New Member on DDR

flavtfan

I'm new to the Area...living in Vegas. How picky are they with the DB levels of your exhaust at Dumont and Glamis? I have a 2007 YFZ SE and will be putting on a full Jardine RT99. I'm pretty sure 96db is pretty standard in cali and vegas but do they check you a lot? I really want a new exhaust that will give me more HP and the Jardine from what i've read on YFZcentral puts out the most bang for the buck in top exhaust that aren't over 100db. I was considering the DASA but I think that's pretty well over 100db's and when you put the silencer on it, it chokes the quad up a bit. I currently have an FMF powercore slipon and while it sounds good, it doesn't really give you that much HP over stock.

Edited by flavtfan

There are no noise restrictions at Dumont per the BLM web site;

BLMstatics.0.gif>statics.0.gifCaliforniastatics.0.gif>statics.0.gifBarstowstatics.0.gif>statics.0.gifDumont Dunes Print Page Barstow Field Office

Dumont Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Area

barstow_images.Par.20277ce9.Image.409.212.jpg

The Dumont Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Area, also referred to as an Open Area, is an exciting and remote area for off-highway vehicle recreation. Bordered by steep volcanic hills and the slow running Amargosa River, the region is easily recognized from a distance by its distinctive sand dunes. The elevation here varies from 700 feet, at the river, to 1200 feet at the top of Competition Hill, the tallest of the dunes.

The historic Tonapah and Tidewater Railroad, to the east, was in operation between 1905 and 1940. The vegetation here consists of creosote scrub, some annual grasses, and wildflowers in the spring. The low elevation in the area makes for warm to extremely hot conditions in spring and summer. Early spring wildflower displays in this vicinity can be quite impressive.

For more information about Dumont Dunes - call (760) 252-6000

The Dumont Dunes Sub-Group of the Desert Advisory Council invites interested members of the public to attend a Meeting. The Dumont Sub-Group will be in session at the Barstow Field Office located at 2601 Barstow Road, Barstow, CA 92311. Please join us there, the office # is 760 252-6000 for meeting dates and times.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

IMPORTANT INFORMATION about DUMONT DUNES PASSES

DUMONT DUNES SEPTEMBER 2008 UPDATE

NEW GUIDANCE ON ENTRANCE (LANES) DUMONT DUNES

Please Note the following:

Visitors to the Dunes need a pass for each vehicle driven into the dunes, not for your towed trailer and green sticker vehicles in your truck or trailer, but only for the primary vehicle you drive in with when you enter and exit.

All passes must display your last name and the license plate number of your vehicle. Passses can not be transferred to other Dunes guest or vehicles, passes may be revoked by any BLM employee acting in offiicial capacity for not adhering to regulatory violations at the dunes site.

The onsite fee machines at Dumont Dunes take credit cards only. Purchase your entrance passes at one of the following vendors below prior to coming to Dumont Dunes. Fee machines located at Dumont Dunes may not function properly as they are dependent on solar power and batteries.

DUMONT DUNES Pass Vendors 2011-2012 Season

• Kinsail Corp www.dumontdunespermits.com 3600 N. Upland St. Arlington, VA. 22207.. Phone 703 994-4194

• K&Y Country Store, P.O. Box 440 Baker, CA. 92309..Phone 760 733-4252

• Parker MC/ATV, 301 Ox Bow #3, Pahrump, NV. 89048..Phone 775 537-6686

• Grewal Travel Center, 72363 Baker Blvd., Baker, CA. 92309..Phone 760 733-4505

• Valero Service Station, 71808 Baker Blvd., Baker, CA. 92309..Phone 760 733-4542

• Johnnie Walker RV, 4784 Boulder Highway, Las Vegas, NV. 89121
    Phone....702-436-2495

• General Store, Highway 127, Shoshone, CA. 92384, Phone..760 852-4224

• Doghouserepair, 1371 W. Basin Ave., Pahrump, NV. 89060..775 727-9344 www.doghouserepair.com/events/dumont

• Carter PowerSports, 6775 South Decatur BLVD, Las Vegas, NV. 89118, Phone..702 795-2000
  • DuneMart/NLTTB 28450 Live Oak Canyon Rd. Redlands, CA. 92373..909 793-2333

barstow_images.Par.a7ab9d17.Image.412.309.gif

Access

The riding area is south of the Amargosa River and east of Highway 127, about 31 miles north of Baker, California. There are two ways of getting to the dunes.

