tell me i spent money wrong here

I figured since folks want to tell me how to spend my money they should do it here not in the shout box.

I paid $475 for the HMF kit, and it gives me the quiet core with it saving another $30. Even on a good deal the DMC duals are $680-ish. I was looking at the DASA duals which are supposed to make 55 hp minimum but they were $725 with my discount.

The FCI kit is only proven to make 1 hp more over 5400rpm. to me that's not worth $150. Ok, they can make up to 3hp at max, but i don't drag race, and just do runs, fast runs, but still. The Trinity intakes use a fake K&N so i wasn't going to use that. I also am not sure i want to run K&N so the prodesign makes it easy to get a foam filter.

The Powercommander PC5 is proven and does the same thing as the MSD so why pay more? I also had problems with MSD stuff in the past. The big winner was Dynojet is right down the street and i can have them tune it. Part of my deal with Ride Now is a tune as well which requires Dynojet.

It's nice to make the most HP but like one of my friends said when i was talking to him about parts, "$250 can buy a lot of gas". I would rather have money to ride then all my money in the ride.

now anyone who wants to can huff and puff about how i spent my money wrong....

• Like 1

I figured since folks want to tell me how to spend my money they should do it here not in the shout box.

I paid $475 for the HMF kit, and it gives me the quiet core with it saving another $30. Even on a good deal the DMC duals are $680-ish. I was looking at the DASA duals which are supposed to make 55 hp minimum but they were $725 with my discount.

The FCI kit is only proven to make 1 hp more over 5400rpm. to me that's not worth $150. Ok, they can make up to 3hp at max, but i don't drag race, and just do runs, fast runs, but still. The Trinity intakes use a fake K&N so i wasn't going to use that. I also am not sure i want to run K&N so the prodesign makes it easy to get a foam filter.

The Powercommander PC5 is proven and does the same thing as the MSD so why pay more? I also had problems with MSD stuff in the past. The big winner was Dynojet is right down the street and i can have them tune it. Part of my deal with Ride Now is a tune as well which requires Dynojet.

It's nice to make the most HP but like one of my friends said when i was talking to him about parts, "$250 can buy a lot of gas". I would rather have money to ride then all my money in the ride.

now anyone who wants to can huff and puff about how i spent my money wrong....

Thats going to be easy and it has ZERO to do with drag racing...You are misinformed and YES YOU DIDNT SPEND YOUR MONEY RIGHT! Since you decided to make a post about it I will tell you why....First off all your hp numbers you are claiming are mere pipe dreams, and sounds like something you would read in dirtwheels..With your setup I Guarantee you wont make 47-48hp at Dynojet...55hp minimum?..Are you serious..Who calculates these inflated numbers...Pro Flow, HMF, and PCv...55hp minimum...Dont get your hopes up there guy..I JUST built my friends Raptor as noted in the thread in this section. I personally bought all the parts myself so I know what they cost..I bought a brand new FCI for $150 with the Outerware, DMC Force 4 Duals for just over $500 shipped, and a MSD Blaster brand new for just a little over $200...I have paypal reciepts to prove it...The FCI is WAY better intake than a stock boot and foam filter...Guarantee it makes better power everywhere..DMC Duals are a better performing and sounding pipe than a HMF...Many dyno tests have proven duals on a Rappy 700 make better power than a single..Especially a HMF...The PCV is ONLY A Fuel PROGRAMMER...The MSD is a Fuel Programmer and You can Program the ignition curves, timing and Over rev which is HUGE in tuning and performance.Cuervo Racing just did a dyno test with the PCV+Programmable Dyna, the PC3+Programmable Dyna, and the MSD Blaster...MSD made the best curve and numbers as well as being noted as easiest to tune and install.. It has 10 different programmable maps that can be switched on the fly. The MSD is a plug and play unit so simple a caveman could install it.. Can your PCV do that? No..You need a Dynatek and between the 2 require splicing and wiring. I dont give 2 shits about the choices you made. I thought you and Mineurbiz were discussing option so I was trying to help. I didnt scroll down and see that you had already bought this stuff. If you are happy with it then what the hell do you care what I think. Ive built a couple Raptors and the numbers speak for themselves. Im not here to sh*t on anyone all I was trying to do was help. Then you make this thread and want a explanation...Well there u go!!

Edited by Sand_YFZ

I would have helped you with all of this too...I live in Vegas...Im not the sharpest knife in the box but I could have got you hooked up...I wouldnt let Ride Now work on my weed eater

Edited by Sand_YFZ

Hey Aaron, i understand you trying to help out. sorry i kinda spouted off there at you. i know you are friends with many guys here and Pete said to hit you up. I owe you a beer at the next dinner we attend together. I had a HELL of a time trying to get all this figured out and finally pulled the trigger to have my buzz killed.

