high speed rail from Vegas to CA closer to reality

dunefreak

There has been talk about this over the years and now it may become a reality fairly soon. Ground breaking for the project may start as early as one year from now.

This thing is going to reach speeds of 150 mph and take only about 80 minutes to get from the strip to Victorville. Not sure why it will stop there. Who really wants to get to only Victorville? There was some mention of a future project to extend it to Palmdale.

One thing is good- it will create many jobs. Kinda cool and thought it was worth sharing.

desertxpress.jpg

DX-HS-map.jpg

http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_focus/transportation/31586-desert-high-speed-rail-stays-on-track.html

My thought as to why it would stop there is, Victorville is at the top of the pass. Maybe they don't want that thing hauling butt downhill.

It's a plan by some wannabe rich guys with political connections....Federal Loan to build this thing!....just like the Monorail in Vegas that flopped but some make millions! Stinks of Harry Reid all over again!

Gee....going down Cajon Pass would cost to much and the cost of real estate in the valley would prevent it from being built at all.

This thing stinks from the git go!!!!

:2cents:

:blury:

Edited by SANDAWG

Yeah, there is no more room to build beyond Hesperia (Or "Desparia" as my buddy calls it). I have always thought that would be an awsome thing to have, it would cut down on accidents and overall traffic on the 15 drastically.

There has been talk about this over the years and now it may become a reality fairly soon. Ground breaking for the project may start as early as one year from now.

This thing is going to reach speeds of 150 mph and take only about 80 minutes to get from the strip to Victorville. Not sure why it will stop there. Who really wants to get to only Victorville? There was some mention of a future project to extend it to Palmdale. One thing is good- it will create many jobs. Kinda cool and thought it was worth sharing.

Might go that direction to intersect with proposed train to and from bay area.

There is supposed to be a plan in California to connect other high Speed Rail lines with Victorville. Sometime in the sometime to never future. Rail is dead in the US and always will be, people like their cars too much, at least until gas gets up more. This High-speed rail is a joke anyway, it's still old technology. The monorail to Anaheim makes way more sense, and it uses more modern technology. The Monorail also goes to a real destination.

Very close to actuality ... Stops there because of political reasons... supposed to tie into a rail to LA or SD. Forget what I was told now.. I said the same thing..... WHo goes to Victorville for anything lol

Capt

It's a plan by some wannabe rich guys with political connections....Federal Loan to build this thing!....just like the Monorail in Vegas that flopped but some make millions! Stinks of Harry Reid all over again!

Gee....going down Cajon Pass would cost to much and the cost of real estate in the valley would prevent it from being built at all.

This thing stinks from the git go!!!!

:2cents:

:blury:

they were saying in the local paper that it would "cost to much to go up the cajon pass". dont know if its real estate or what.

Anyways... Victim-ville is a great place lol. Its 15 minutes from me and would be cheap to go to vegas! :headbang1:

CA high speed rail is dead in it's tracks for now.

Why would everyone here want to take on extra tax burdens to run these high speed rails? Hell, we still spend 1 billion dollars annually on AMTRAK, which was supposed to be able to be cost effective and run with no help over 20 yrs ago.

This is nothing but a giant govt FAIL, which will burden us with higher taxes to pay for a bunch of fatass government workers that are unionized

CA high speed rail is dead in it's tracks for now.

Why would everyone here want to take on extra tax burdens to run these high speed rails? Hell, we still spend 1 billion dollars annually on AMTRAK, which was supposed to be able to be cost effective and run with no help over 20 yrs ago.

This is nothing but a giant govt FAIL, which will burden us with higher taxes to pay for a bunch of fatass government workers that are unionized

I've never understood politicians' woodies for high-speed rail, ESPECIALLY in SoCal. It makes sense in the Northeast, where you already have a high number of rail commuters, and a traditional hub-and-spoke layout for the commute. But Southern California doesn't have that kind of centralized focus for commuters. Look at any freeway in LA at rush hour, it's likely you'll see equally high volumes of traffic heading in each direction. Central LA alone has four distinct high-rise districts along the Wilshire corridor, and that's not including Century City.

Plus, Vegas to Victorville? Seriously? :wtf: That makes even less sense than LA to Sacramento. The only peeps who'd ride a LA-to-Sacto route would be the politicians and lobbyists who got the damn thing built in the first place. It'd be just another boondoggle like the Metro Green Line, which was supposed to go to LAX but the taxi drivers and bus companies bitched that they'd lose business. Net effect: The "LAX" stop is almost three miles (!) away.

I've never understood politicians' woodies for high-speed rail, ESPECIALLY in SoCal. It makes sense in the Northeast, where you already have a high number of rail commuters, and a traditional hub-and-spoke layout for the commute. But Southern California doesn't have that kind of centralized focus for commuters. Look at any freeway in LA at rush hour, it's likely you'll see equally high volumes of traffic heading in each direction. Central LA alone has four distinct high-rise districts along the Wilshire corridor, and that's not including Century City.

Plus, Vegas to Victorville? Seriously? :wtf: That makes even less sense than LA to Sacramento. The only peeps who'd ride a LA-to-Sacto route would be the politicians and lobbyists who got the damn thing built in the first place. It'd be just another boondoggle like the Metro Green Line, which was supposed to go to LAX but the taxi drivers and bus companies bitched that they'd lose business. Net effect: The "LAX" stop is almost three miles (!) away.

I read an Op-Ed (in Newsweek, I think), that explained it as progressives trying to move civilization away from from individualism and toward populism, noting that it would cost more in energy, money, etc to have the trains than the status quo. Trains equal people having to stick to a mandated schedule and routes, where in a car we are "free" to roam as we please. A little too tin-foil-hat for me, but interesting.

The Feds, California and Nevada can't afford to build it. So people have pipe dreams of the private sector. If the UP could make money hauling passengers they'd upgrade the track to high speed rail. They all ready own the land. They couldn't make money so they gladly turned passengers over to Amtrash who with the aid of your tax dollars couldn't do it either and dropped Las Vegas.

Reminds me of the Vegas Monorail to nowhere even more so now that Sahara is closing. Just another private company that doesn't have to tell the public crap and who is looking for Federal loans (your tax dollars) to get the darn thing built. One thing is sure the darn thing won't have to make a dime or carry anywhere enough passengers for it's officers to collect THEIR big $$$. And you think those loans would be repaid?

Eli

I read an Op-Ed (in Newsweek, I think), that explained it as progressives trying to move civilization away from from individualism and toward populism, noting that it would cost more in energy, money, etc to have the trains than the status quo. Trains equal people having to stick to a mandated schedule and routes, where in a car we are "free" to roam as we please. A little too tin-foil-hat for me, but interesting.

Mmmmmmm... maybe , but I think that gives too much credit to the politicians. I think they just like big shiny things. You know, like a parrot, but with less intelligence. :laughing:

If the UP could make money hauling passengers they'd upgrade the track to high speed rail. They all ready own the land. They couldn't make money so they gladly turned passengers over to Amtrash who with the aid of your tax dollars couldn't do it either and dropped Las Vegas.

Exactly. There's little to no money in passenger rail. The lone exception is that Northeast corridor, basically DC to NY with the cities in between. Passenger trains are a pleasant diversion... not a viable solution for intercity travel. Not in the West anyway.

Edited by Noozeyeguy