My rant about a stupid, unnecessary park!

dunefreak

This has been bugging me for months and it has me furious now. :rant:

Down the street from me (Horizon/ Horizon Ridge) used to be part of a really cool trail system that snaked up the back side of Black Mountain. I used to ride and rock crawl my Grizzly 4x4 up there through some really cool, challenging trails and sit on a overlook that was almost as high as the top of the mountain itself. You could even ride over towards McDonald Ranch & Anthem on those trails.

Then...they decided to completely remove a small mountain at that corner and build a shopping center. Retarded...but ok whatever. I'm over it.

Now...they have spent probably hundreds of thousands (if not, maybe a million or more) on building a park with perfectly groomed trails for people to walk on. This is what has me PO'd. What's the point? It's for people to get out and enjoy nature right? Check it out...that's not nature! The trails are smoother than some paved roads in Vegas and the surrounding rocks and dirt are spray painted to look "natural" and blend in. There were plenty of old trails there already but now they have cut into the natural beauty of the mountain and scarred it for life. Jungle gyms, tennis courts and basketballs courts I can see being $$ well spent as long as a damn mountain doesn't have to be removed to put them there, but manicured trails that cost tons of money in labor and spray paint to make just boils my blood. There all these damn environmentalists trying to take away our land that we ride on and crap like this is "ok".

:rant:

2012-01-21_12-28-45_343.jpg

2012-01-21_12-28-58_366.jpg

2012-01-21_12-29-48_890.jpg

2012-01-21_12-29-56_296.jpg

2012-01-21_12-31-48_29.jpg

Wow real gorgeous huh? Look at the mountains just sliced in half.

This one for a small fenced off grass field...

2012-01-21_12-33-21_824.jpg

And this one you can see where it was chopped off for the CVS to the right of this photo...

2012-01-21_12-33-45_625.jpg

Well I agree with you Pete and i thought it was a complete waste of money and cutting away the mountain. I still believe it but the park seems to get a lot of use. Skate park is always busy and I must admit I have used the dog parks several times. Would I have preferred that they would have left it alone but at least it is getting used and I guess that can justify the means. You and I know that you can't or couldn't trail ride with quads or M/C anymore since the great "Dust Law" was adopted by Clark County so it doesn't really that the trails are groomed. I actually saw a family way up on the top of the hill the other day which i guarantee the little ones would have not made the walk or ride in the carriage without the groomed trails. But painting the rocks seems like a little overkill. Kinda like the iron horses etc on the freeways. It's just a road not a sightseeing tour for kripes sakeThat is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. Or should we thank our illustrious leader for all the "jobs" it created?

Terry

Edited by ynot
  • Like 1

I dont agree with the cutting the mountain away, There are plenty of other places that a parking lot could have been graded. As for the walking trails, its a catch 22 for me. I say leave it natural and if you cant handle the terrain then stay off of it, but on the other hand, me and the wife and kids really enjoy Exploration Park in Mountains Edge and the trails they have going up the mountain there. I guess what im trying to say is leave the terrain as natural as it can be but make it accessible for the little ones to enjoy too. As for the STUPID metal horses on the freeway, I want to know how much those cost and why didnt we put that $ into the education system. CRAZY i tell you!!!!

i wouldn't thank anyone for the jobs created. It didn't employ actual Americans anyway.

Good point, and it cost probably more than hundreds of thousands of dollars. I would guess millions! Land development is one of the largest costs in any part of construction. Utilities, grading, and the movement of dirt is outrageous in cost. Considering it was a city or government contract it was probably way over bid anyways with +100% proffit margins. Bummer about one of your favorite local riding areas Pete.

i wouldn't thank anyone for the jobs created. It didn't employ actual Americans anyway.

Trust me I now there were no jobs created but was just trying to make a point about our great leader and his "change" policies. Or lack there-of!

check out this link: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/dec/28/tom-coburns-wastebook-targets-three-nevada-project/

I agree that the stupid metal horses etc...are a waste of money but it looks like it was mandated in order to get the federal money to start with.

"The projects, which included landscaping with native plants and boulders, were managed by Clark County and were paid for through the Federal Surface Transportation Enhancement Fund, which mandates that the money be used mostly for aesthetic improvement"

they make it the "rule" then get pissed when you abide by it....don't make any sense

• Like 1

We are seeing that federal money on roadside projects as well, here in SoCal. Mostly noticing a lot of hard scape and palm trees along the freeway interchanges and off ramps. In the dairy lands of Chino, we have seen community parks with soccer fields and playland/swingsets( which are expensive, like 200k alone) going up less than a mile apart, scattered throughout the developments. To me, that just seems like a land grab, but what do I know.

My beef is the money! Land here is going for 300-400k an acre. Not just that, but then you have development costs, then you have to pay a team of.....americans...to maintain those grounds for the rest of our, and our kid's lives. The scope of the financial implications is HUGE! Millions and millions. All of this though, when american families are struggling to feed their kids. Our government has lost touch with reality! Unfortunetly, "we" vote these morons in, because we don't pay attention to the details, or politics for that matter.

Everybody can see the benefits from these projects, but when do we consider the cost? What a slap in the face to the hard working, tax paying, american people :rant:

Sorry to hear Pete. Maybe get one of those electric KTMs and "double ninja" it up :ninja::whistle::laughing:

• Like 1

Our government has lost touch with reality! Unfortunetly, "we" vote these morons in, because we don't pay attention to the details, or politics for that matter.

Just wanted to emphisize your wise words right there my friend!

• Like 1

I understand how you guys feel. I remember (before they closed the desert off) we used to 4x4 all over the place out the. Even climbed to the top of one of those mountains, where the park is now, up a quad trail in a Blazer. Used to use all the dirt roads where your house is now Pete as a way to get out there. Then they started to build, and build, and build. Took it all away. :shake: Some of the most amazing times of my life were spend out there in them there hills. Even have pic’s to prove it. But alas, no more. So they build the park! Well, we couldn’t go out there in motorized vehicles anyway. With that said, what the Hell. Might as well do something with the land and give the state yet another way to waste our money. :finger: I guess people feel the need to feel like they have a safe place to stroll and take their little mutes. I was really, really pissed when they started build all those houses and shut us out of the desert. But what really pisses me off is the fact the people go out there anyway, dump their trash. One dude and his drunken buddies let of a bomb (or something that sounded like one) :blah: :blah: :blah: Anyway, I do feel your pain Pete.