Tank sensors not working

Reddog

They make a sensor cleaner that you can try it has a 50% chance of working. Otherwise there is a "Pinned "subject on Glamis dunes.com under rv's that has a whole section on cleaning and trying to get your sensors to work. It involves Calgon bath soap, 20 lbs of ice and some other tricks. I think once the sensors get covered in crap they stay that way but that thread at least gives you some options to try.

Terry

• 1 month later...

I bought a new to me WW TH a while back, and i can't seem to get the black/grey tank sensors to work. They show empty all the time, even when full. I have cleaned the shiat out of the tanks, checked the wires, etc.

Not sure what others do and works, but what worked for me was a good flush. Not just a fill and drain, but filling up both tanks to the top then letting it sit full for a couple of days. Then drain it all and flush again. Be sure to put the blue stuff in the blk tank while letting it sit for a couple of days. Worked for me!

• 5 months later...

I used to work on RV's for a living at Beaydary RV, here in Tucson.

You can test the wires that go to each sensor position to see if it's the sensors, or the monitor panel.

If it turns out to be the sensors, once they get to the point your talking about, they're done. You can buy new sensors for fairly cheap. Find where yours are, and how many. When you have the new ones, drill the proper sized hole about 3-4 inches to the left or right of the factory ones, and install them by the instructions. After they're all installed, transfer each wire, one at a time to avoid confusion, to the new ones.

I also used to work on Motorhomes, and you can also buy a flush system that sprays water accross the tanks to help clean them. I think it's more of a maintenance thing than a fix thing. Big Block has the right fix for you, if you can't get them cleaned. It's a pretty simple fix, just have to make sure you silicone them good.

Okay, so how do you go about checking the wires? Nothing but the pump light is working on my panel. The level indicators started acting up a couple of years ago then eventualy went dark. Bought a new panel and still nothing but the pump light. Had it long enough to kind of know the levels but when friends are tenting it and using my facilities I'd kind of like to be able to keep an eye on atleast the fresh tank.

I have unhooked all of the sensor wires and cleaned the connnections but problem persists.

• 1 month later...

You should have a ground wire for the sensors, should be at the bottom of the tank. If you jumper from each one of the sensors to the ground, it should light up inside on the monitor panel. If it doesn't light up, you've got a wiring problem, since you said you swapped out the monitor panel. I just have to ask, did you hook up the wires on the back of the panel back to original positions?

If you have a long enough jumper wire, you could check continuity of the wires from the tank to the panel. That can be a real pain tho. I wish I was closer, we would have this fixed in a couple hours. Attack it in a logical manner, no offense is intended by that either. Find where you have power, and where it stops. It's kinda like a pipe that is at a 45 degree angle, you know you have water at the top, but there is none at the bottom, find the leak, and you'll fix the problem...

edit to add:

Clean the sensors, not the wires. To clean the sensors there is a few different ways: a few bags of ice down the toilet and drive around for a while. You can also use a chemical inside the tank. so cleaning the wires was not really what I was suggesting.

I think you've got a wire problem now. debtanker@msn.com is my email, and I get it on my phone too, so that's a quick way to get in touch

Edited by BigBlockTank