RIP Smokin Al

ninjagreengirl

I wanted to start a thread that everyone could go on and post their favorite memory of Al.

Do you remember the first day you met him?

Do you remember the day that he said, “here try this!”

Do you remember the smile on his face?

Of coarse you do. Because anyone who met Smokin Al, was meeting their best friend. Yes their best friend. Al made everyone he met his best friend. It was his personality, it was his charm. It was his heart being made known.

Al always had a smile on his face. He was always there to shake your hand and shove his food in your face. He wanted everyone around him to be happy and have full bellies too! Al took everything to the extreme. Whether it be cooking too much food just to make sure everyone in his camp and the next three camps over were fed, to driving his sandcar so hard that he blew the motor up or broke something major every time he went out for a run! And you would think this would put him down, but he would get angry and then go back to cooking and having barbeque sauce all over his hands and his trailer and once again saying, “here try this!” He always had a joke to tell to make you smile, and always had a story to tell and wanted you to be a part of it.

Less than a year ago, cancer decided that it needed to be a part of his life too. It crept its way in and overstayed its welcome. Al stayed strong. He fought the fight. He battled the battle and he stayed as strong as strong can be. But in the end, cancer took over his body, and knocked him down to an unbeatable fight. So today all we are left with is memories. The memories of a man who wanted nothing more than everyone around him to be happy. So take this time to remember a man who put others first. A man who loved with all of his heart. A man who is leaving behind a wife, and family of kids and grandkids who will forever have a missing piece of their heart now that he is gone.

As his friend he will always have a place in my heart that will be forever saved for him.

My condolences go out to everyone he touched. The world is a little less perfect without him in it. We forever will love you Albert! May you now be pain free and forever Rest in Peace with your son Kyle in heaven.

• Like 1

Julie I dont know how anyone could follow that sentiment you wrote. It was very beautiful, and you could tell you wrote it from your heart. It said it all, Al was a great man.

I do remember all those firsts you meantion with Al, and that is why its so hard to comprehend that he is gone....

I hope that his family, and friends are more at peace now, knowing that he is now longer in pain, and is with his son. I am watching my dad fight this exact fight as we speak, and its not an easy thing to watch...

God Speed Al, and may you rest in peace....

We met Al on vendors row a few years ago and I have to say.. after the first meeting he made you feel like family.... I remember him making a breakfast burritos for the family and he told me he was going to make them special... and he did.. Man those things were huge. We always looked for him to help support him and the food. We enjoyed talking to him through the screen while he cooked... kinda like dont pay attention to the man behind the curtain thing...Outside of the tent he was the same.. happy and tried to get everyone to eat.. He was a Great Man in my eyes... that title is not held by very many in my life.. I feel a part of our Dune family is gone and he will be missed. Not so good with words at these times but ... Al, Better Days are ahead big buddy!!!

David, Tina, Marissa, Caleb......

Rest in Peace Al.... you will surely be missed by many. I can recall all those times spoken about above and a few more from time to time when he would be out here in Barstow at the desert races. Always ready to help someone out, feed someone...or just sit back and chat some. Brian mentioned a good picture of Al, Pete and I at last years regatta just hanging and BS'ing. Had to look it up on Neal's site when I got back. Rest in Peace again Bud, your missed by many....Our prayers are with the family....SF Woody and Shanna

Al was and is my best Friend in the whole world and I will miss him with all my heart. He was my big brother and was always there for me no matter what it was. I was honerd to be able to BBQ for all you last week at the regatta for him ,and thank every one for their kindness and well wishes . The world is gonna miss him because I know how many people's lives he had touched. I love you Al and will see you someday again.

• Like 1

Al was very generous and a great guy to be around. Though I only had the privilege of getting to know him through a couple small business transactions, he was a man of integrity and I feel privileged to have met him as that is a rare quality these days. Godspeed Al...

The first time I met Al was when I went to the night drages and he came out there with some of his delicious food. He even gave us some extra he had left when he was getting ready to leave. Great guy that will surely be missed. I know he moved on to a better place and is no longer in pain. Take care good buddy, you will be missed.

