How do you afford the dunes

CaddysNTattoos

So heres my question pretty simple, I've been going to the dunes for about 8 years now, things have changed I went from being single with one banshee to having a wife a son with two banshees a 20ft trailer and 4 seat rhino. Heres the kicker, how will I ever be able to buy a toyhauler sandrail and truck. I mean i do pretty well on income me and my wife both work and together i think were around 80k annually easy but is there something I'm missing here because I can't see how everyone is affording the toyhauler sandrail and diesel.Please give me some insight!!!!

Buy used let others take the depreciation. I am the only money maker with wife 3 kids. 22-10&8. It can get expensive. The dunes are only one of many hobbies. I can say we all want new and better toys but stay in your limits and enjoy while you can. Just remember the more you make the more you spend. Dune within your limits

Some can afford it right off the bat. Some of us had to focus on saving for it and upgrading over time (trust me, it KILLS me that I don't have a long travel rail yet. I just promised the wife I would focus $ on the house for a little). Sounds like you're already on the way though.

Easy....be happy with what you have, 99% of the population has never seen dunes before. We get to enjoy them regularly. Im not weathy by any means, but i have worked for my chit. Im content with what i have. Could i use a new long travel?, Yes who couldnt. Can i afford one? Yes but then i wouldnt live a comfortable lifestyle.

The moral to all of this is, somebody is always gonna have a faster car, bigger hauler, and even a diesel. But the true question is........are you happy? Cause I know i am!

Ok thats my words of wisdom for today. hahahahaha

^^^wise words there!

I'm a single income family of 5, and my income is quite a bit below what you stated. I have a lot of toys, and it perplexes a lot of people. I had a neighbor ask if I hit the lottery once; but no. :( I try to live below my means. I don't live in a half million dollar home. I don't pay interest on anything...if I can help it. We don't go out to eat but a couple times a week; pack my lunch for work, don't buy $5 coffee everyday, etc.etc.etc. Basically, I keep a tight grip on my finances, so I can save it up and blow it on toys for my family and I; and although this isn't really the forum for it, I tithe regularly, and proportionally, and I believe God has taken care of all my needs and then some, because of it. There is a lot of financial advise out there; but I went with a program called crown financial ministries. Basic stuff, like pay down debt, save for a rainy day, etc.

I've been duning for 16 years now. Used to be me, my cr250, and a pickup bed with a sleeping bag. A whole lot cheaper then :undecided: , but life throws surprises, doesn't it? It's all about how you prioritze. You'd be surprised what you can accopmlish with just a little determination. :thumb:

I think the truth to a lot of people is they finance....How can there be so many high dollar sand cars out there......people spend more than what they have...I do sometimes, but it gets payed off in a mo or two.....but I dont buy 80,000$ sand buggies

Trading up, Been duning for 20 years. Started off on a 110 ATC back in the day. Slept in a tent yada yada.........

Bought toys and traded up and had to invest a little more each time to upgrade. By no means am I a baller out there but I worked for what I have and own them outright.

Some people did the refi-thing and borrowed against their homes, and today you are seeing them for sale.

Patience grasshopper and one day you will have the things you desire. But for now just enjoy what you have. If your smiling out in the dunes then your doing ok!

• Like 1

My rail is paid for and wasnt financed...I invested and made money and when the economy tanked I was fortunate enough to still have everything but the 5er...

Capt

I think the truth to a lot of people is they finance....How can there be so many high dollar sand cars out there......people spend more than what they have...I do sometimes, but it gets payed off in a mo or two.....but I dont buy 80,000$ sand buggies

