1.26 - 1.29 trip

Adam @ GTP Off Road

So as many know I have been a day tripper for a little while and finally had a chance to get out a group for a stay. Terry was kind enough to open his motorhome up and was a great host. FOOD WAS AWESOME!!

NOTE: Sit back with a beer or something this might be pretty long.

Thursday 1.26

Got to the dunes about 3pm i think. Got unloaded and asked Terry, "So do you guys ride the first day or just set-up." i guess he took the hint i was read to go. Terry jumped in his RZR-S, His friend Ken was on a YFZ450, and i was on my Raptor 700. Now keep in mind i have limited time on the dunes and never been on a ride with experienced duners. Terry goes running up the dunes straight for a nice sharp razor. THANKS TERRY. I am grabbing gears holding on and was keeping up good enough. Ken is an older guy but HOLLY CRAP that guy can RIDE. Seriously. Got in a short ride and back to camp. Time for a nice steak. and some gas on the fire.

Friday 1.27

This was a very interesting day. Never riden in any sand car before, and Terry's is (was..lol) pretty nice. So morning ride was in the passenger seat. Nice run around, and man that thing is FAST. headed to North Pole, grab a water, Back in the car to head back for lunch. We made it about 5 minutes before Terry decided to test the ROLL CAGE on the Alumicraft. I do have a video but I am currently transfering to my desktop so look for the video in a seperate thread with more details. I do wish I had put the second Go-Pro on the car.

After lunch we go for another ride, this time i decided to take my chances on my own, on the Raptor. Terry lead in the RZR with Ken along as well. Another fast run, and those damn Razorbacks getting me. I was getting used to it though. It was getting a little windy as well. I also have to say i was then realizing what people were talking about when they say a fast run and was starting to like them. I was missing not hitting any jumps though. That was the last run, back to camp to wait for Terry's Family to get in.

Saturday 1.28

Since i was missing jumping i decided to head out solo and mess with my Go-pro before eveyone else was ready. Found out my Go-pro doesn't like working on other spots on the bike and would freeze up. Got in some good jumps so back to camp. Nothing much else just some runs, back to camp to wait for Mark to show up.

Sunday 1.29

Today, wow, lots of stuff today. Up and ready and going for a ride. Got a little group of quads and went on a run. Terry's Grandson is a great young rider and led part of a good run. Found a little jump to play on for a bit. Others saw a couple of the sand trucks they wanted to check out so we headed out to find them. Saw them sitting at North Pole. they went out to head back with a pretty big group, 2 trucks, 1 car, several RZRs and we followed. As we are riding along i came around a dune to see a RZR from the group on it's side. I was at the tail so our other 2 quads stopped and one rzr behind the wreck stopped. the rest of the group never came back. wow. they took a pretty good hit, (i have it on video but need to zoom it in) Looked like he just slipped the back end going up a little hill with a bit of a lip, and that was enough to roll it. First land was on the drivers side roll cage and it was pretty tweeked. Roof was off, shattered half windshield, and cracked the hood. Along with the drivers head. The RZR ended up on the passenger side, (something i was familar with). Passenger got out, and we tipped the RZR back to the wheels with the driver inside. Not really sure why he was bleeding could have been the roll cage or the plastic windscreen. If you have one, I would seriously consider taking it off cause wow, might as well have been razor blades. Got the driver taken care of, the passenger was very good at handling the situation. the RZR was drivable with just a flat for mechanical damage. those stock roll cages SUCK. if you are duning with the stock cage, i hope you are looking at changing that out. Seriously.

Once they take off, we do as well, crest a couple of dunes to find the 2 sand trucks sitting on a flat by Talladega. Another RZR was there and apparently had rolled as well. must have been with in a minute of the one we were at. The second RZR had a custom roll cage and only had a flat right rear tire, driver was walking around and seemed ok. we told them about the other accident as they didn't know. One of the guys jumped in his truck and went to find them. We also took off as well. That is crazy though, 2 accidents from the same group within minutes.

