Fatality at Dumont on 3-18-11

dunefreak

I never get used to hearing about this stuff. It always hits home and is horrible to hear. Just a reminder to never underestimate the dangers of those dunes. Be careful people and never ride above your limits.

My condolences to Charles' family. :(

"On 3/18/2011, a family was riding their All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) in the Dumont Dunes area in rural Baker. The leading driver, Charles Edward Piddisi a 52 year-old resident of Las Vegas, NV, was driving a Yamaha 350 four-wheeled ATV at a high rate of speed toward the top of a sand dune in the area. When he reached the crest, he lost control of the ATV and was ejected. Piddisi landed about 150 feet away from his vehicle and other riders called 911 at 10:03 PM. Paramedics from the San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to the remote area arriving to Piddisi's location at 10:10 PM hours and he was pronounced dead at 10:12 PM. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the accident."

My partner was actually dispatched to that call from Las Vegas.......as he hit Baker, the crew was obviously cancelled .

My understanding is that there was no one in the group that knew CPR.

I honestly don't know if it would have made any difference in this situation...........BUT, if it was true, it's a tragedy that in this day and age

no one even attempted. Please, people.......either get certified or at LEAST take a look on line and learn compressions. I can answer any questions anyone has

regarding CPR.

RIP Charles and my thoughts go out to the Piddis family and friends.

I just found out about this right now. Chuck is a friend of mine and I don't even know how to react to this. He has a daughter and a wife that is left behind. This is a big loss. He was crazy, and loved to ride. And he was a good father. He is going to be missed by all.

I just got a text on what happen. He was riding with his daughter and her boy friend around 9:30 pm on the 18th. He was the lead rider and came up on a razor back but did not see it cause of the wind. He landed on the down the hill a good ways and all 3 were knocked out. When his daughter woke up he was cold and real soft. He had blood from his helmet and no heart beat. A few other dunners went for help. But b4 the medics got to him he had passed. He had full gear on and was just on a dune ride.

RIP fellow duner. Condolences to his family and friends.

Heading to a spaghetti supper fund raiser this evening for a co-worker who's son was returning from a ride during low light conditions and was killed by a hit and run driver. Gotta help out when we can, no matter how experienced or careful you are things can and do happen.

http://www.vote29.com/newmyblog/archives/17134

I just found out about this right now. Chuck is a friend of mine and I don't even know how to react to this. He has a daughter and a wife that is left behind. This is a big loss. He was crazy, and loved to ride. And he was a good father. He is going to be missed by all.

I learned about this early this morning from a few R/C Airplane friends of mine. I knew chuck from the airfield and flying airplanes with him. Definatley an eye opener. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I received a couple emails today from Chucks daughter and his friend, Rich.

Rich had troubles posting on the forum so he asked me to post this for him...

"I think that people need to know the truth about chuck paddisi and the ride we were on. Chuck, myself a friend and his daughter. None of witch were knocked out.The story is far from accurate, chuck was instantly killed from the impact, his body so badly contorted and shattered. That c.p.r. was not an option. He had been gone for near ten min at this time.

The horrid choice for me to leave my best friend is haunting. The fact remained that there were others in need of help. Sadly the conditions, kept life flight and others from a speedy arrival. THANK YOU ALL THAT WERE ABLE TO ASSIST IN THIS . as to all that figure cpr was skipped. You are sadly hopping it would have saved him, butt, you were not there, and there were others seriously injured.. please refer to the san Bernardino sun wright up. As mentioned the impact was 150 feet + ejecting 100 more.

I regret to say I was there. He was and is still my best friend. I will miss you…rich"

post-3-0-28324200-1300761978_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-78970500-1300761978_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-31470700-1300761979_thumb.jpg

I received a couple emails today from Chucks daughter and his friend, Rich.

Rich had troubles posting on the forum so he asked me to post this for him...

"I think that people need to know the truth about chuck paddisi and the ride we were on. Chuck, myself a friend and his daughter. None of witch were knocked out.The story is far from accurate, chuck was instantly killed from the impact, his body so badly contorted and shattered. That c.p.r. was not an option. He had been gone for near ten min at this time.

The horrid choice for me to leave my best friend is haunting. The fact remained that there were others in need of help. Sadly the conditions, kept life flight and others from a speedy arrival. THANK YOU ALL THAT WERE ABLE TO ASSIST IN THIS . as to all that figure cpr was skipped. You are sadly hopping it would have saved him, butt, you were not there, and there were others seriously injured.. please refer to the san Bernardino sun wright up. As mentioned the impact was 150 feet + ejecting 100 more.

I regret to say I was there. He was and is still my best friend. I will miss you…rich"

Thanks for the story and the pictures. That must have been difficult to write........I apologize for trying to turn it into a PSA.

I wasn't working that night and my partner had called me because he's never been to Dumont before. I had a bad feeling if they were calling for a rescue that would be +- 2 hours away.

I guess the info he received was vague concerning the condition of your friend.