Well I am older than most on this site so I can tell you that I got bit by the sand bug in 1975. Other than a very few years I have always been at the dunes.I started with a CJ5 and a tent and moved up as I could. Now days I have a great wife who has a great job and allows me to spend doe on fuel, repairs and thank god insurance:). I only have the motorhome financed and when I bought my current trailer I had a bigger one and traded down and paid cash for it. I have never financed a "toy" but the motorhome is financed and is also used as a write off for a second home (toyhaulers etc.also qualify for that also as interest paid out). My car was bought cash at the height of the market and the urge to do make changes has come and gone. I love my car, it saved my life and my passanger's life on friday and it does everything I have ever asked of it.If I had a "do-over" I would only change the engine type to a LS motor and I woud want a higher roll cage so I could wear a helmet. I have always worried that my head might hit the roll cage as I am not a small person and I just was concerned about belt stretch etc. Friday I found out that it is not an issue as I put the car on it's lid and side and it just left me hanging like a cockroach in my seat and my passanger whIo was on the down side was about half buried in sand but his wrist restraint did it's job and this was his first ride and is going to be a hell of a memory for the rest of his life. He is a good sport and I am so thankful that Alumicraft builds a strong car. He has some GO-Pro video that I am sure he will be posting that was taken from the camera on the roof facing backwards. It shows the crash.Any way back to the subject of money, I am a duner it's what I think about it's what I do for fun and if I am not at the dunes I am getting ready to go. Movies,out to eat in expensive resturants just don't happen. I am a lucky man who has a wife who not only supports my habit but understands it(most of the time) I can only advise you when it comesto buying toys is save your money buy used if you can and take your time to get not only what you need now but what you may grow into in the future.

Terry

We do pretty good but like Terry, we are older than some, our kids are grown & gone so it's just Charlie & I. He is worse than 5 kids though. We traded up every couple years which turned out to be a good thing, he is now living in our hauler in Northern Nevada for work gotta go where the money is. Down side, no dunes for the near future. We used to go 7 out of 8 weeks just because we could. Life changes is all. ALSO I'm extremely tight with money, buy only what I need not want. I like to have stashes. Hubby knows it's there just not where. Save where and when you can. Buy only what you need save the rest, then you'll have the $$$$$ for what you truely want.

We are DINKs (dual income, no kids). Almost everything we had was paid for until recently. We traded in our trailer for a 5th wheel. It is much easier to tow. Having good credt really helps when we do have to finance stuff. :)

Pretty much the same for me as most already mentioned. I have a diesel, big toyhauler, sandcar, bikes, etc. The only thing I owe on now is the hauler, but that's getting down there too. I started out small....just a dirtbike and a pickup and worked my way up from there and payed things off as I went. I put dune trips ahead of other luxuries in life because it's what love to do. Some people make other things a priority and treat duning as a secondary or occasional thing. It's an all or nothing sport if you want to have it all (the hauler, sandcar, multiple toys, etc) and spend an entire weekend out there at least once a month). Otherwise it's just too expensive to have the stuff just sit in the garage and suck you dry.

Same with us we own everything out right. We had a nicer big hauler and downsized to get rid of the payment. Now we have to take two vehicles, but I'll take the $40 in gas for my truck over the hauler monthly payment. We don't buy a bunch of special food, we decided a couple years ago to ride more and drink less.

And we live, eat, breathe dunes. Thankfully I found a guy who feels the same way.

We don't do anything else, except the special occasions, birthday, anniversary, life mile stones.

Some day I would like a rzr, these :old: bones are getting a bit tired, but I won't go into debt for one either :) I am happy and grateful for what I have and cherish every minute I get to be out in the sandbox.

Edited by sand chick

My old VW rail goes fast enough to hurt me if I weren't carefull. My old Toy Hauler is just big enough to haul my rail and sleep and eat in or haul the Rhino if I choose to. My truck is paid for.. Everything is paid for and bought prior to retirement. I am considering buying a new truck and a nicer 5th wheel. I might just finance it and pay with my small pension check I get each month and live solely on my Soc Sec. if I can find a dealer to do a dual deal. My retirement goes to the wife to pay for household stuff. I am also able to save some each month for a newer long travel rail. That could happen in the next 3 to 4 years. Patience and planning are the key. If I live long enough to get the rail I only hope I can still get into a rail!! :rolleyes:

i just bought my new truck, but was towing with a newer Escape for over a year. I still don't have a toy hauler or anyway to stay out at the dunes, not even a tent. I don't want to tent it really. Getting a Toy Hauler is an option, but I have to store it somewhere and make the payment. This year I paid off one of the quads, and am focusing on the other one and that will have to do for now.

