My trike build

andydew

:blink::shake:

Well, I haven't even gotten started on building my first, and a craigslist ad screamed at me to take a look...and my wife was out of town :woo_hoo:

post-6067-067300200 1299442496_thumb.jpg

post-6067-013133300 1299442511_thumb.jpg

So, now I have 2 '85 70's...Yah, another set of twins :dope: I'll probably combine the best parts of both, and keep a sound stocker/ beater/guest toy, and build the other one for me :yiah: . My latest one has some substantial rust in the tank, and I want to address that before I do anything else. I've seen this come up before, but what works, what doesn't?

Also, slightly less important, both of mine were bill of sale only. What is involved in trying to get them stickered again, or is it just not worth it?

Edited by andydew

I have 4 70's in the garage, allegedly. The wife claims I didn't tell her about the last one. I claim she couldn't hear me tell her because of all that snoring she was doing.

Anyway, congrats! The addiction only gets worse....

On the tank rust, here is a thread: Tank cleaning thread

I know dunefreak had posted up a thread about it when he first got his bike...

No title shoudn't be a huge deal. Needs to be taken in for VIN verification if it is out of the system. Not a bad idea to register them.

Hell yeah Andy. Congrats dude! These things are the best bang for your buck...well...in the beginning and then the ridiculousness sets in with the DRATV.com orders, paint jobs, big motors, custom fab, etc etc etc. Then you have as much into them as a full size adult toy, but at that point they are 10X the fun. laughing.gifbeerpint.gif

This was probably the thread I was thinking about, but couldn't find. Thanks for the link! Murriatic acid doesn't sound terribly expensive either, so that's good news. My latest is missing a pull starter, so I might be looking for one, if someone has one...Might just order up an Lifan and be done with it :dunno:

Is there a way to check the vin/ dmv history without actually going in and being slapped with possible late fees. I don't think you can do OHVs @ AAA, but is there any other way to check if it's still in the system?

As for the cost...I'm a little bit worried what I might spend; My wife says my spending habits are "impulsive" :laughing: Wait till she finds out what I bought when she left for a few days :lol: . I got a few ideas up @ the regatta...I'll post up pics whenever I get started :yiah:

• 1 month later...

WOOHOO :woo_hoo:

Got some parts in today. Still not completely envisioning the final product, but I'm not sure I'll be limited to just this build either :laughing: I wanna see something turbo'd in the future...well, maybe... :assblast: Eitherway, I know I have 2 pink 70's within the next 5 years :freakin_nuts:

So here goes; one last before picture:

post-6067-0-07915000-1302657012_thumb.jp

and a few pics of my new schtufff:

post-6067-0-88352000-1302657013_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-84674900-1302657015_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-24704700-1302657010_thumb.jp

Any suggestions are more than welcome :beercheers:

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the rusty tank link!

I filled my tank with 5 or 6 dollars worth of murriatic acid. A few days later, I went out to check it, and...whalllaaa. It looks like brand new. I can not believe that as bad as my tank was, it turned out so good. Another 5 or 6 dollars worth of gas to rinse it out, and I was done.

Thanks again fellas :beercheers:

Thanks again for the rusty tank link!

I filled my tank with 5 or 6 dollars worth of murriatic acid. A few days later, I went out to check it, and...whalllaaa. It looks like brand new. I can not believe that as bad as my tank was, it turned out so good. Another 5 or 6 dollars worth of gas to rinse it out, and I was done.

Thanks again fellas :beercheers:

I definitely owe Pete a cold brew for that idea. Works like charm every time!

AAA used to do offroad stuff and quit i just picked up and sandrail and when in and talk to one of the dmv agents they can check it out for u if u have the vin but to do the paper work you have to goto dmv right now that is she said they are going to start training to do offroad again maybe a month or two....hope that helps

This was probably the thread I was thinking about, but couldn't find. Thanks for the link! Murriatic acid doesn't sound terribly expensive either, so that's good news. My latest is missing a pull starter, so I might be looking for one, if someone has one...Might just order up an Lifan and be done with it :dunno:

Is there a way to check the vin/ dmv history without actually going in and being slapped with possible late fees. I don't think you can do OHVs @ AAA, but is there any other way to check if it's still in the system?

As for the cost...I'm a little bit worried what I might spend; My wife says my spending habits are "impulsive" :laughing: Wait till she finds out what I bought when she left for a few days :lol: . I got a few ideas up @ the regatta...I'll post up pics whenever I get started :yiah:

• 2 months later...

Bored lookin at for sale threads, I thought I'd put up a couple of pics that I promised, of the progress...or lack there of :laughing:

I was off to a good start, and then work got busy again, so I haven't made any progress for the last 2 months, but this is where I got. :assblast: I know, I know, I have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go :P

post-6067-0-85799900-1313199666_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-07746600-1313199665_thumb.jp

Still contemplating my exhaust setup...Gonna have to take it all over to the shop for some real fab work :headbang1:

• 5 months later...

OK, so I've been trying to get this thing going, and here is some of my progress on my 125 lifan: I wired it up and checked for spark tonight, and I'm getting really stoked :headbang1:

post-6067-0-31078200-1327296343_thumb.jp

quite a bit a manipulating, and the exhaust fits

post-6067-0-79834500-1327296286_thumb.jp

even more confusion, and the hyd. disc brakes are functioning

post-6067-0-03046900-1327296347_thumb.jp

I set the tank and fenders on her, for a self motivational moment

post-6067-0-56934100-1327296347_thumb.jp

And lastly, my "kick" starter jockey knob :headbang1:

I SOOO want to get it powder coated and re-upholster the seat in time, but not realistic with work right now :(

It's alive! With a squirt of go juice, she took her first breath today. Just about ripped my hand off that jockey knob. She sounds just awesome resonating in the shop. I haven't been this excited for awhile. Might need some help tuning the carb, but she should be ready for the regatta!

It's alive! With a squirt of go juice, she took her first breath today. Just about ripped my hand off that jockey knob. She sounds just awesome resonating in the shop. I haven't been this excited for awhile. Might need some help tuning the carb, but she should be ready for the regatta!

Andy you can do it. Make it happen.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/35607917?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="

70/ Lifan 125/ Her first breath</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6967779">Andy Shaw</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>