1st timer

rhino995

Well I can tell you that there is no predicting the weather at Dumnt this far in advance. You can go to the weather section on this site and look at the history for Shoshone, Ca. That can give you an idea. It is usually chilly if not downright cold, but it also can be one of the nicer weekends as the air is clear and crisp. Tent camping is always a gamble any time of the year at Dumont. You might look into renting a RV with all of you pitching in it might not be to bad $$ wise. Even if you can't fit everybody in there to sleep it would always be a place you can run to if the wind should come up and keep the sand out of your meals. New Years is one of those hit and miss "big" weekends. Sometimes it's really busy and others it's almost an off weekend. Be safe, try to find someone going out who will show you the dunes and kind of take you under there wing, Dumont can hurt you in a blink of an eye. they are highly techanical dunes and can definetly put a hurt on you or put a smile on your face you never forget. I would keep an eye on the posts here about who's going out and maybe ask for a "newbie" tour. People on here are usually more than glad to give you a tour.

Terry

"Dumont can hurt you in a blink of an eye. they are highly techanical dunes and can definetly put a hurt on you or put a smile on your face you never forget."

"The one thing about Dumont is the Razor Backs, at Dumont you never want to go off straight,"

"Thanks, We are no strangers to the dunes just never been down to Dumont."

I'm quoting these because too many people don't take test rides to see how the dunes are "this time"

Depending on the recent wind direction the dunes change nearly every time you go out there. So be carefull!

Don't be scarred but be smart!!!

Winter time in the Dumont area can vary from cool and calm to cool and windy or cool and windy or rainy. So no forecast from me since the weather forecasters never get it right.

I stayed in a tent ONCE, won't be doing that again :surrender:

Enjoy and be safe!

:usa::old:

Edited by sandawg

Last year was colder than hell. Froze the pipes on the MH when I passed out.....er I meant fell asleep and forgot to turn the heater on. 22 degrees if I remember right and sometime between xmas and new year day.

If you have never been out to Dumont, take heed in what others tell you on this site, Dumont is not like any other set of dunes you'll play in. They get downright nasty and bite hard. I have been going there for years and I'm still caught by suprise. Usually one careful run when you first get there is the way to go. I know there is a lot of preaching but we see experienced duners but first time Dumont visitors get hurt all the time. Be safe out and have a blast. We'll be there.

I've done the tent thing many times, It's not too bad. The only New years I went there were a few members of this site that provided me with more than enough (And I mean MORE THAN ENOUGH) liquid refreshments that keep the cold at bay. That was the coldest it's ever been for me, But I dont remember a good chunk of it due to said refreshments.

Tenting is not bad if your ok with roughing it a little, I've always had a good time whether in a tent or hauler! Have fun.