Fuel transfer options and ?'s

aceisback

Just wondering what type of pump you guys are using to get fuel from the back of the truck and into the toys? I've got a 28GL Todd Caddy and picked up a hand pump from Harbor Freight. Doesn't really perform as would be expected and used to get fuel everywhere until it just quit working altogether. It's was the lever type and not of good quality to begin with. The caddy has the normal bung type fitting on the top so a barrel/drum pump is what I'm looking for suggestions on. Maybe even converting to a small electric pump without having to do any mods to the caddy itself.

Anybody else have one of these or have just used some inginuity to come up with a clean and efficient way to get fuel from a larger tank into an ATV tank??? Doesn't have to flow a million gallons a minute, just two or three gallons in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh yeah, and on a tight budget! lol

Thanks for any input/suggestions that you might have. Pics would be outstanding.

I'm not sure what style pump you are talking about, but I bought a hand-crank style pump from HF and used it all last season with no issues.

image_17161.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

I try and drain out any fuel in the pump when done so it dries out. If left in the barrel or with fuel in it, I think the seals go bad. It isn't actually intended for use with fuels, but it's worked bitchen for me so far.

Here is the one that I got from HF. Pretty much junk. So your hand crank one hasn't sprung any leaks yet? Everytime I pumped the handle I had fuel coming out of several areas. It was assembled properly and drained after each use so that the seals didn't go bad. Even lubed them periodically with milspec gasket lube.

May have to give the one you have a look.

Anybody else?

http://www.harborfre...-pump-3352.html

post-28-0-57605200-1323457513_thumb.jpg

I know you can buy a hand pump that by moving the handle up and down it will build pressure and usually just start a prime and it will siphon till you relaease pressure. They are cheap but do the job. I bought an air powered pump from outback extreme a few years ago and it is fantastic. You hook up an air compressor and then pressureize the tank and pull the handle on the gas line. Unfortunety due to CARB reg's in CA. they don't sell them anymore but I did call them and they will try to find out where they might be able to be purchased from. I can take pictures of mine and I think with a little knowledge and a trip to a couple of home depot and hose compamanies you could make one. I bought mine for less than $100.00. ou would need to find a 55 gallon bung firring with a air pressure release and a line in and one out. The rest of the stuff you should find fairly easily. When thye contact me I will let you know.

I have one from Harbor Frieght that is like that and was I think 75 bucks... I think.

Capt

I know you can buy a hand pump that by moving the handle up and down it will build pressure and usually just start a prime and it will siphon till you relaease pressure. They are cheap but do the job. I bought an air powered pump from outback extreme a few years ago and it is fantastic. You hook up an air compressor and then pressureize the tank and pull the handle on the gas line. Unfortunety due to CARB reg's in CA. they don't sell them anymore but I did call them and they will try to find out where they might be able to be purchased from. I can take pictures of mine and I think with a little knowledge and a trip to a couple of home depot and hose compamanies you could make one. I bought mine for less than $100.00. ou would need to find a 55 gallon bung firring with a air pressure release and a line in and one out. The rest of the stuff you should find fairly easily. When thye contact me I will let you know.

I have that same pump in my race fuel barrel in the shop and yep its a leakin pig, so I would look for a batt operated one that will be similar to the one in your toyhauler when you pump the gas out of the holding tank.

I bought a Holley red electric pump for my trailer. It is currently putting out about 6 gal/ min.... Plenty fast!

I bought a 50 air hose and some fittings, and I can fuel the rail, the toys, and even the genny at the front of my bus , from the tank in the middle of my box trl. It was so worth the time it took!

Granted, an air hose isn't going to hold up to the fuel, but for ten bucks, I can get a new hose every couple of years.

Holley red pump was something like $75... Maybe chech out summit racing for one.

I'm not sure what style pump you are talking about, but I bought a hand-crank style pump from HF and used it all last season with no issues.

image_17161.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

I try and drain out any fuel in the pump when done so it dries out. If left in the barrel or with fuel in it, I think the seals go bad. It isn't actually intended for use with fuels, but it's worked bitchen for me so far.

I actually got one of these to bind up. Broke the handle right off. These pumps need the lubricity of the oil they're designed for.. They'll work for a while I'm sure, but only a while

I have had the above pump for over 10 years now.I bought it at HF.It pumps a 5 gallon can in about 20-30 seconds but you can spin it slower to get fuel slower than that.

Hey Bert, did you have to disassemble, clean, and lube it periodically to get it to last that long? I know preventative and routine maintenance go a long way in making things last but the lever type one that I showed is not made well.

I think I will give the one you and Pete have a shot and just hope it last longer than the other one. If not I'll go electric in the future. Still open to other options and I failed to mention in the first post that I use the caddy for AVgas. This may have contributed to the short life but I really don't think so as I did maintain it properly.