The PCV is going to be the one, at least for now as i am getting that free.

I called TQS and they quoted me $590 for the duals shippped, with cores. I am guessing you paid about $540 or $550 cause you probly didn't get the cores. I Ride in Oregon as well so i need the cores and even at that i won't be at the 93db they require. The prodesign intake is a special order, and so i am stuck with that. TQS quoted $240 with box. i don't want to run without. so i am still ok with the choice for price difference. I ordered an outerwear airbox cover from TQS no lid but a little better protection. It was only $20 so worth a shot.

I was in the understanding that the PC5 did the ignition curve and stuff as well and was a more apples to apples with the MSD. I still like the idea of getting the bike tuned by Dynojet so hopefully that works out, and works. OK, i just went to the Dynojet website and they have the new PC5 that includes timing.

Ridenow won't be working on my bike, I will be doing all the work.

Aaron, these kids will have to live and learn. I guess they dont know that this stuff has been done by us and many for years, I would say all the way back to 2003 for us both! If I had insight from people who had already did it I would have saved thousands on the numerous bikes I have built throughout the years. There are so many advantages of a good combo besides peak HP that if you were to try a correctly set up bike, you would be very suprised about the all around performance and feel it will have.

WIth the stuff you bought, I would have just bought a big bore package from Trinity and called it a day, atleast you would have a Raptor putting out 65+ HP with a few bolt ons! :idiot:

Honestly that's the reality of the situation..Exactly like Sam said..I blew my money over the years on stuff that didn't work then 10 pipes, intakes, cams, paddles etc later its figured out. Guys like me spent alot of money back in the day learning what works through trial and error. The 4 stroke era started and nobody knew for sure what worked so the only way to see is buy it and cross your fingers. So if I can help someone out and avoid spending thousands I always try. I don't know everything by any means but I know a couple things..Dynojet will do a fine job tuning your Raptor, however they have the ability to tune the MSD too. They tuned my friends YFZR with the MSD. Just a FYI

Edited by Sand_YFZ

Bottom line is if you are happy with what you have then that's all that matters. Period. If anyone has any inquiries on building a YFZ , YFZR or Raptor 700 all you have to do is ask. PM me or whatever. If I dont have a answer for you I know people that will and can point you in the right direction. This hobby is expensive so if you can do it right once thats the way to go

Edited by Sand_YFZ

sorry, i ended it too quick... lol but it is plenty freeking hot that's for sure.

I just know that Aaron is respected and trusted, so i respect that and don't want to start an unneeded long battle.

the good news is... after this, i talked to Ride now and cancelled the HMF exhaust and ordered the DMC Afterburner kit. I had $510 in the HMF kit with taxes, which is a good deal (with taxes) for the HMF. I paid $590 for the DMC with quiet cores (which add $40), no tax needed, which is an aweome deal. So i am STOKED that i am getting the duals. :grin:

I am getting the new PC 5 that has the timing and stuff built in, so i will have that. sounds good to me for free.

I am glad to be a kid at almost 40 though to.. :thumb:

The 55hp number came from DASA for their dual kit. they said just the exhaust and tuner would do 55hp. Never said i beleived it, but knowing the bike would hit a dyno i figured it might be worth a try. I am prefectly happy with the DMC kit though. TQS said the DASA wasn't a good fit, and wouldn't make those numbers. I am hoping that with the DMC, prodesign KN, no lid, and PC5 i will hit about 52. from what i had seen on raptor forums the low 50s seemed to be the numbers on the big 3.

Edited by Rap_Rider

52... 55...

I don't know that I could feel the difference.

Just remember that the dude who normally leads some wicked-fast runs is riding a mostly-stock Rappy with about 1,658,312 miles on it. Like Aaron said; In the end, as long as you're happy: Who cares?

• Like 1

Pete owns the Cal Ripken "Ironman" Edition Raptor 660...Setting records for most consecutive dune trips without a breakdown lol...I remember the day Pete got that Raptor and I have owned about 6 quads since...

lol, yeah pete leads pretty fast, and i will never keep up with the cars anyway. but having cool stuff is fun, lol :)

i am hoping for the better throttle repsonse, and more power will help for Coral pink. I am sure i will ride there more in the future. I have a modding disease and can't help myself from throwing money at my toys. i am sure i am not the only one.. lol

i like to feel like i made a good or decent decision and when you are told you didn't it sucks after spending that kind of money. I am glad this all went down since i am getting the DMCs and getting them next week vs at least 2 weeks for the HMF.