The Little Dunes staging and camping area is directly off Highway 127, conveniently located for immediate staging. One mile north of here, just off Highway 127, is Dumont Road, a dirt road which follows and crosses the river, leading to the main field of large dunes.

Activities

Most visitors ride motorcycles or ATVs, sand rails, or tour the area in vehicles with four-wheel-drive. The area off Dumont Road is used extensively for OHV and sand rail staging and play. There are many opportunities for hiking, rock scrambling, rockhounding, and bird-, and wildlife-watching in the hills away from the dunes.

The Dumont Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Area consists of several riding opportunities. The Dumont “Little” Dunes is a favorite place for families with smaller children. The dune field is more forgiving to riders with novice to intermediate skill levels and those who wish to practice in a safer environment. This small low dune field is connected to the main Dumont dune field by a corridor and is there to allow all types of off-road vehicles to legally access the two dune fields.

The main dune field is Dumont Dunes. This field consists of steep dunes with sharp razor backs and deep witches eyes and should be traversed by experienced dune riders. Riders should always do a check ride to find changes in the dune field before attempting a high speed run. The back side of the dunes around the race track is an excellent place for novice and intermediate riders to traverse a multitude of dunes that approximate their skill level.

There several areas around the dune fields that are within the boundary of the off-highway Vehicle Area and will challenge the novice and intermediate riders on terrain other than sand The Sperry Wash Route is an open “limited use” route that travels up the Amargosa River to Sperry Wash. This route travels over some extremely rocky and rutted terrain but is a good challenge for the novice to intermediate rider. This route is limited use and straying from the marked route is prohibited.

barstow_images.Par.86a6d8b1.Image.472.368.jpg

The Kingston Range Wilderness borders the riding area to the north. This area is closed to motor vehicles. Travel outside the riding area to the south and east is permitted only on designated routes and only with street-legal vehicles.

Extremes of heat and cold are common. Emergency help is not immediate.

Rules and Regulations

All vehicles must have a muffler or spark arrester and have either a street-legal license or be registered as an off-highway vehicle.

If you are not a resident of California and your OHV is not registered in your home state, you are required to have a California "Nonresident" OHV permit to legally operate your vehicle.

All OHVs must have a mast and red or orange flag for visibility in the dunes.

Vehicles operated at night must use both headlights and taillights.

Helmets are required to be worn by all riders of ATVs.

Only one person at a time is allowed on an ATV.

Possession or use of any glass container, empty or not, used for carrying any liquid for drinking purposes is prohibited (43 CFR 8361.1-6).

Camping is allowed anywhere within the riding area as long as it does not block travel on a road, and is limited to a 14-day stay.

Shooting is not permitted within this area.

Draining of sewage tanks, littering, or dumping of trash is prohibited.

Possesion or use of any glass container used for carrying any liquid for drinking purposes is prohibited. (43 CFR 8361.1-6)

barstow_images.Par.aa50112e.Image.464.86.gif

awesome guys thanks!! I went out to the dunes the week I moved here from Florida and i'm hooked. I had a back injury that weekend so i couldn't fully enjoy the dunes so I can't wait to go back. I bought that 2007 beauty with under 5 hours on it....i'm not even sure that guy drove it down the street it was so clean...not a scratch or anything on the plastics. It had cobwebs between the tire studs. I'm just looking for a little bit more power. installing an FCI on it next week then the jardine after that, it should wake it up quite well. it has an FMF slipon and a Velocity intake on it right now. since i've gotten it i've re-jetted(his jetting was ALL screwed up) and did the ziptie mod and added the velocity intake with lid off. i'm thinking of doing the cam mod but not quite sure yet.

Edited by flavtfan

For desert/dune riding, you gotta do the cam mod. Dunes like revs, and the cam mod will make you more power at the top end. Once you're in there for a valve adjustment, you might as well get it done.

And don't let any of the old guys here tell you any different, that bike is way better in the dunes than those tanks they ride...

yeah i'll probably get it done, i'm mechanically inclined to be able to do it myself so i probably will out of boredom over the summer if not i'll wait till i absolutely have to break open the engine. i've also heard guys engines run cooler for some reason with the cam mod. i've also heard of hard starts so hopefully i won't have those issues. i'm running a 45p right now....i'll probably bump to a 172 main, 45p, and possibly the 4th clip on my needle with 2-2.25 turns out on the A/F screw after the FCI intake, Jardine full exhaust..when i do the cam mod a 48p should take care of the hard starts. right now i'm running with the current setup a 168/45/3rd clip with A/F screw 1.75 turns out and it's spot on. 35 leak jet. i also trail ride so i don't want to lose any bottom end.

