kept him in the RZR until the medics arrived 45 minutes later. Luckily 2 of the girls in our group have a medical background and kept his head still. He got transported by an ambulance to Pahrump and then to UMC trauma. He had a broken vertebrae in his neck. He has a halo and is still at UMC. His daughter was riding with him, but she is okay. They think he will be okay, but please keep him in your prayers.

I would like to send out a hella big thumbs up to the EMTs, Deputies, and Rangers, and also to the fellow duners who all arrived in the blink of an eye to render aid/assistance to some folks who collided at the top of Comp Saturday afternoon. A couple of bruised and battered duners and a totaled DS 730 and DS 770. The motors are salvageable and the bodies will heal but why the hell I ever let my son go to Comp on a holiday weekend I will never know. I knew better and worse yet I was right behind him.

I'm truely sorry that I didn't get any names in the heat of the moment but thank you very much to the duners that helped load up the quads and transport them back to camp. You guys were awesome.

I seriously hope that lessons learned from our experience is to look both directions before launching over the backside of Comp into the area where everyone is coming up and down, and to not use the top of Comp as your own personal Talladega on holiday weekends. There was no way to watch that crash and not think folks would be leaving in helicopters. I'm very glad that I didn't have to use my Reach Lifeflight insurance, but glad that I had the peace of mind of having should I need it.

GPS said 65 right before impact so another big thanks to any powers that be that may have kept more serious injuries or worse from occuring.

Holy cow. Glad to hear all is good. I choose to stay away from the big weekends. At least I try. Dumont is quite small and gets crowded quick. But its hella fun on an off weekend. Was the crash between you and your son or where there others involved? Either way good to know you have a life line available. We will pray it has to never be used. For you or anyone else.

Was the crash between you and your son or where there others involved?

I was several bike lengths behind him as we were going to do the whole top of Comp from the far right side across and down to where it tapers into the finger dunes. We made sure the hill was clear before we took off. As we cleared the section where most people race up and turn to the left to come down a RZR-4 came over the top, had him cleared with no problem but then a DS popped over the top behind him. At 65mph my son tried like hell to avoid the collision. Had the wheels cranked as hard to the left as he could without rolling it over and did a powerslide broadside into the other DS. The other DS was from our camp and a good friend of mine. All is well between the bunch of us.

If you've ever seen Indy racers get their wheels in between one another well that's what happened. One of them goes airborne. The video from my sons GoPro is insane and like I said before makes you wonder how nobody left in a meat wagon. I wonder if anyone happened to capture it from the bottom of Comp?

On the video from the point of impact until both riders stopped barrelrolling, cartwheeling, and flipping, took a total of 8 seconds. From the point of impact until the first Ranger arrived took 17 seconds. 17 SECONDS! They had to be sitting at the base of the hill. But outstanding response regardless. I think the Sheriff's Department sandrail made it to the scene before my boys DS stopped cartwheeling to the bottom. Again, outstanding job by everyone that can to help.

Can't speak for any other days besides friday, but there was alot of people in the camping area, but nobody riding the dunes.. What a great day, the dunes were steep! the ridges were crisp! and you had better have brought your A game if you were going to do some serious riding.. It was awesome! The sand was finally dry for the first time in months and the shapes of the dunes must have recently been remolded due to some high winds?

a little video for anyone who wasnt there friday!

What a killer weekend. Made a bunch of new friends in camp. Had a group of 5 guys who made the trip out of Missouri. 24 hours to get to Dumont, with no hauler, just a truck and a flatbed. Those guys have some stories to take home with them for sure.

Went on a bunch of good rides, Dunes started getting torn up saturday afternoon. Rain saturday night made for some rough rides, but still had a good ride on the flats. Had a good 5th gear race though the whoops over to the north pole, I think that was the best ride all weekend.

Got out about 9 am today, got the uhaul trailer back before 3:30, saved $30. It was a good drive home.

DSC04401.jpg

DSC04402.jpg

Tami taking the LTR up comp, stepping up her game big time.

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04403.jpg

DSC04405.jpg

DSC04406.jpg

DSC04407.jpg

DSC04408.jpg

DSC04409.jpg

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04411.jpg

DSC04415.jpg

DSC04416.jpg

DSC04422.jpg

DSC04424.jpg

DSC04425.jpg

DSC04426.jpg

The Missouri Boys!

DSC04427.jpg

DSC04428.jpg

DSC04429.jpg

DSC04446.jpg

DSC04453.jpg

DSC04455.jpg

DSC04459.jpg

DSC04460.jpg

DSC04469.jpg

DSC04469.jpg

DSC04433.jpg

DSC04434.jpg

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04440.jpg

We just visited our friend Joe in the hospital. Very sobering experience to see your friend get that hurt in a freak accident. He wanted to give a big thanks to the girls in our group that helped him and the medics/rangers. He is doing ok, considering the circumstances. He got his halo yesterday. Pain meds help too. :)