Raptor long travel kit

andydew

So my wife rolled her quad a while ago, and she had bent her handle bars. So I ordered up a new pair...along with a long travel kit :yiah:

I got this kit off of ebay. It came with eyeball engineering A-arms, and elka shocks. Not the most expensive on the market, but she's a fairly mild rider, and it only gets ridden a couple of weekends a year, so I wasn't gonna drop tooo much coin into this. So far, I like the quality I've seen, but I haven't ridden it yet, either :dunno: It took me about 3 hrs., and the fitment seems like they new what they are doing.

The kit is a 3+1, so the bike is ALOT wider now. I had the shocks set up for 175 lb. rider; she's only about 130, but I'm gonna get on thing thing eventually, so I aimed somewhere near the middle :whistle::laughing:

Watcha think?

post-6067-0-37893500-1301447242_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-69098200-1301447248_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-29568200-1301447244_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-44408800-1301447246_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-74091500-1301447250_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-88378900-1301447252_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-10152400-1301447255_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-11394900-1301447257_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-33605300-1301447259_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-54960700-1301447239_thumb.jp

That Raptor looks like its ready to Hit the dunes. You can see this puppy is very wide. Going to Ride Smooth. Your wife will be very Happy with it.

I love my Elka's on my bike. Made me ride so much more comfortable and gave me a little more confidence as seemed to be able to control the bike better. I think your wife will like them a lot!

No joke; I'm hoping to get in one more trip this season. We are waiting for our group to coordinate something soon I hope.

Even with the new spacers on the rear, it is unproportionately wider up front; but as long as it performs, it's all good. The 3+1 kit came with a notice that it makes the bike too wide for some racing specs, in case you were considering, the 2" kit would be better if you had racing plans. We just hit the sand however, so as the old pontiac commercial goes, ee ahu a oola: wider is better.

This kit came with the 3" wider, 1" forward arms, new tie rods, elka shocks, and longer brake lines for $1625. You can upgrade the shocks to get more adjustability, and the price gets adjusted as well :blury: I opted for no adjustments on the shocks to save a several hundred bones.

Can't wait to try it out :whoop:

• 2 months later...

another great mod for the 660's is buy the linkage from an 01 and flip it over, bolt on a 700 rear shock and you will get around 2-3 more inches of travel out of the back, will make a huge differance through the whoops! will be another cheap but effective upgrade to help with your front suspension. looks good though. you will love the elka's, i run the rebound/compression adjustable on both of mine. i was a die hard 660 guy for years, my last build we hit 63 hp out of a 686 that was put together from a box of parts... the 660's were always an underdog, but with a little work you can make them fffast =)

Right on! Sounds like a good idea right there :beercheers:

When we were shopping for my wifes quad, I wanted the 450 for her; lighter, more hp, faster, etc; but she wanted the 660...because it had reverse :dope: I hear ya on the underdog thing. A pipe and a k&n came right away; christmas presents if I recall :yiah:

I only got to ride it for about 10 minutes on our season closer. It is a completely different animal.

if you want to upgrade the motor look into a set of monster (those are just my fav, many other good companies out there) duals and a set of FCR carbs. those were probably by far the best two mods i did to mine. just those two alone will give you the HP to run pretty much any 3 mod 700 and 450. dont mess with the compression unless you plan on changing the connecting rod.

Eyeball makes a great kit. I had the 2+1 kit on my old 660. I also switched out the rear axel for a +2. What a difference. Eyeball used to be over off of Sunset and the 95, but when the recession hit, they moved back east to where they were from originaly.

With some careful love of a heat gun, you can get most of those stress marks out of the plastics.

I've heard of that, but I have yet to try it.... So if the plastic starts drippin, I didn't love it carefully enought? :clown: I still have to decide which route to go on the missing light, too. Stock, HID, LED, etc... Thanks however, I'll have to give it a try :idea:

Eyeball makes a great kit. I had the 2+1 kit on my old 660. I also switched out the rear axel for a +2. What a difference. Eyeball used to be over off of Sunset and the 95, but when the recession hit, they moved back east to where they were from originaly.

I was thinking about fabbing up a pair of arms myself, but for the price, I couldn't hardly beat it, and save myslf all that time to use riding instead :whoop: Eyeball definetly puts out a great product :thumb:

if it was me i would stay away from the HID's. ive had two sets on two diff 660's and they were problems. there OK if you buy a aftermarket stator and keep a battery tender on your battery when your not riding b/c they need a full battery to run them, drop a few volts and only one will work if your lucky. i ended up going back to stock with some trail tech laser lights on ours. i havnt heard anything about the LED's to say yes or no on them. to me the HID's ended up being 200 bucks that was thrown away.