My A+ build.

rushjunkie

So I've been wanting a suspension 70 for a while now. My plan was to convert a pit bike. I had already begun drawing the triple clamps, swingarm etc, and was shopping for the right pit bike. Out of nowhere, this A+ pops up and I jumped on it.

Looks like I'm gonna be building this thing up through the summer. I'm gonna take my time and try to do things the right way and save $ anywhere I can. I always try to do work myself, so I might end up having a ton of questions.

I've already started collecting odds and ends. Saw a decent deal on these NOS Marzocchi forks and grabbed them:

post-3304-0-51653300-1336635116_thumb.jp

Which brings up the first question: Is there a big difference between running them as leading axle vs. trailing axle? I know the theory is that they should handle differently, but I don't know if it's noticeably different. Right now, the axle is set up as trailing, but I think I want to go leading just to gain a little clearance from head to tire.

Here's the forks that are on it now: A little long, and not cycling very smoothly. Anybody know the diameter of the forks that originally came with the A+? I've seen them run XR80 forks, which are 27mm, but these are 30mm. (the Marzocchi forks are 32mm)

post-3304-0-60810900-1336635169_thumb.jp

The frame is already powdered, but the rear shock mount looks like it was re-welded afterward. Gonna need to be cleaned up and then I'll see if it needs to be remade. Hopefully it cleans up ok. If it needs to be done again it will be too tempting to cut it up to extend the frame a little.

post-3304-0-22696600-1336635175_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-91504900-1336635172_thumb.jp

Next step is breaking down the front end and sending out the triples for powder. I already have some mini fat bars, and clamps. Just need some new bearings all around. Luckily the rear suspension already had a Works shock, unfortunately it seems like it was valved for somebody heavier than me. Gonna try and see if I can get away without new spring and valving.

Stay tuned, and speak up if I'm screwing anything up...

Dude that thing is gonna be badass. Good luck on the build, Eddy!

Thanks! Should be fun for sure.

That'll be schweet!

What motor are you thinking about?

Ah, the million dollar question. Short answer: I have no idea. I can't decide between the 150 e-start piranha (convenient and strong, but more work in terms of finding place for battery, blah blah), or a 155z out of a pitster (would be ideal if I can get a deal on a running pit bike as a donor, but then I would have to A) mutilate the plastics to accommodate the kick starter, or B) build a flip-up latch for the seat). Decisions, decisions...

Suspension is a good thing. Kinda helps the kidneys. Show the progress reports as you get close to finishing it up.

No joke. It was either suspension or cut back on the booze. :idea:

Edited by rushjunkie

• 10 months later...