MLK weekend trip

Runnin A Fever

We're planning a trip MLK weekend, anyone else going? How hard packed is the area between restrooms 12 and 9? We usually camp south of 10 by the dune finger, how does the two areas compare? The people we are going with prefer out past 12 I just want to see what I'm in for.

How busy is it this weekend, I've not been there on MLK before.

Thanks and post up if your going to be out there, always looking to meet up with new folks.

MLK is a very unstable holiday weekend as far as attendance. Some years it has been heavy others it has been almost an off weekend. I haven't gotten a report of how crowded or un-crowded new Years was, that is usualyy a good indicator of the MLK weekend. Keep in mind this last halloween weekend was one of the busiest in several years yet I thought Thanksgiving was about 60% of normal. So to cut to the bottom line, don't worry about the amount of people as you cannot control it and you can have fun in spite of the turn-out. It's nice if it's a light weekend you can get in some fast hard rides if that's what your into and even if it's busy you can always find areas for the kids to ride. So it looks like I will be making that weekend and as to the area between bathroom's 12 vs. 9 is that if you come further into the road past 12 almost to #10 and make a left you can find hard ridges out almost all the way to 9. You wll always have one or two dips to go through but just goose it a little if you see tracks showing soft sand. It's been dry so I usually give it a little more steam through the lower parts just to be on the safe side.

You will find in my opinion a large difference most of the time between camping near any of the fingers and camping back near 9 or 12. It's usually less dust(espically if everybody obeys the camp speed limit) and less noise and BS. I am always near #9 and your more than welcome to stop by and say hi, catch a ride or have a chat. Look for awhite 40' Alfa M/H with a long white trailer and a red sand car. that would be us.

Terry :ynot:

I will be going on Friday and head back on Sunday. Black and Brown moho with white cargo trailer and XP 900 to ride. I will be parked between 6 and 5. If you want to see some bad a$$ RC cars and trucks stop by and I will let you drive them. They are very fast. I have raced a few raptor 700 up banchee hill and beat them until they hit there 4th gear.

i am dying to go again, Last time was November, and I need to test out the new truck. :)

I just want to make sure the Dunes won't be too ripped up. Last time I went was the Tuesday after Turkey day, and that was a HUGE mistake.

Try and predict the weather or condition of dunes weeks ahead..........good luck! :dunno:

:usa::old:

I will be going on Friday and head back on Sunday. Black and Brown moho with white cargo trailer and XP 900 to ride. I will be parked between 6 and 5. If you want to see some bad a$$ RC cars and trucks stop by and I will let you drive them. They are very fast. I have raced a few raptor 700 up banchee hill and beat them until they hit there 4th gear.

Sorry to be a smart a$$ but if they beat you when they hit 4th gear doesn't that mean that you lose? Just saying.

The dunes were so ripped up when we were there after Turkey day we really couldn't even ride. Combined with the battery dying, IMO from being bounced to death, and it was overall a wasted trip for me. Since i day trip, i go simply to ride. I don't want to be around for the busy times as I just don't feel safe and that makes it harder to just have fun.

one of these days i will be coming down and crash a camp for a weekend though.

Last weekend, last year, Halloween, it's all good. You make it your own and there is ALWAYS smooth spots, just the adventure to go and find them is the fun part. It does not matter, you got good friend, food, NEW friends and some time away from the normal hustle and bustle of what we call our Normal lives, You will have fun. Most of all, be safe!!!

MLK is a very unstable holiday weekend as far as attendance. Some years it has been heavy others it has been almost an off weekend. I haven't gotten a report of how crowded or un-crowded new Years was, that is usualyy a good indicator of the MLK weekend. Keep in mind this last halloween weekend was one of the busiest in several years yet I thought Thanksgiving was about 60% of normal. So to cut to the bottom line, don't worry about the amount of people as you cannot control it and you can have fun in spite of the turn-out. It's nice if it's a light weekend you can get in some fast hard rides if that's what your into and even if it's busy you can always find areas for the kids to ride. So it looks like I will be making that weekend and as to the area between bathroom's 12 vs. 9 is that if you come further into the road past 12 almost to #10 and make a left you can find hard ridges out almost all the way to 9. You wll always have one or two dips to go through but just goose it a little if you see tracks showing soft sand. It's been dry so I usually give it a little more steam through the lower parts just to be on the safe side.

You will find in my opinion a large difference most of the time between camping near any of the fingers and camping back near 9 or 12. It's usually less dust(espically if everybody obeys the camp speed limit) and less noise and BS. I am always near #9 and your more than welcome to stop by and say hi, catch a ride or have a chat. Look for awhite 40' Alfa M/H with a long white trailer and a red sand car. that would be us.

