AB 1595 please read! new side x side laws at Dumont (CA)

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't much news, but it is a very simplified update for those wondering what exactly is different for the upcoming season with the new law, confusing bills, etc.

I spoke directly to Larry Blaine of the Barstow BLM the other day and asked about the upcoming season. This is where we're at with the new rules at Dumont...

• Nothing will be changed or added to new side x side regulations until the end of this year.

• As of January 1, 2013, all side x sides (1000cc or less) will require all occupants to wear a helmet.
  • It won't be until probably JULY when we see a change or addition to the current laws regarding...
    • passengers' feet must be flat on the floor
    • seats cannot be modified or added differently from the manufacturers design

[*]This new law is only for side x sides (1000cc or less vehicles). This does not affect Jeeps or sandrails.

Larry said the BLM will be doing plenty of education regarding the new rules. I don't expect them to be super strict about enforcing this brand new law until everyone is very aware what the new requirements are. Our BLM at Dumont are MUCH more reasonable than the Glamis guys.

Hope this helps some.

• Like 1

the feet flat on the floor part is gone, and i thought they postponed the helmet law taking affect until later as well. but the feet on the floor is gone for sure .

"AB 1266 removes the language requiring passengers to be able to sit "with both feet flat on the floorboard" while restrained. This will ensure that children can continue to ride, allowing families to continue enjoying off-roading together.

This bill also delays the implementation of the provision prohibiting the use of post-manufactured seats until July 1, 2013. This will give legislators time to work on a solution that would allow operators who have safely modified their vehicles to continue riding.

Now that AB 1266 has been signed into law, my office will work on securing an author for a bill to resolve your remaining concerns. I will update you in the coming weeks on the progress of draft legislation as well as information about which legislators will be carrying the legislation next year."

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like the helmet part but in the event of a crash or rollover it would be safer. As far as the added backseat and not being able to use it seems like a manufacturer push to boost 4 seater sales. When you read the part where it says there is no provision for fixes in this case then it really looks like it. Since numerous dealers offered modified 4 seaters from brand new and now everyone would have a worthless modified vehicle which the dealers would not have to buy back. Just my 2 cents.

• 2 months later...

Funny that there were no or hardly any rangers there on the 1st, to enforce this new law!! LOL

I don't think they planned on hitting everyone hard with tickets. I spoke with Larry Blaine a month or 2 ago and he said they would try to educate everyone about the new law first. They had a construction style sign at the entrance with a message about the new law, but I think they worded it poorly. It said something about OHVs require helmets as of Jan 1st. They should have specified side x sides.

Pete, that sounds like their style of education.....now for the revenue.......

Its not far away, but at some point the rangers wont show up for work. When their pay checks bounce I doubt they will be out much.

Its pretty funny really, that they cant see that when people dont show up, they wont be needed. They are gonna work themselves out of their jobs, just like so many others.

• Like 1

Its pretty funny really, that they cant see that when people dont show up, they wont be needed. They are gonna work themselves out of their jobs, just like so many others.

funny, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't think they planned on hitting everyone hard with tickets. I spoke with Larry Blaine a month or 2 ago and he said they would try to educate everyone about the new law first. They had a construction style sign at the entrance with a message about the new law, but I think they worded it poorly. It said something about OHVs require helmets as of Jan 1st. They should have specified side x sides.

Yeah I was not meaning that they would be out there writing tickets, just more that 1st day of a new law, thought there would be more of them there.

Mike I am not raining on your parade but a simple question; Why do you think that a petition to the Federal Goverment concerning a state law would have any effect? I know the law is stupid but I somehow can't see the President or any of his staff taking away from their time f*cking everything in this country up and asking the Govenor of Kalifornia to kill an off road bill. I will be glad to sign but think it's pissing in the wind and telling ourselves it's raining. Maybe I am missing something in your thought process, if so let me know what it is.

Thanks,

Terry

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This isn't much news, but it is a very simplified update for those wondering what exactly is different for the upcoming season with the new law, confusing bills, etc.

I spoke directly to Larry Blaine of the Barstow BLM the other day and asked about the upcoming season. This is where we're at with the new rules at Dumont...

• Nothing will be changed or added to new side x side regulations until the end of this year.
  • As of January 1, 2013, all side x sides (1000cc or less) will require all occupants to wear a helmet.
  • It won't be until probably JULY when we see a change or addition to the current laws regarding...
    • passengers' feet must be flat on the floor
    • seats cannot be modified or added differently from the manufacturers design
  • This new law is only for side x sides (1000cc or less vehicles). This does not affect Jeeps or sandrails.
Larry said the BLM will be doing plenty of education regarding the new rules. I don't expect them to be super strict about enforcing this brand new law until everyone is very aware what the new requirements are. Our BLM at Dumont are MUCH more reasonable than the Glamis guys.

Hope this helps some.

Anyone have an update from my last post? So now that we all know helmets are now required in side x sides and that rule is now enforced at Dumont, what about the other parts of the new 1595 law? Like passenger's feet must be flat on the floor and the aftermarket back seats/ non-manufacture locations?