I did get the silver cans and not the black.. maybe we can argue about that.. lol I do hope i get the new DMC set-up that has the tunable cans.

trying to figure out what to get is a pain in the a$$ with the internet and forums. everyone seems to always say the opposite about everything. so it's hard to know what is really true. perfect example, we are talking about exhaust, tuner, and intake, and someone brings up a big bore kit... well were did that come from??? that is a completely different thing. plus i would need a tuner, and intake and exhaust to really have a big bore kit work so i would be right back to the same parts...

Adam, I can speak for Aaron, he did a cam mod and some adjustments on Garret's 450 and it runs strong. Not looking to be king of the hill but dependibility and enough power to get out of trouble faster than you got into it is important to me. Garret is a great rider and now I am trying to get a better suspension under him but talk about large $$ wait until you put shocks, rear axle and new extended a-arms on it along with new brake lines and all the other assorted sh*t that you need to make it all work.

I had a 1995 Banshee that I bought new. Lot's of people told me after I went with pipes and extended swing arm etc that I needed suspension. I felt that I could ride pretty much with anybody so I never invested in different suspension parts.

Along comes Walter and convinces me I need 2+ a-arms with +1 forward and +4" total wider rear axle along with a set of Axis shocks. After riding my banshee hard for 9 years i wished I had done it at the very begining. More speed cause I could come into the corner harder and square it off. Amazing speed through the whoops and on the hill, so it's not all in the motor it has to get to the ground in order to be "fast"

Well spoken Terry, even if you are an old closed minded know it all like me. :rolleyes:

After over 47 yrs in the racing community in one form or another. Dirt, sand, drags, oval, stock cars etc. I have found that a driver can throw all the money he might have on all the best equipment for his ride and it still depends on the drivers skill on how fast he really goes. :usa::old:

Edited by sandawg

i have plans for suspension for sure. thinking Houser +2 +0, long travel. Might as well go long travel if i am going to spend the money for extended arms. I like the elka shocks, like the Stage 3 but it looks like Elka took them off their website, but they are still sold on ebay so not sure how that works. Might have to go with the stage 4 so i get the high/ low compression and rebound adjustments. Once again though, you talk to the next guy and he likes the Fox Floats better, even had the Elkas but says the floats are way better. the stage 4 Elka and Floats are the same retail as well. Then the next guy says the floats are bad cause the air pressure can change to heat and elevation making them have to be adjusted more... :dope: its never ending seriously... I do know that Chad has the Elkas and likes them. i am too fat to test his out anyway since he is so light and they are weight tuned. my 2 main reasons for the suspenion other then the overall, is not bottoming out when i jump, and being able to keep the bike on 4 wheels in the turns.

Tusk has the billet +2 hubs for the rear so was thinking about those, but might just have to jump to the axle. The hubs might work as a stepping stone to the axle.

i was told if you do long travel in the front and not the rear that it can make the bike feel off, so i might have to do the shock and long travel kit in the rear. hopefully i can do in stages though.

Last season was my first real season riding so i have some work to do for sure on my riding but i still like having cool parts, lol

It's going to be a year or 2 before i can do suspension, i have a wedding to pay for this year. it's a good thing my fiance doesn't read posts here, and that she really has no idea what is or isn't on the bike. so she won't notice the exhuast, as long as i don't start it up... lol

Adam, I don't know thw difference between the fox's and the elka's but look at the Axis shocks. There will never be a question if you get those. INHO they are the top of the heap. I do know someone that usually can get some special pricing on suspension components and shocks so let me know before you decide.

Terry

Adam if it makes you feel better I too didn't want to spend the extra money for the duals. They look and sound great and from what I've read they provide the best numbers. I still had asked Aaron what the next best set up was and I went with the Sparks Big Core, PCV with Auto Tune, Pro-design air kit and had Racing Dirty tune it per Aaron. I think it pulled max of 46hp to the rear wheels maybe even less but I still noticed a considerable change in performance on my bike. I am not the fastest in the line anyways so I just wanted a little more performance and I'm happy as hell with it! Don't let anyone tell you that you should not be happy with what you have. If your happy then it's all that matters.

Aaron knows his stuff in this field. I'd trust his judgement and that's why I went with his advice but I'm kinda a rookie at these things so I usually just ask those that know more than me which is almost everybody. I'm sure you will be happy with your new set up. Enjoy it!

• Like 1

... I do know that Chad has the Elkas and likes them. i am too fat to test his out anyway since he is so light and they are weight tuned.

I will say this, Nick, Pete, Steve, and Aaron will confirm that I was miserable to ride with until I put the upgraded suspension on my bike. I considerably improved because I was getting bounced all over the place. I seriously thought I made a huge mistake when I started riding my 700 because I never felt in control. I love my bike now and although I think it still might be to big for me I love it! Someone told me I made a mistake that I went with the Elkas and should have gone with something different like the Fox Floats. I usually just respond with "whatever dude, I still ride better and comfortable" and leave it at that.

• Like 1