The Johnson Family

the guy used to drive all the way to our house so he could get our opinion on his latest recipes, claimed it to be because i was brutally honest. if you ever drove from his place to ours (4 miles of unmaintained dirt roads) and 5 to 6 asphalt you would understand how crazy it was. lol . ALWAYS with an anxious anticipated look on his face as he waited for a response. i put some pics up on fb but don't know how to get um up here or i would share. teared up got to go

love ya man

Services for Smokin' Al:

Saturday, February 18, 2012

10:00 a.m.

Calvary Chapel of Phelan

4501 Nielson Road

Phelan, CA 92371-8459

Thank you to all of you who have touched and been touched by Al. He loved the dunes and he adored people and his BBQ was a means to bring both of those worlds together. Thank you all for your very kind words and support throughout the years. Rest assured, we all will be together again someday. Love, The Tomblin family

Edited by Smokinal

Julie you said it so well. That was SO Al! It was just a couple weeks ago, even in his condition, he managed to get on the shoutbox and ask if we were going to be doing breakfast for everyone at the regatta. He was such a strong guy and was still looking out for everyone until the end. I remember one trip he broke his car (imagine that LOL) and went right back to cooking food for everyone like Julie said. He had his deep fryer out there and he had the best time making up some sort of doughnut concoctions. Everyone came over as he passed out different sizes/ shapes and had so much fun. It made him so happy.

One of the best memories I had with Al was New Years Eve 2010/2011. We were shooting off fireworks all over the place (in camp) and almost caught each others rigs on fire. Actually it was his daughter, Jackie, she was the main culprit! It was hilarious. Al was laughing so hard. I loved seeing him have a good time. He was so full of life. The next day on a dune run he mentioned to me that this was "the best new years he'd ever had". That felt so good to hear.

I am going to miss that crazy guy blasting through the dunes with his LOUD and obnoxious flamed out sandcar, crazy hair in his face, always running on the edge of blowing something up. That thing was a monster. I would hear him coming and running us down to jump in on a dune run. We'd give each other that wave and then hammer down.

Before each trip out, he would just randomly call me and tell me how many pounds of tri tip, pulled pork, and racks of ribs he was bringing out. I could barely understand him and gave him sh*t all the time because he would always be driving somewhere and he'd have to talk on speakerphone. lol He would always have a secret stash of ribs or a special plate of food for me. I came to realize he did this for almost everyone. He wanted to make everyone feel special. He was always looking out for everyone. One of the last few times we camped together (I think it was the time with the deep fryer), I gave him a new nickname....camp papa. He was like a father to everyone, taking care of his dune family.

I am happy to have shared a portion of my life with Al. Not only did we get Al, but he introduced us to a group of awesome people. His family, Brian, Nicki, Aaron, Ricky Bobby, Dan, etc etc. They are all just as genuine as he was. He will me missed dearly and will never be forgotten. One of the last texts I got from him through Brian was "Thanks Pete, Love you bud".

Rest in peace, my friend.....Al Tomblin aka Smokin Al

We'll hook up for a dune run in the next life. ;)

post-3-0-13678600-1328889231_thumb.jpg

A classic memory with Brian and Al when Al got an early jump drag racing at comp hill.

post-3-0-25254200-1328889170_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I met Al through work years ago now and we hit it off right away both being from the high desert and being off road fanatics. I agree with Pete, Al would call me up out of the blue, middle of the day screaming "Shire, what's going on?" into this speaker phone to tell me what was going on right then with him and ask how I was.

One of those calls was on Thursday in June (I think, it was definately summer) telling me to get me stuff together for an overnighter to Dumont to shoot some video for a buddy. That was a great trip and I feel priveleged to have been able to spend the one on one time with Al during the trip up and back. He drove the wheels off that car, what a beast that thing is. I didn't get to see a copy of the shoot but wish I had as it would be a great keep sake.

Everyone knew Al, even the girl behind the counter at Subway in Barstow. She recognized our shirts.

You are missed my friend. God Bless. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.