Hoping there was no suffering and I know I can only hope to go doing something I love.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I WILL POST (IF I DO THIS CORRECT,AS I HAVE NEVER DONE A FOFUM/CHAT) THE PASSING (PARTY) GATHERING AT THE NORTH POLE OF DUMONT WHEN THINGS SETTLE IN. TO ALL WHO KNOW HIM, OR HAVE LOST A FRIEND THERE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN THE CELIBRATION OF ALL WHOM HAVE MOVED ON TO A BETTER PLACE. I WILL POST DATE SOON. SPECIAL THANX TO JOSH AND HIS FAMILY FOR THE INSTANT HELP AND SUPPORT. AND TO THE UNKNOWN GIRL, WHO SAT ENDLESSLY, GAURDING MY BEST FRIEND ON TOP THAT EMPTY DARK HILL, GOD BLESS YOU... I CRY FOR YOU TOO :( THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.... RED RAPTOR R6 "RICH"

the LVRCC flying club is going to host a Fun Fly event at Bennet Field in las vegas all donations and proceeds to go to the Pidisi family. Event details to be discussed after things settle down for the family.

"Rich is absolutely right, when i seen my dad crash, i ran to him, and turned him over, everything was shattered He was Not Breathing he was dead, CPR was not an option! and i know for a FACT my dad would not want to be brought back, he would have been a vegetable and my dad would have ended up miserable, he's my dad so i should know what he would have wanted to happen. The accident was just that, an accident. my dad never rode crazy or fast at night. he was scared sometimes, i believe that my dad thought the hill he was on was banshee hill. it was dark and the sand and wind was in our faces. God obviously had a need for him up there in heaven, i just wish he could have waited, im 16. my dad and rich were best friends and rich did everything he could do, so did i, but what could we have really done? he was killed instantly! i regret leaving for help, i knew he was gone i just wish i could have stayed by his side longer. thank you to everyone who helped my and my family that night, even though the efforts were pointless. thanks again. LONG LIVE THE BANSHEE BOY! Rest In Peace Daddy, I LOVE YOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER! 07/12/58-03/18/11"

"Rich is absolutely right, when i seen my dad crash, i ran to him, and turned him over, everything was shattered He was Not Breathing he was dead, CPR was not an option! and i know for a FACT my dad would not want to be brought back, he would have been a vegetable and my dad would have ended up miserable, he's my dad so i should know what he would have wanted to happen. The accident was just that, an accident. my dad never rode crazy or fast at night. he was scared sometimes, i believe that my dad thought the hill he was on was banshee hill. it was dark and the sand and wind was in our faces. God obviously had a need for him up there in heaven, i just wish he could have waited, im 16. my dad and rich were best friends and rich did everything he could do, so did i, but what could we have really done? he was killed instantly! i regret leaving for help, i knew he was gone i just wish i could have stayed by his side longer. thank you to everyone who helped my and my family that night, even though the efforts were pointless. thanks again. LONG LIVE THE BANSHEE BOY! Rest In Peace Daddy, I LOVE YOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER! 07/12/58-03/18/11"

post-7507-0-70030200-1300821916_thumb.jp

post-7507-0-57291600-1300821939_thumb.jp

post-7507-0-13408300-1300821949_thumb.jp

post-7507-0-10863000-1300821982_thumb.jp

God obviously had a need for him up there in heaven, i just wish he could have waited, im 16.

You are in my thoughts. I pray your pain heals and you find comfort with your family.

!

I usually don't respond to events such as this. But your situation has struck me so hard that I couldn't help but send you a message that we all as a group of people involved in this sport feel for you and your family. All of us know that we all run the fine line almost every time we go out on a ride whether it's 10:30AM or 10:30 PM. For the grace of God go I.

Having lost a son within the last months I can only tell you that the pain that is all encompassing now will slowly fade but will not go away and that is a good thing. Let time heal the loss at it's own pace. I can only tell you that we all want you to know that we are for you if you need anything from the duning community, all you need do is ask.

Terry

!

I usually don't respond to events such as this. But your situation has struck me so hard that I couldn't help but send you a message that we all as a group of people involved in this sport feel for you and your family. All of us know that we all run the fine line almost every time we go out on a ride whether it's 10:30AM or 10:30 PM. For the grace of God go I.

Having lost a son within the last months I can only tell you that the pain that is all encompassing now will slowly fade but will not go away and that is a good thing. Let time heal the loss at it's own pace. I can only tell you that we all want you to know that we are for you if you need anything from the duning community, all you need do is ask.

Terry

Thank you all so much,-candice

Thank you all so much,-candice

Myself. my family and I'm sure all my friends that Dune can't really feel your pain but, my sympathy and others go out to you and your family. May he rest in peace and your and yours heal with time!

Myself. my family and I'm sure all my friends that Dune can't really feel your pain but, my sympathy and others go out to you and your family. May he rest in peace and your and yours heal with time!

god bless i just met him my last trip out him and his friend with the r6 quad needed a oring for his quad that was leaking oil and i gave one to him he was a real nice guy .

I am sorry for the loss of your father. He sounds like a great guy and am sure he will be missed by many......

As an older rider myself (54) I respect that he lived life his way.......Godspeed Charles.

a1scoot

Chuck was my friend. I'm still in denial. Great guy that loved his family and told me often how proud his was of Candice. I'm going to miss him very much!

Candice, if you or your mom need anything, Im only 8 houses down the street.

Edited by MIGHTY WHITEY