Terry :ynot:

Terry,

Thanks for the info on the ridges, I'll check out the area between 12 and 10. I know the ridges your talking about, I try to look for them on the south side of the road too, sometimes I find them. I'll definately look for you out by 9 and swing by. I'm in a maroon lowered GMC dullie (1991) with a 38 foot Raptor 5th wheel and will be on my red banshee. Stop by if you see us first.

Good to hear about less dust and BS, I've got two your girls that ride and a wife I'm still teaching to ride so less traffic is good.

See you out there. David.

I was going to leave my Revo home but maybe I'll bring it out. What are you running, Bajas? We are looking into getting an XP 900 as we now have kids and they are not up to the task of dunning yet. How do you like it? I'll swing by and say hello.

Thanks. David.

The dunes were so ripped up when we were there after Turkey day we really couldn't even ride. Combined with the battery dying, IMO from being bounced to death, and it was overall a wasted trip for me. Since i day trip, i go simply to ride. I don't want to be around for the busy times as I just don't feel safe and that makes it harder to just have fun.

one of these days i will be coming down and crash a camp for a weekend though.

Adam, I told you you were always welcome at our camp. We would even have room in the trailer for an air bed and a sleeping bag. I have both. Usually the M/H is full but there is room in there and it can be a little cold but it's better than sleeping in a truck ot=r tent. Besides my car likes the company:) Seriousilly anytime your more than welcome, just let me know. We are in for MLK Friday afternoon till Monday.

Adam, I told you you were always welcome at our camp. We would even have room in the trailer for an air bed and a sleeping bag. I have both. Usually the M/H is full but there is room in there and it can be a little cold but it's better than sleeping in a truck ot=r tent. Besides my car likes the company:) Seriousilly anytime your more than welcome, just let me know. We are in for MLK Friday afternoon till Monday.

Terry i have haven't forgotten your offer, just looking for the right weekend. this might be a good one. I have a gig on the 13th, but be out after that. You have been going on the busy weekends, and now for the borken record, I just don't want to be out on a busy weekend. i like smooth dunes, and less stress, and less dumb people/drunks. Do you have a cell out there? I think there would be room to sleep solo in the back of my new truck, it's the 4 door super crew F150... hmmm.

Hoping we'll be there for MLK weekend. :)

I have Friday off, so if we did get to roll out it would be Thurs through Sunday. Back to work on Monday.

If I get my butt in gear, we will be there late Friday night till Monday ... I already made plans to camp with my girl-friend ... You are always welcome to come join us.

Hope Mother Nature steps up and cleans the dunes ... New Years, the dunes were beat to crap - I think my quad needs new paddles and bolts! and my body needs a message - lol -

If I get my butt in gear, we will be there late Friday night till Monday ... I already made plans to camp with my girl-friend ... You are always welcome to come join us.

Hope Mother Nature steps up and cleans the dunes ... New Years, the dunes were beat to crap - I think my quad needs new paddles and bolts! and my body needs a message - lol -

You camping vendor row? I really don't want to be at vendor row.. soo rocky for Shasta feet. I thought you were camping with us? I am confused, but that's nothing new :laughing:

No matter, we'll find eachother.

I maybe out Thursday solo.

Terry i have haven't forgotten your offer, just looking for the right weekend. this might be a good one. I have a gig on the 13th, but be out after that. You have been going on the busy weekends, and now for the broken record, I just don't want to be out on a busy weekend. i like smooth dunes, and less stress, and less dumb people/drunks. Do you have a cell out there? I think there would be room to sleep solo in the back of my new truck, it's the 4 door super crew F150... hmmm.

Adam, from what I hear the new years weekend crowd was pretty small and I am expecting it to tbe the same MLK weekend. Winds are supposed to blow this weekend so it should smooth them out just in time for us to destroy them again. I have cell cervice at Dumont and have it near me most of the time except when I am on a run then it is in a ziplock tucked away to protect it from that mean old sand. If you don't have my cell # PM me and I will get it to you. I guarantee an air bed inside a trailer will be way more comfy tham the back of your truck(been there done that!) Plus you can have access to a shower and the whole M/H for everything else. My bet is MLK weekend is going to be great and I am going come hell or highwater, well unless the M/H isn't done. But I was there today with the final parts delivery and they want it out of there as bad as I want it back. Let me know?

Terry

Ynot I will show you what an erevo is.

No need, I googled it. those RC cars are fun and fast but you can't tell me that it's the same as driving or riding. It is something else to a the dunes and I am all for it but it would never be the same to me. Just my humble opinion. But I will say that if you can stay with a raptor till 4th it's pretty impressive:)

Terry