AB 1595 please read! new side x side laws at Dumont (CA)

Not being a sheep, just don't think it is a bad law either. I like riding around in the XP without a helmet, but I also do not have a valid argument against the law either. Sheep would also be someone that would agree and go with or just go with, but I am just stating what I think they will use as their means to enforce the law. I guess name calling is now where this thread has gone, rather than just discussing the law.

Serta sheep 12 out

Feel free to continue with the name calling!!

I agree mineurbiz. Not really cool. I guess my joke about shutup and wear a helmet was taken seriously. Then I get flamed on that because I used a smiley to try to express it was a joke! Oh yeah...I'm way younger. Yeah whatever.

I simply bumped this topic to get some updated facts about the law and now it's a discussion about political views with a less than friendly tone. I still don't understand what Joe's or Neal's problem is with the law. Is it the helmet requirement? Is it the seats? I'm thinking it's the fact that it's a NEW law.

• Like 1

Pete, I think as we all should be is that this law was shoved down our throats with no OHV input requested or wanted. Since when do manufacturers get to tell us what we can do after we buy their products? At least that is what I perceive to be the issue but i might have missed something along the way. I might have been trying to adjust my new helmet:)

Truth be told I don't agree with the law either but in my opinion it was written and imposed on us because our own kind allowed our SxS's to be driven by those with little to no experience (kids, etc.) or brains which in turn ended up with these same people being injury or death statistics. Because of this and because some can't self police themselves we are forced to be policed.

If you notice my avatar and signature, I also own and ride a 3 wheeled death trap that was deemed to be unstable/unsafe by the feds in the late 80's due to the same issues I listed above. Laws like this will continue to be imposed on all of us until we as humans all do ourselves in through self destruction or learn from lessons past. My guess is that the self destruction and laws will continue to prevail.

The LAW has passed, there really isn't anything anyone can do right now, we just need to "shut up and color". Until someone actually tries to fight and get it removed or re-worded, we all just have to wear helmets or go other places outside of Cali. (which I am happy to).

Well I sent a letter to the California department of parks and recreation asking for clarification on specific parts of CVC section 500. If and when I get a positive (for us) reply, my next step is to take that information and send a letter to San Bernardino county Sheriff's office. If that turns out positive (for us), the BLM will get a letter next mostly to inform them of the reading/clarification. Basically I'm going for clarification of the law itself and enforcement options from the cops. Let's see what happens.

I'd much rather receive a ticket for not wearing a helmet than have CARB fine me for having a non compliant motor... You would essentially be arguing that you modified the manufactures certified motor. Do a search on fines handed out by carb, tucker rocky being one of the latest... :beerpint:

I for one agree with Joe and Neal.

I don't even have a machine that qualify s except my sand rail (which crazy enough more HO etc ) and I don't have to wear a helmet?

Anyway the way the law reads any machine over 1000 CC is exempt. Period!! Not from manufacture etc. that's NOT what it it says. The law is the law! Good or bad!!!!

I for one say Joe and Neal you have a great argument.

I agree too but you wouldn't catch me in a SxS without a helmet....too many people have gotten hurt from rollovers and it will happen just a matter of time.

And yes it will happen in a rail as well but you have may more head room in a rail, yes you should probably wear one in a rail as well but not legally required yet.

I'd much rather receive a ticket for not wearing a helmet than have CARB fine me for having a non compliant motor... You would essentially be arguing that you modified the manufactures certified motor. Do a search on fines handed out by carb, tucker rocky being one of the latest... :beerpint:

I will have to ask our Tucker Rocky rep about that. This a whole different can of worms.

Wow. What a money machine they have going. That is a lot of money to be collecting. :( I will be double checking on anything engine related that we send to California.

Edited by Mike @ GTP OFF ROAD

Here is part of an email I got back from the Parks department. Didn't think I would get a response back so quickly. I left out names and such.

" Neal,

Great questions. We have been receiving many questions about these new laws, many of which are on the OHV website under the Q&A sections. Your questions have not been specifically addressed yet. I will discuss this with my chain of command and get back to you next week. If you have any other questions please let me know.

I will be in touch,"

Very interested how they reply.

I personally started wearing a helmet in my SXS a year before they made it law. I am happy I did it on my own because I would most likely not want to do it if it was not my decision to do so.I can's afford to loose anymore brain cells if i were to smack my head. :idea:

I guess I should mention that I did not ask about helmets. That would be later once I get their read on the law. My questions were very specific on the legal aspects. I personally think a helmet is a good thing but feel freedom of choice is more important. I can't change the law. I can accept it, but so should law enforcement if it turns out aspects of it are more favorable to us then they thought. Changing the law is a whole different thread and requires effort and a lot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd post the official update over here as well in case anyone came up on this thread wondering about the update.

Great News - AB 1595 Update

We are excited to finally announce that the Governor has signed SB 234 which is the fix to AB 1595! It should go into effect immediately. The American Sand Association has been instrumental in working with Senator Walters' office on this issue. Even though this only effects vehicles made in 2013 or earlier, it helps all ROV users who have spent money on their SxS back seat modifications before AB 1595 passed. Please help us spread the word by reposting this and sharing with your fellow SxS users.

-ASA

• 1 month later...

I finally got a reply from the park department on the questions I presented them. Seems I either stumped them or they don't want to admit to my position. Instead of giving me their answer, they sent it out to the "originators" for their intent. I replied stating that the law is very clear, the law is written as an either is or isn't type of text. I pointed out that the state senator didn't write this law but copied the verbiage word for word from the lobbyists representing the manufacturers letter. Also that there was no input sought from any off road organizations. I also replied with examples of real world people who are affected.

So, still in progress.

• Like 1

What if you got a reply that read like this, "Thank you for your concern. Now shutup and put a helmet on." - with NO smiley or "LOL" at the end. :dayum:

If they followed it up with a "Just Sayin" then I would be OK with it. LOL :rolleyes:

Edited by mineurbiz