Thanksgiving Weekend trip report

White Rhino

Sorry about all the multiple quotes. Nice pics Jack. It was good camping with you. (the guy parked behind you). Had a great trip and turkey dinner at the dunes

Hey Brian Good camping with you. Yes It was a short trip[ but much needed. I can not wait till the next one. Should be at least 3 days.

A measly 11 days at dumont with great weather every day! First ride for me with Pete and Lou B, Vegas Style and and Tommy who lead a great ride before the dunes got chewed up. My group showed up on Wednesday and the party started. Good food, good friends and all that goes with a terrific dune trip.

A movie company showed up yesterday and asked us to tear down our camp and move. That really sucked. We loaded up and came home instead of resetting the camp. They were shooting some stuff for Hot Wheels on the internet.

Edited by sandawg

I would have either told them to help or...HELL NO!!! There is 5K acres out there.. tell them to move!!

Capt

A measly 11 days at dumont with great weather every day! First ride for me with Pete and Lou B, Vegas Style and an older gentelman that's name escapes me. He lead a great ride before the dunes got chewed up. My group showed up on Wednesday and the party started. Good food, good friends and all that goes with a terrific dune trip.

A movie company showed up yesterday and asked us to tear down our camp and move. That really sucked. We loaded up and came home instead of resetting the camp. They were shooting some stuff for Hot Wheels on the internet.

They were all over us to help us move and even gave us a $100 bill. The bad part was that one of our group, "Rocket" had planned to stay a couple of more days but he has a 40 foot Alfa toy hauler and is party central and the tear down was just to much for him to do and then to set up again.

Their contact did screw up when he hinted that he had a permit and didnt' want to have to deal with the Rangers. I took that as a threat. Little did he know that we know all the key people from Barstow BLM with YNOT as a back up. He really backed tracked when I called him on that one. He offered us the chance to join the catered lunch for the crew but we were poutnig and just decided to leave!!!

They were all over us to help us move and even gave us a $100 bill. The bad part was that one of our group, "Rocket" had planned to stay a couple of more days but he has a 40 foot Alfa toy hauler and is party central and the tear down was just to much for him to do and then to set up again.

Their contact did screw up when he hinted that he had a permit and didnt' want to have to deal with the Rangers. I took that as a threat. Little did he know that we know all the key people from Barstow BLM with YNOT as a back up. He really backed tracked when I called him on that one. He offered us the chance to join the catered lunch for the crew but we were poutnig and just decided to leave!!!

Would have told him to Pound Sand. I'm all for being civil and such but if my camp is all set up it's going to take some splainin' to get me to move and it better not involve a threat, subtile or not. :beerpint:

ok my trip was 10 awsome days at the D! rolled in friday afternoon before thanksgiving and left sunday morning after thanksgiving. my camp changed all week. first weekend was with mrbrown sand and pete then lou b rolled in on saturday. missed a few people that have been at Thanksgiving in the past but we had a excellent dinner and had to nap off my stuffing soon after. the crowed seemed small this year and the only real action at night was the friday after tday. all my new stuff worked perfect and i christened the RZR at dumont with a fast run on virgin sand chasing the buggies. had to cut some corners and had a few pucker moments flopping over the sharp razors but it was a lot of fun. the dunes were tore up by thursday and didnt do to many runs after that but had a great time running the big shoots south of comp. partied with mike jack and paul rob and the crew friday night at comp then at the north pole. and learned i need a bigger battery and some jumper cables. but at least Jesus Saves! and fire was still warm. good to see everyone i ran into and now everything is cleaned and ready for another trip.

post-978-0-90015600-1322707242_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-82084100-1322707262_thumb.jpg

That TV crew was still there yesterday. Over by 6 i think it is. where i usually go. i had to head over to another area and almost got the Escape stuck. They had TONS of stuff out there with haulers and trucks, and cars and they had some metal fram thing setup in part of the dunes with cones around it.

I can't believe they asked anyone to move!!! what makes them think they have the right to ask people to move? and $100, i agree as above, add a 0 to that. Even with just my truck and open trailer i wouldn't move if they gave me an attitude. I would have called them on the BLM permit thing to, like it says they get what bathroom area or something. that is lame.

Would have told him to Pound Sand. I'm all for being civil and such but if my camp is all set up it's going to take some splainin' to get me to move and it better not involve a threat, subtile or not. :beerpint:

That little sticker or hanger we all have in our window is our PERMIT as well. What his money is better that yours or mine? I think not.

Once you are set up your camp area is yours. The studios film permit gives them the right to use the area, but does not give them exclusive rights to any part of the area. They can ask you to move but you are under no obligation to do so. Most of the crews I have had contact with have been very nice about ASKING us to stay out of there shots and I have had some great meals at thier mess areas for it.

ok my trip was 10 awsome days at the D! rolled in friday afternoon before thanksgiving and left sunday morning after thanksgiving. my camp changed all week. first weekend was with mrbrown sand and pete then lou b rolled in on saturday. missed a few people that have been at Thanksgiving in the past but we had a excellent dinner and had to nap off my stuffing soon after. the crowed seemed small this year and the only real action at night was the friday after tday. all my new stuff worked perfect and i christened the RZR at dumont with a fast run on virgin sand chasing the buggies. had to cut some corners and had a few pucker moments flopping over the sharp razors but it was a lot of fun. the dunes were tore up by thursday and didnt do to many runs after that but had a great time running the big shoots south of comp. partied with mike jack and paul rob and the crew friday night at comp then at the north pole. and learned i need a bigger battery and some jumper cables. but at least Jesus Saves! and fire was still warm. good to see everyone i ran into and now everything is cleaned and ready for another trip.