I don't spend money on much else. Like some others, i don't go out, don't spend money on coffee or smoking or drinking, we rarely eat out, and watch other expenses closely to make sure we don't waste money.

I was lucky enough to make friends with someone willing to open his motorhome with a place for me to stay, and great food. Great acts of kindness from fellow duners will have to help me get through till i can finally get a toy hauler. If I have a good year, i may be able to do it by next season.

• Like 1

Seems to be lots of us "older/wiser" types on here! My trick was to be patient and save, the lack of pay in the Marines taught me that. Got to go lots of cool places but to really see them I had to set aside funds to be able to enjoy them. Did a few years of duning with an F-150, utility trailer, and tent. After doing some saving I picked up a four year old F-350 PSD, four year old Thor Wanderer Wagon, and was able to never look back on the old tent days. Although they are some very fond memories. Just the older I get the more I enjoy having a warm bed, or cool, a hot shower, my own non-graffiti'd shitter, and a kitchen.

Have owned nine DS 650's over the years and still have five, two Polaris Trailblazers, a Suzuki RM80, a Honda CRF150, and have purchased and ownded all of those along with the hauler and PSD without a penny of interest. Have to be willing to be budget conscious and not eat out four times a week or run out to see the newest release. Prioritize and don't finance. Own your own stuff, don't let the bank do it. I know very few people that finance toys, seems to be a younger generation thing. If you can't pay cash you shouldn't have it. Not speaking of your primary residence of course, but by all means if you can paycash for your home, do so.

Might be selling all the toys? Husband too if he isn't careful. I explain the difference between what you need VS. what you want~ He says" I NEED IT CAUSE THAT'S WHAT I WANT" (jackass) He has a bug up his butt now, wanting a "ROCKET" car. (Thanks Bob & Caroline) Maybe if I keep my mouth shut he'll forget about it? Will wait and see what happens now ~

I too worked my way up buying and selling rails (11) and rv's, that was an option until a few years ago and the economy has put an end to that for a while. Now is a good time to acquire used rv's / rails / trucks etc. My advice would be to buy right, talk to people and get exactly what you want and get it right the first time. Life is short and when it's all slowing down the memories you create now when you are young will be priceless. If you buy right, put some cash down and are right side up from the start it takes a lot of the stress away. Work hard in the summer to save a little money to play with in the winter as well. Cheers, see you in the dunes! :thumb:

One of the tricks mentioned was SO right, study what your desires are, and only buy once.

My wife and I are older, top of our earning game, kids grown and gone. I can not imagine trying to support a dune habit when I had young un's at home. Not with a small weekend at dumont running $200 just for fuel, not even getting to the beer, extra food and at least one trip down vendor row.

You will get there, just do not let your dune addiction over ride your common sense. Family first, take care of the kids and mama, the dunes will be there when you're ready.

John

Might be selling all the toys? Husband too if he isn't careful. I explain the difference between what you need VS. what you want~ He says" I NEED IT CAUSE THAT'S WHAT I WANT" (jackass) He has a bug up his butt now, wanting a "ROCKET" car. (Thanks Bob & Caroline) Maybe if I keep my mouth shut he'll forget about it? Will wait and see what happens now ~

What is this Rocket Car that you speak of?

We started with driving our jeeps to the dunes playing and driving home. Tent camping with two kids. Found deals on broken toys that the husband could fix. Bought and sold several and made a little on each one and moved up slowly. It has been 10 long years and only got the toy hauler last year. "loving it". Husband bought our first rail last year VW two seater need work but will be fun when it is fixed. It takes time and sometimes we had to skip trips to save for the next one, or to fix a toy or two. We are finally ready "except the rail" lol. Still got the other toys to play with.