Edited by flavtfan

There are no noise restrictions at Dumont per the BLM web site;

All vehicles must have a muffler or spark arrester and have either a street-legal license or be registered as an off-highway vehicle.

^ there you go. Most super loud pipes don't have spark arrestors. I think there still is a noise limit, but it's a CA law, not Dumont/ BLM.

Welcome to the site, this is a great group to chat with and dune! Congrats on your purchase, I love that years graphics!

Side note, you should sign up with yfztech.com, I have an account there and Central, I can tell you yfztech is a lot better site!!

YFZWhite2.jpg

^ there you go. Most super loud pipes don't have spark arrestors. I think there still is a noise limit, but it's a CA law, not Dumont/ BLM.

I looked for a specific federal law regarding noise limits on BLM operated/controlled land. I could not find anything describing restrictions. However if the area you are riding in has dry brush and or vegitation which could catch fire you need a spark arrestor. I think the solution is stay away from bushes and rangers while at Dumont:)

I looked for a specific federal law regarding noise limits on BLM operated/controlled land. I could not find anything describing restrictions. However if the area you are riding in has dry brush and or vegitation which could catch fire you need a spark arrestor. I think the solution is stay away from bushes and rangers while at Dumont:)

I've just heard of drag racer guys being harassed about their pipes in the past. I though it was because of the noise levels, but it was probably more for spark arrestors. They fit that certain profile though and were probably doing something else illegal in the first place.

Welcome to the site, this is a great group to chat with and dune! Congrats on your purchase, I love that years graphics!

Side note, you should sign up with yfztech.com, I have an account there and Central, I can tell you yfztech is a lot better site!!

YFZWhite2.jpg

I'm a member on central, didn't know about tech...i'll check it out. I also noticed the filter under your seat...is that off the oil breather box? did you just attach a filter to the end for your FCI install?

I'm a member on central, didn't know about tech...i'll check it out. I also noticed the filter under your seat...is that off the oil breather box? did you just attach a filter to the end for your FCI install?

Are you talking about the little red filter? If so that is the crank case breather filter.

Are you talking about the little red filter? If so that is the crank case breather filter.

yeah, maybe that's what i meant. it's the little black box that normally connects into your stock filter box. I just know that oil will come out from time to time according to other peoples post. I haven't seen any come out of mine yet.

well, did the Cam Mod a couple days ago haha. starts right up with the 45p so hopefully it stays that way. the slight bog when i stab the throttle from idle is totally gone now, even with the ziptie and 35 leak i still had a slight bog....it's gone. I still haven't driven it around yet, waiting on the FCI and exhaust. then i'll fine tune the jetting. i'm also gonna flush and run engine ice.

Might as well go here. Loud exhaust in the dunes and running Banshi Hill or Comp Hill are one thing but the camping area gets pretty crowed on busy weekends. Lots of riders are young and don't think anything about all the other people. They crack their pipes for no reason other than trying to sound cool and try and make people think their ride is rat fast. Late night and early mornings are the worst and it seems that's when most of the rookie riders or unsupervised kids do their thing. You'll see the idiots that create "worms" on the flats, spin arround and raise dust and speed too close to camps. "Other that that Mr Linclon, how was the performance"? :rolleyes:

Yea I am old and grumpy as some on here will tell you but I tend to say what I am thinking.

Welcome to the site and enjoy it and the dunes! :2cents:

:usa::old:

Edited by sandawg

the one time i've been out to dumont i went pretty slow around the camps just because i'm watching out for others doing stupid stuff. i remember seeing some funny stuff from the drunks when the sun goes down haha. we were parked near outhouse 6 and some dude in a RZR was creaping around this huge party of sandrails/people and i guess did something because the sandrails started up and chased him, not sure if they ever found him but they sounded pissed haha. a VW bug went over after the RZR too then broke down, that had to be kind of embarrassing. haha. . i'm not one for wanting my quad to sound too loud because i don't want a fine to ruin the weekend, i just want a pipe to give me more power than the FMF and is still relatively quiet. If Venom still made their pipe i would have probably bought one of those but since they don't i'm going with the Jardine RT99. now October needs to hurry up and get here so I can get back to the dunes. My back hurt like a mofo the first time and didnt' get to enjoy dumont like i should have.