Steve, just a heads up the Odessy 925 fits sideways perfectly in my 2011 RZR and i would think it should fit in yours the same. Plenty of power to run lights and my in car radio set up. They are a little pricey but in these days WTF isn't?

Terry

We pulled in on Fri. morning 11-11-11. We camped with come friends who were there for turkey day. We pulled out on Tues. evening. 11-15-11. to meet some other friends at Glamis.

Had I known there were some pushy movie folks coming I might have stuck around to screw with them. They can't make you move. the B.L.M. will not make you move.They get a premit to film, but they don't have any more rights out there than you do.

A few years ago on a week prior to Thanksgiving a freind and I had our R.V. s set up in the center of about a 80' circle past the 3rd. finger and west of the cut to Comp. The "Junk Yard Wars" crew came in to film a segment of a 3 parter. They set up right at the end of thr 3rd. finger facing the Dunes. The story on the 80' circle was that in those days for some reason A.T.&T. would work right there. We had found it by way of an exhaustive search. My daughter was at the top of a transplant list and we needed 24hr. phone service. I sat and wached one of the producers walk from their camp to ours all the way trying to get out on his cell. As he aproched us he put his phone away and became all business in his attempet to move us out of that valley.I said no, he said why not and I told him. I told him that I watched him trying to get phone service as he walked over and he said he hated coming out there because of no phone service.I told him to walk to the front of my motorhome and take another shot at his phone. He was shocked at the service he could get by my coach. I told him I was not moving but his people were welcome to use my circle,of phone signal for the time they would be there. We become great friends We were offered helicoptor rides. Full acess to all catering services. souveners, T-Shirts, free run of thier machine shop truck and parts trailer. In the end when they shot the big race across the valley they came right past ourcamp and we ended up in the movie. I guess the lesson is ,don't let them push you around but it pays to make freinds .

Edited by DH1944

We pulled in on Fri. morning 11-11-11. We camped with come friends who were there for turkey day. We pulled out on Tues. evening.

11-15-11. to meet some other friends at Glamis.

Had I known there were some pushy movie folks coming I might have stuck around to screw with them. They can't make you move. the B.L.M. will not make you move.They get a premit to film, but they don't have any more rights ouy there than you do.

A few years ago on a week prior to Thanksgiving a freind and I had our R.V. s set up in the center of about a 80' circle past the 3rd. finger and west of the cut to Comp. The "Junk Yard Wars" crew came in to film a segment of a 3 parter. They set up right at the end of thr 3rd. finger facing the Dunes. The story on the 80' circle was that in those days for some reason A.T.&T. would work right there. We had found it by way of an exhaustive search. My daughter was at the top of a transplant list and we needed 24hr. phone service. I sat and wached one of the producers walk from their camp to ours all the way trying to get out on his cell. As he aproched us he put his phone away and became all business in his attempet to move us out of that valley.I said no, he said why not and I told him. I told him that I watched him trying to get phone service as he walked over and he said he hated coming out there because of no phone service.I told him to walk to the front of my motorhome and take another shot at his phone. He was shocked at the service he could get by my coach. I told him I was not moving but his people were welcome to use my circle,of phone signal for the time they would be there. We become great friends We were offered helicoptor rides. Full acess to all catering services. souveners, T-Shirts, free run of thier machine shop truck and parts trailer. In the end when they shot the big race across the valley they came right past ourcamp and we ended up in the movie. I guess the lesson is ,don't let them push you around but it pays to make freinds .

Cool story! :beercheers:

At no time did the film crew harrass us or get pushy. They just asked us if we could move with all the help they could give us. They didn't realalize how much it would take or how it would affect our weekend. We opted to move in the spirit of being decent duners. Granted the offer of the $100 was not the reason we left. It was sort of an insult to be honest. Hell we spend more that that for fuel in a week and probablly more than that for our camp for livations. The worst part of the whole thing was that Rocket and Booster had to make a trip all the way back to Orange County to take their kids back to the airport on Sunday and had just arrived back to camp on Monday noon. They had intended to stay, as I said, a couple of more days.

On a side note, I contacted BLM just to get the name of the film crew so I could contact them. I wanted to explain to them how much of a sacrafice we made. Guess I was going to try and get some sort of satisfaction from them. Blm took it upon themselves to contact the fiilm commission and tell them that they were no suppose to do what they did. tha's not what I had intended and they didn't give me the name either.

The guy from the crew did mention that they could have digitaly removed us from the short if they had to and that would cost them. And yes some jackets or tee shirts would have been a nice gesture from Hot Wheels or KTM or other sponsors.

Yes, I'm "Tee Shirt Whore" :lol:

At least it's turnmed into an interesting conversation!