A Ride With Terry

Adam @ GTP Off Road

Here is the video!

I saw the razor back coming, and didn't think we were gonna make it. I knew Terry was trying to turn, but i thought he gave up and was going to follow the razor back... WRONG. The back tire slid out, over the razor back catching the witches eye on the other side. This was enought to put the car on the side, then to the roof, then back down to the passenger side. somehow we ended up facing 180* from the direction we were going. The feeling was weird. i felt the back tire going over the razorback, and BANG it went a little slow motion in the car. I was on the Roof for a minute where i think it spun to face the other direction. All i really saw was sand, and more sand. i couldn't believe what just happened, CRAZY! Terry was dangling by the seat belt above me and we did the "are you good, yeah, You, Yeah, ok GET OUT" Since the Passenger side was in the sand i was a little buried with my right shoulder and pressed against the seat. nothing hurt and i had an arm protector thing on to keep my right arm in. Getting out wasn't too bad, just had to go through the driver's window. We had a crowd gathering pretty quick, including some fellow DDR folks, Thanks for helping. The car had a ways to drop down the dune to get back on it's wheels, but pushing it was pretty easy. Looked at the damage and the Roof was caved in, the rear air deflector (i guess) was munched, and the passenger side panel had a dent. Overall not bad. The car fired right back up, just smoked a little. All tires still had air, suspension, and frame all good. Drove the car back to camp. Terry drove it again on Saturday, but i stuck to my raptor.

• Like 1

Holy cow, that is scary.

Those wrist protectors are a great idea. OGP reccomended I use them when I bought his car, and I ordered two for the back seats as well. A lot of people are funny about putting them on in my car, but now more than ever, I'm glad I have them. This goes to show you, anything can happen anytime; Again, glad everyone is ok.

Wow, that is crazy! I really glad you two are ok. Looks like that was a hard hit. With any less safety equipment or a lesser quality car it may have been ugly. It just goes to show anything can happen and can happen REAL quick...even to a skilled driver like Terry. It's happened to a few others in our group too. It's starting to seem more like a question of WHEN and not IF you'll roll. :dayum: I have the wrist restraints but haven't used them in my Tech 3 car. I am going to get in the habit again though.

Adam, how did the camera and housing hold up?

It was my go pro and Adam just loaded and edited the video. The gopro was still working and was used all weekend, the music was still playing and there was a lot of "holy sh*t what happened" conversation. I still think that if that witch's eye hadn't been there the car would have come right back over the edge. It was a rolled top not a razor so it was a little deceiving as to where the top was at as I came into the turn and just caught a witch at the wrong time wrong place. Time for new sheet metal and paint.

Wow I can see how that could totaly happen.

Hope it doesn't take much to fix the car back up and I hope yor GoPro survived.

Glad that noone was hurt. The rest can be fixed. What a cool first ride!

Now at least you've been through in a sand car what most haven't lol.

I'm with Pete, we've said it too it's not a matter of if but when if you drive the dunes long enough it'll happen to you.

Terry seemed to realize we crashed while dangling from the seat belt, i realized we crashed when all i saw was sand.

I think the one that was worse off was Ken. he was riding his quad behind us and saw the whole thing. he was more shaken then i was. he also rolled down the hill while tipping the car back up and hurt his ribs.

I was good we weren't going any faster, and didn't roll any more. We also stayed in the sand which was nice and soft.

Sorry to hear Terry. If you need any help getting the car torn down and ready for repairs and paint just let me know. I've got all the tools we may need. Hope Kens ribs heal soon. I'm off to find some arm restraints even thought all I do is get high centered on razor backs. On second thought I'm sure your insured and can just send it somewhere to be fixed. If not call me!

I don't ride as a passenger, I'd scream like a little girl, right Rocket?

I rolled at Sand Mountain back in the 70's and hurt the wife and to this day she won't ride with me. It can happen to anyone at anytime without warning.

Historic ride Rap, good video!

Edited by sandawg

Holy cow, that is scary.

Those wrist protectors are a great idea. OGP reccomended I use them when I bought his car, and I ordered two for the back seats as well. A lot of people are funny about putting them on in my car, but now more than ever, I'm glad I have them. This goes to show you, anything can happen anytime; Again, glad everyone is ok.

The wrist restraints are a must. Whenever I had a passenger I made them wear them just like the seatbelt. No wrist restraint, No ride!

That's my rule too! Passengers may not see the importance of them, but it's not up for discussion with me. This is just 1 more incident that confirms they work. Everybody ought to consider getting equipped with them.

• Like 1

I think after it all, Terry might be a little happy. cause now he gets new sheet metal, new paint. and the scratch on the back fixed. lol

I wouldn't say happy was the word. It is quite a hassle dealing with insurance adjusters who don't know the difference from a sand car to a boat. Literally the adjuster asked me twice why I had to take my "Boat" to Ca.for repairs. So although repairs will be done it certainlly isn't fun.After missing 1 1/2 months due to issues on my motorhome and now this I will be lucky to get one more trip in the car this season. Glad I bought a RZR S so I can at least play and have some fun instead of being the camp b*tch.

I actually am embarrassed this happened and feel horrible that I put someone else's life at risk over a stupid mistake that I should not have made. But it is a dangerous sport and as I told the owner of Alumicraft this morning I am grateful for his car building skills and truly believe that a lesser car and not having the proper safety equiptment the outcome of just sheet metal and paint would have been a different story.

Terry

Terry

Insurance people can be a little "off" for sure. I would hope they weren't looking at it if they were calling it a boat. Lots of hoops to jump through to get it all fixed. The car was working fine though, you could always hold off the repairs for a little bit and enjoy the car till closer to the end of the season.

The RZR S does good and even though it isn't as fast, i'd follow it any day on a run.

Granted that wasn't the ride i had planned during the weekend, but i don't sweat it. We are both ok, and to say the least that was the highlight of my weekend and a story i will tell for years. I don't consider my life was at risk, especially after seeing the RZR XP accident Sunday. sh*t happens and its not like you were being careless Terry. I am glad i had the little arm restraint on.