Has anybody swapped their 15's to 16's on Toy hauler?

80grit

Just curious if anyone has swapped out their 15 inch tires to 16's on their 5th wheels?

I have a 41 foot 5th wheel with flipped axles and was thinking of doing it. it has the clearance.

I'd like to so I could get rid of these cheap a$$ trailer tires that always fail on me. When I bought my last set of trailer tires I told Discount Tire I wanted the best ones they make. Well those are still crap. I'd put LT truck tires on it if I had 16's. I know Jakster and a few others have gone that route and they haven't had the typical tumors they pop up right before a dune trip.

I had another one go bad. I'm in the same boat. Gonna have to deal with this tomorrow. Hating on these 15's big time.

I need to check if if I can get 16" rims with the same bolt pattern as the 15s. And Im assuming it will only add a 1 to 1 1/2 inchs to the overall height. Im already at 13' - 3 " to the top of the air conditioner.

I just got new Maxxis trailer tires on Friday.

Could have cheaper ones but my old tires were OVER 5 years old with NO problems.

They were cracking and one had a nail in it and I didn't want to push them any further.

I got Maxxis ST235/80R16 again. They're E-rated 10 ply.

Hope I have the same luck again.

R-

Just curious if anyone has swapped out their 15 inch tires to 16's on their 5th wheels?

I have a 41 foot 5th wheel with flipped axles and was thinking of doing it. it has the clearance.

Rob I have 30" to the top of the tire, and from the tire to upper wheel are I have 9 ". hope that helps..And i do have flipped axles.

Im going to order the 16" tires with wheels. Local company gave me a beat up 235-85R16 to put on just to test for clearance. Quite a bit bigger then the 15" but still lots of clearance.

post-14-0-34984300-1319506232_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-32976600-1319506245_thumb.jpg

I think a huge bennifit to running the 16's is the way the pull in the sand. They float on top way better. I think they also just tow better in general. It does however make that first step into the trailer a bit difficult after a few :drinkbeer:

• 1 year later...

Installed heavier axles on my 29' Ragin tag....7500 lb axles with 8 lug 16"....went with BFG commercial Ta's and aluminum wheels, had to lift it several inches for clearance but the tire selection is soo nice. I used the original 5000 lb axles and bulit a nice deckover 16' by 102" wide...nice for day trips! I did have to repalce the 2 steps version for the 3 steps on the RV...5'6'...short legs...LOL

• 2 months later...

You get what you pay for! I agree, the Michelins are going to be the best. Every time I've compromised for a more"affordable" tire, it's cost me more. Recently had 2 blowouts on my boat trailer, because I wanted to save money...Ended up with a fender that needs replacing :finger: . A few extra bucks for the best tires, is cheap insurance if you ask me. :thumb:

Pete is soooooooo right. Most all trailer tires and crap and made in China now. Do what he says and go with an LT tire whenever possible. Any reputable, knowledgable tire dealer will tell you the same thing. Trailer tires are junk!

I''ll also repeat something I have said before: While storring your rig, get the weight off your tires and let the air pressure down. It will help a ton!!!

And.....make sure you have enough air in your tires when you haul. Read the side of the tire and put in what they say! Usually higher than what you might think it needs!

:old:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...