Pismo in trouble

andydew

I just got this from ASA. thought I'd spread the word:

The Friends of Oceano Dunes have asked that we help spread the word on the proposed plan by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) to designate a large portion of the Oceano Dunes SVRA in Pismo Beach, California as critical habitat for the Snow Plover which would eliminate OHV activity and would greatly affect access to the dunes.

Comments on the proposed plan must be received by 5/23/11. The Friends of Oceano Dunes have drafted a letter for OHV enthusiasts to send to USFWS:

SUGGESTED LETTER:

Public Comments Processing,

Attn: FWS-R8-ES-2010-0070

Division of Policy and Directives Management

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222

Arlington, VA 22203

Re: Opposition to Inclusion of Oceano Dunes SVRA in the Critical Habitat Designation for the Western Snowy Plover

Dear Fish and Wildlife Service:

I OPPOSE designating Oceano Dunes SVRA as plover critical habitat. It should remain excluded for economic reasons as it has been for the past 6 years without harm to the plover.

I am a frequent visitor to Oceano Dunes SVRA in Pismo Beach, California, where I enjoy one of the most unique off-roading experiences in the world. I have just learned that the Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to declare a significant part of Oceano Dunes to be "critical" habitat for the western snowy plover.

I am confused by this proposal since I know that in 2005 the Service specifically excluded Oceano Dunes from plover critical habitat because of the severe impacts such a regulation would have on the local and regional economy in San Luis Obispo County. Miles of riding area have already been off-limits to off-road recreation even though this is not critical habitat. The plover seems to be thriving with all of the conservation measures that State Parks currently has in place. I understand that State Parks is planning even more. In light of all this, what additional benefit can adding the critical habitat regulation have? It seems like it will just be used by extremists to try to shut down the park to off-road recreation.

Sincerely,

Sign Name: *______________________________ Date* _________

Print Name:* ______________________________

Address: *________________________________

City *____________ State:* _______ Zip* ____

*REQUIRED

I grew up less than a half hour from Pismo. They have been trying this for YEARS! They never get anywhere. But it sure does get everyone's panties in a bunch.

probably because everytime they do get the votes to close some land, it is gone forever...kinda don't want that to happen :blink:

it's the most profitable park that the state of CA has...they won't let their cash cow go so fast...That, and off roaders single-highhandedly keep the economy of those sleepy bedroom communities thriving with their hundreds of millions of dollars pumped into it every year from the dune visitors.

Every freekin year, it's some new emergency from a different front on that place. Hell, IMO, with only 1500 acres and 20k people, it gets too stupid on sold out weekends for families anyway.

just my 2 cents

In all honesty...I've never been there.

I just hate the thought of some group of nut jobs trying to mess things up for this sport, wherever they pick their fight.

Pismo is and forever will be the biggest fight between off roaders and eco-nazis. The central coast of California is home to the most single minded environmentalists in the country. They will not stop untill they can declare victory and claim the dunes as "thier" own. It's funny how they want to "Share the Wealth" with all people, yet they try so hard to take away public land from the general public. Hypocrites are funny like that arent they.

All that we can do is fight them back every time they come at us with some new BS agenda. Sign every petition, email our public representatives, and stay within the area's provided for us to ride. Being responsible off-roaders goes a long way with those who have the power to shut us down.