GPS recommendations

dunefreak

I'm looking to get a GPS soon for my dual sport. I currently just use my phone for mapping and such but it is limited to 3G signal. I don't need a big huge fancy device but Im wondering if anyone has any recommendations for one they use and like. It will be mounted on my bars so nothing too big and crazy. I just need something I can plug coordinates and waypoints into.

Hey Pete I saw an app on amazon last week that had downloadable gps/topographical maps so that when you didn't have service you could still use the maps. Just download the map or whatever route and then be on your way. I'll see if I can find the name for it.

I have a Garmin for work. When we hike up north it gets kinda hairy in some places and we need to have coordinates available if we need help from a helocopter or medical response. Cheap insurance incase u get lost you can backtrack your way out with one.

Pete, I bought a Garmin from Nick a cpl yrs back and have never really used it. if you want to look at it I will sell it to you cheap. I know Nick can show you how all the stuff works. It's an etrex. Let me know

Mine is also the Etrex. Very simple to use. The only thing it is missing is color. But for work, black and white is just fine. It has all the stuff you need for what you want on a bike ride.

Pete, I bought a Garmin from Nick a cpl yrs back and have never really used it. if you want to look at it I will sell it to you cheap. I know Nick can show you how all the stuff works. It's an etrex. Let me know

Cool! I might take you up on that. Bring it tomorrow wherever we meet up for TT. beercheers.gif

If it's cool with you I'd like to check it out first and see if it will work for what I need.

Cool! I might take you up on that. Bring it tomorrow wherever we meet up for TT. beercheers.gif

If it's cool with you I'd like to check it out first and see if it will work for what I need.

Well I may have spoke to soon. I looked in all the places it should be and have not found it yet. i will keep looking. It's pretty small so it could be anywhere in my garage. Thought I had it in the Rhino gear bags but have gone through them and cleaned out the rhino as i sold it yesterday(please delete ad) But I will continue to look around for it.

if you just want waypoints and simple ways to back track then the one i sold terry will work just great. You just mentioned you wanted topo maps and that can be a b*tch to read on that little thing. But if your just after waypoints nad keeping tabs on where you been and where you are in case the sh*t hits the fan then that one will do the trick. Also when mounting those to your bike you either need to A get the 12v hard wired connection for your bike or pack the batteries real good so they dont bounce around. I had that on my bike once and got fed up with it turning off on me. Since you have a battery you will be good in that department. The other GPS i have is waay small but works great its the Garmin ForeTrex its wrist mounted so you just glance at it like a watch but you can still set waypoints and back track with it.