We had one last ride after some lunch, loaded and back to reality.

overall it was a great weekend, i met several other guys from this site as well. All were great, couple went on one of our rides. Looking forward to the next time out. I am hooked more then ever. some videos to come once this transfer is done and i can use the editing porgram.

This sounds like a crash course in a Dumont off weekend. I am glad to hear no one got hurt and everyone made it home safely. Good times for sure and this is a reminder anything can happen to anyone. How was the sand sounds like it is still very Smooth. Was there a traction issue last weekend. Sometimes it gets very smooth where its almost like ice skating. well thanks for sharing and Yiah next weekend Regatta. Come out and do another meet and greet with Many of us DDR peeps.

There were a lot of crashes. i know another DDR member wrecked on his quad Saturday (i think). he got a little banged up but was ok.

There was some wind to help smooth things out, but by Sunday afternoon it seemed pretty rough to me. Not after-thanksgiving rough, but still pretty rough. There were some nice smooth areas you could find though. I don't think it was too slick

I can't make it this weekend since i have to work, but i'm sure people will be having some fun.

First I want to "THANK YOU" for helping roll them back on all fours. My husband Jp was passenger in the RZR and a very good friend John was driving. This was John's first trip to dumont with his new RZR and one he will never forget! We were back at camp when my son rolled in to get parts to fix the other RZR that had rolled (Driver O.K). As I was standing there talking to my son a call came over the head sets and said THE 2 OLD GUYS ROLLED I was ready to have a heart attack knowing they were talking about my old guy! Lol Yes the others in the truck's, sand rail and RZR"s did go on not knowing anything happened cause there were no head set in the RZR to let them know they had crashed. John's head was cut open and bleeding bad. They got him back to camp and our daughter in law cleaned it and super glued it back together. John stayed out in dumont in tel monday packed up and headed back to Vegas. He did indeed go to see the doctor today and the doctor was very pleased with the care she had given him. It was not the roll bar that cut him but in fact the windscreen! It was razor sharp and he is very lucky it didn't do any other damage. I have to agree if you have one TAKE IT OFF! We'll we loaded up his RZR and it headed back to Ca with us so my Husand can get it fixed up for him (New roll cage, doors,plastic,seat belts,head sets and a few other little things) so he can be back out playing again soon! They say things happen in three's and it did 2 RZR's flipped and Sand rail ran out of gas on the last ride of our trip, but the best part is everyone is safe and we had a great weekend with family and friends. Thank's again for all your help! If you can please tell me how to upload picture,I have a few on Saturday our group putting the North Pole back up it blow down the weekend before in wind storm!

First I want to "THANK YOU" for helping roll them back on all fours. My husband Jp was passenger in the RZR and a very good friend John was driving. This was John's first trip to dumont with his new RZR and one he will never forget! We were back at camp when my son rolled in to get parts to fix the other RZR that had rolled (Driver O.K). As I was standing there talking to my son a call came over the head sets and said THE 2 OLD GUYS ROLLED I was ready to have a heart attack knowing they were talking about my old guy! Lol Yes the others in the truck's, sand rail and RZR"s did go on not knowing anything happened cause there were no head set in the RZR to let them know they had crashed. John's head was cut open and bleeding bad. They got him back to camp and our daughter in law cleaned it and super glued it back together. John stayed out in dumont in tel monday packed up and headed back to Vegas. He did indeed go to see the doctor today and the doctor was very pleased with the care she had given him. It was not the roll bar that cut him but in fact the windscreen! It was razor sharp and he is very lucky it didn't do any other damage. I have to agree if you have one TAKE IT OFF! We'll we loaded up his RZR and it headed back to Ca with us so my Husand can get it fixed up for him (New roll cage, doors,plastic,seat belts,head sets and a few other little things) so he can be back out playing again soon! They say things happen in three's and it did 2 RZR's flipped and Sand rail ran out of gas on the last ride of our trip, but the best part is everyone is safe and we had a great weekend with family and friends. Thank's again for all your help! If you can please tell me how to upload picture,I have a few on Saturday our group putting the North Pole back up it blow down the weekend before in wind storm!

