Onan 4400 wont stay running

tatooedwhtboy

Does anybody know anything about these Onan generators? I replace the fuel filter thinking it was plugged up....NOPE not the filter. Then removed the carb for a good cleaning...NOT the carb. It will fire up for about 4 seconds then die. No power Thanksgiving weekend= not a happy camper!!!!

If it doesn't stay running on carb spray, it's NOT the carb.

It might be worth bringing it in to Johnny Walker. They looked at mine for a similar problem. It ended up being a bad coil breaking down under load. Not saying that's your problem, but they deal with these problems day in and day out. It's worth the $100 or so to diag it properly. Otherwise your just throwing parts at it like I did. Talk to Ken Allen if you do go down there and tell him DDR sent ya. He will take good care of you.

Same problem, ended up replacing the carb. Mine would run for a couple of seconds and die. i tried to clean the carb but the orifices are so small once the are clogged you are screwed. The onan people told me to just run it once a month to avoid any issues like this. I run mine for 5-10 minutes and I have not had a problem since and I had mine fixed two plus years ago.

While you in there install a shut off valve on the fuel line. That way you can close off the fuel and let the generator run itself dry and use all the fuel in the carb. Just don't have a load on the generator when you do this.

While you in there install a shut off valve on the fuel line. That way you can close off the fuel and let the generator run itself dry and use all the fuel in the carb. Just don't have a load on the generator when you do this.

...or use vise grips :redneck:

Injector/carb cleaner occationallly and gas stabilzer when sitting for a while. Haven't had a problem in 6 years! Trailer is a 98 and gen has nearlly 900 hours on it. Did the spray de carbon it last year. Change the oil and filter every season.

Edited by sandawg

• 5 weeks later...