Toyhauler towed with 1/2 ton?

chris&hol

Hello all, I have a opportunity to pick up a weekend warrior 23' fs2300 for a fair price. My concern is id be towing with. 2011 GMC K1500 1/2 ton 6.2L motor. I know most people shy away from towing haulers with 1/2 tons but have heard of a few doing so. My truck has great towing power but just concerned about overloading the hitch and or overall truck capacity. Weekend warrior claims 5600lbs dry, that seems a little lite and hard to believe. Im predicting with my 4 seater and loaded wet to be around 8000. But could be way off on that. I would be greatful for feedback on Any experiances anyone has had and or accessories used to benifit there towing with 1/2 tons. Lookin forward to another awesome safe season. Thank you. Chris & holly.

A 6.2 will tow a 23 ft toy hauler with ease in my opinion. Try and keep the weight down like filling up with water and gas near your destination instead of filling all that up before you take off. I towed a 21ft with 3 quads and gear in a 5.7 Tundra and a 7" lift with 37's multiple times. Try and get a brake controller installed becasuse that will slow her down much easier and check tire pressure and tire load #'s on the truck. Maybe install some Firestone airbags for a better tow and make sure to get a sway bar with the hitch.

Your truck should be fine with that trailer. Load distributing hitch, and away you go. Your truck's tow rating should be up near 10k

The real question is if you're planning to stuff the four seater in your avatar into that trailer. FS23 has about 10-11' of cargo.

that's pretty much the trailers I have been looking at towing with my F150. my truck has a rating of 9300, 3:73 gear, 6 speed tranny on the 5.0. I figure if i can be in the 8k range i will be ok and just take it easy on the bigger hills. My truck came with a tow package and the brake controller built in. It's the bad thing about this new 5.0, it's more of a mustang, rev motor vs a trucker torque motor :( I am only towing 2 sports quads at this point with no plans on anything else yet, or until i can't ride the quad anymore.

I would have the same concern about fitting a 4 seater in there... seems too small of a trailer.

Edited by Rap_Rider

In perfect conditions, you are fine towing that light of a trailer as long as it's not loaded to the max. But If you want to start packing the crap out of it and loading a 4 seater into it, you are pushing the limits of that truck. Add the possibility of bad weather, tire failure, people cutting out in front of you when your braking distance is limited, heavy winds, etc etc and it gets very dangerous. Every single person I have ever known who started towing a toyhauler with a half ton truck, ended up buying a 3/4 or 1 ton within a year. I can count about 7 or 8 people in which this was the case.

A 6.2 will tow a 23 ft toy hauler with ease in my opinion. Try and keep the weight down like filling up with water and gas near your destination instead of filling all that up before you take off. I towed a 21ft with 3 quads and gear in a 5.7 Tundra and a 7" lift with 37's multiple times. Try and get a brake controller installed because that will slow her down much easier and check tire pressure and tire load #'s on the truck. Maybe install some Firestone airbags for a better tow and make sure to get a sway bar with the hitch.

Try and get a brake controller? It's not an option. It's required. Every tow rig up to a one ton truck requires a brake controller in order to tow that much weight safely.

I had a 1/2 ton chevy with the 4.8 baby v-8, and I towed 9-10k lbs. in a 28 footer for years. 2 things you will need:

1. weight distributing hitch ( I have one I'll sell you)

2. the brake controller...agreed, it's not an option

It can be a lot to control, with all of the already stated factors( side wind was my worst enemy @ 28'); but as long as you don't drive like it's a freakin nascar race, you should be fine

Wow, thank you for the feedback, 10/4 on the brake controller. Ive drove company trucks with these installed and it was a defenite noticeability. Also LMAO about stuffing my avatar 4 seater in it. Yes ive allready confirmed the stove will be sacrafised, if anyone needs on it will be free to a good home. My car is just over 13' and i pretty sure the sink can be spared. Anyone reccomend a towing supply store? Andydew i also had a 4.8 in a 07 k1500 which i really liked other then its lack of towing capabilities. Comming home from dumont out of baker with a open car hauler, the first hill about killed it, 3rd gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear then finally 2nd all the way up. Tranny temp went to 210 and made me nervous as hell. Wife and i said enough, we need more power but i just didnt want the stiff ride eveyone i know was complaining about with there 3/4 & 1 tons. Pm me details and cost on the sway control. Thank you again for the feedback!