Were you with the group who had 2 SAND TRUCKS with them? And If so would you happen to know if they are members here or any other site?

Glad to hear he was ok. It looked pretty bad. I wasn't sure if the roll cage hit him or not. It looked pretty bad when we got there, and I had my phone out ready to get help. Luckly the driver was talking and seemed "ok." Your Husband did a FANTASTIC job during the whole thing.

I couldn't believe seeing the other RZR sitting there as well. Good thing he had a custom cage on.

I know the other RZR-XP from your group that stopped had a GoPro on the Hood. I would like to see the video to see what happened. I got it on video and posted it here, but you can't really see much as i was too far away.

To post some pics you can go to advanced options and then you use the Attach Files.

Edited by Rap_Rider

Were you with the group who had 2 SAND TRUCKS with them? And If so would you happen to know if they are members here or any other site?

I followed those guys on one of their rides. The one truck is the "nightmare" truck, but I guess he just painted it different for this trip. Those guys are really fun to follow. I think he was pretty shocked that he had a hard time passing my VW powered rail.

I too was wondering if they are members here.

Where do I begin?.........I rolled into Camp (Terry) hahahaha, around 5 pm Saturday after a half day of work and waiting for a buddy to get off of work too. Got the trailer leveled and camp set up. Didnt do any riding Saturday evening, just kind of hung out and talked with Adam, Terry and Ken and crew. Dinner time came and went, then it was sitting around the campfire time, telling jokes and hearing the story of Terry's wild ride. Sunday morning rolled around and the weather was PERFECT. We went on a pretty good ride led by Terry's grandson Garret. That boy can ride!!!! I wasnt feeling like myself on Sunday so i didnt do to much riding, I dont know what is wrong, maybe i need to get my eyesight checked because i couldnt really read the dunes that well. I thought maybe it was the lenses in my goggles. Let me tell you, Terry is like a mobile shop, he asked me what kinda goggles I have and then pulls a stack of lenses out and says find one that fits. THANKS again Terry! what a world of difference. Adam, Terry and Ken rolled out late afternoon Sunday. I stayed till Monday around 12 then headed home. All in all it was a great trip. Thank you to Terry and his wife for the hospitality and welcoming us into their camp.

Yes,the 2 sand trucks are with our group. I'm not sure they are on this site by will talk with them and see. We have been going to dumont for 26 yrs. We have a good size group 5 Sand rails,2 Racer trucks a few quads/motorcycles and a hand full of RZR and they do all know how to have "FUN"!

When they got back to camp Jr. did have it on his go pro. We watched it and very thankful he only had a cut on his head! We are waiting for him to send it once I get it will post right away. Thanks again for your help out there!

Yes,the 2 sand trucks are with our group. I'm not sure they are on this site by will talk with them and see. We have been going to dumont for 26 yrs. We have a good size group 5 Sand rails,2 Racer trucks a few quads/motorcycles and a hand full of RZR and they do all know how to have "FUN"!

but you guys drive like idiots and cut people off way too much!!!

Your group cut me/our train off personally 3 times on 1 friggen ride and I have stories from all weekend but we wont go into that here.

You need to learn some dune etiquette!! before someone takes it too personal

Geez bert, how do you really feel. Friendly thread, lol :)

I have the motorsports pack, and bought the seatpost mount so I could mount on the Heal Guards. I bought Tusk Heal guards specifically for the tube design. I had an issue where the camera was freezing up when i mounted it on the Heal Guard and under the seat facing back. Facing back was mounted with a sticky mount on the air box as it was the most secure spot. I ended up hitting the camera with part of the suspension linkage but it didn't really hurt it.

I don't use the suction cup as i lost one camera that way. There are ways to secure it if you do.

Usually the best sound comes from the camera on my helmet and using the skeleton case. I think the sound of the bike was weird with it on the heal guard because i had the full case on since i wasn't sure how much sand would get on it. I think i want to do a sand cover for the GoPro so I can still use the Skeleton case. It's too bad the camera was freezing up because i would have gotten a lot more video from the heal guard and rear facing with jumps and wheelies. I have a service request in with GoPro to see if they have any ideas.

I still want 6 GoPros. I have 2 bikes, so I want one forward, one rearward and one on each rider all going. That would make for some cool video edits. Still wish i had put my camera on Terry's car before he decided to wreck, but he didn't tell me first.

Edited by Rap_Rider

First of all we are not idiots,we were flowing in our group and we did come across your agroup a few times,sand etiquette is being safe and avoiding other drivers.also i dont know who said you had the right of way our group had to yield to yours,i do apologize if we did cross rut your group up if so? And tru that nobody wants to make it personal with me,becuase i am that guy thats the first person towing,helping fix there car,picking trash up or rescueing somebody in an medical

emergence,we are all eexperieced duners or racers in our group,but we also do get down and dirty when we need an addrenaline rush

hey Jim... How do you feel after your wreck? More importantly how's the bike? lol

Thanks for coming by and helping us out when Terry had his crazy driving moment. I can't remember your Girl Friends (???) name, but I give a thank you to her to for grabbing stuff out the sand, especially the GoPro :woopitydoo: and helping out.

First of all we are not idiots,we were flowing in our group and we did come across your agroup a few times,sand etiquette is being safe and avoiding other drivers.also i dont know who said you had the right of way our group had to yield to yours,i do apologize if we did cross rut your group up if so? And tru that nobody wants to make it personal with me,becuase i am that guy thats the first person towing,helping fix there car,picking trash up or rescueing somebody in an medical

emergence,we are all eexperieced duners or racers in our group,but we also do get down and dirty when we need an addrenaline rush

Were you the one driving one of those trucks or LEADING any of the runs we crossed paths with?

hey Jim... How do you feel after your wreck? More importantly how's the bike? lol

Thanks for coming by and helping us out when Terry had his crazy driving moment. I can't remember your Girl Friends (???) name, but I give a thank you to her to for grabbing stuff out the sand, especially the GoPro :woopitydoo: and helping out.

I am feeling better was sore for a few days, The bike will require some work, But the car ran amazing all weekend..all in all...GOOD TIMES! Her name is Kristin, I am sure she will chime in here before to long! lol

Problem is your group wasn't being safe or avoiding other riders...

I almost got run over on my quad by the trucks in your group and the rzr following me came close to rolling to avoid your group....right after your group cut through our line of rails ahead of me! We were on on the high side coming across the face of the dune/razor when your group transitioned over the dune ahead of us and came straight towards us instead of going a little lower (or any other direction) to avoid us and allow us to keep moving...I had to stop on the dune, but was sliding sideways down the dune towards your line until my quad finally sunk enough to stop, if those trucks were any closer I could have reached out and touched them! We couldn't go over the dune, couldn't turn down and couldn't continue forward simply because your group came straight for us when they had plenty of room to go any other direction or even just 5ft lower on the side hill to avoid us as we were already 1/2 way across the dune with no place to go...If I or the rzr behind me would have rolled or slide any further we would have been run over by your group, that is how close those trucks came, that is not avoiding other riders or being safe... :rant:

I'm not even going to go into the nonsense you all pulled when our group was leaving Comp and heading into the dunes... :dope:

Edited by Foxysandchick

That would be me :hello: ...I'm Kristin...you are welcome, glad you all weren't hurt. It's never a good feeling to come over a dune and see a rail like that especially when you know who it is.