Wow, thank you for the feedback, 10/4 on the brake controller. Ive drove company trucks with these installed and it was a defenite noticeability. Also LMAO about stuffing my avatar 4 seater in it. Yes ive allready confirmed the stove will be sacrafised, if anyone needs on it will be free to a good home. My car is just over 13' and i pretty sure the sink can be spared. Anyone reccomend a towing supply store? Andydew i also had a 4.8 in a 07 k1500 which i really liked other then its lack of towing capabilities. Comming home from dumont out of baker with a open car hauler, the first hill about killed it, 3rd gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear then finally 2nd all the way up. Tranny temp went to 210 and made me nervous as hell. Wife and i said enough, we need more power but i just didnt want the stiff ride eveyone i know was complaining about with there 3/4 & 1 tons. Pm me details and cost on the sway control. Thank you again for the feedback!

I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me do the same mod on my little WW! You gotta post up pics if/when you do that. I'd love to keep my trailer and be able to throw a buggy in there.

I'm not 100% sure it's normal, but even my allison gets up near 200 degrees when towing just under 10K going up the passes. 210 doesn't sound horrible in a 1500, but maybe one of the GMGoodwrench fellers can chime in...

My tranny sits normally about 197*-201*. even when towing my little Echo 2 space trailer. I can't see 210* being that bad... but i don't know. I am towing to Oregon August 20th, so I will have a better idea, but my trailer only weighs about 1400lbs as is right now. big difference from a 8000lb hauler.

My tranny sits normally about 197*-201*. even when towing my little Echo 2 space trailer. I can't see 210* being that bad... but i don't know. I am towing to Oregon August 20th, so I will have a better idea, but my trailer only weighs about 1400lbs as is right now. big difference from a 8000lb hauler.

My Tundra has a Transmission cooler and Tow Haul mode which lowers the gear ratio and slows the rig down on decent without hitting the brakes too much. Great for towing.

My truck has the Tow/haul mode, and a cooler as well. I don't use the tow haul mode much, so far just up the pass going to Dumont. My trailer is really light. The Ford instrcutions say (yes I read them) you should only use it up hills or down. and only down when you want to control the speed. I have it off coming down hill and run the MPG up as much as I can.

Some day I will tow Something heavier, If not a hauler then an enclosed trailer with some ammenities in it.

My truck has the Tow/haul mode, and a cooler as well. I don't use the tow haul mode much, so far just up the pass going to Dumont. My trailer is really light. The Ford instrcutions say (yes I read them) you should only use it up hills or down. and only down when you want to control the speed. I have it off coming down hill and run the MPG up as much as I can.

Some day I will tow Something heavier, If not a hauler then an enclosed trailer with some ammenities in it.

Exactly, let me say after duning all day its gotta be great to go back to camp and take a shower! And lay in a actual bed.

• 3 weeks later...

You'll be fine towing, the key to 1/2 ton towing is to have the trailer hitch height correct, loaded forward correctly, and the brakes in good working order (cleaned and adjusted often). And like others have said, load with fuel and water when you're close. Half tons aren't as forgiving compared to the 3/4 and 1 tonners!

I tow everywhere with my 1/2 ton 1997 Expedition 5.4l on 37" tires, and 9 inches of lift. My hauler is an 07' 23 ft. Attitude Ft. Sleeper with fiberglass sides. I usually load 3 quads inside or my Suzuki Samurai by itself.