want to upgrade the electronic/cdi on my 70

Island Chain Racing

Alohas guys...Ok this is what's going on with my blue 70. Its a 88 BB kit w/ parts.,cam,carb,etc, and. I installed that crappy electronic ignition from ebay (malaysia). I know, you get what you pay for. My curiosity was killing me....lol. anyways it finally dyed. Does anyone know of a quality set up that is out on the market that you think mite work with a honda 70 motor? Thnx in advance......Joey D

I am currently running the CDI from malaysia on 3 machines and haven't had a problem with them running. I bought the cheap ignition for my stocker (no adavnce) just to get rid of the points and it runs like a champ

• 3 months later...

Ok guys, we now have another option other then the malaysia cdi, and its way cheeper....DIY...I did the R&D. Ill start the totural. But im gonna need to remove the new set up cause its in my 88. I took it on a killer road test and it works hella good. But In a nut shell,

*I picked up a blown pit bike motor just for the electronics (make sure the stator plate is the same style as the ATC type)

*remove the pull start cradle and the fly wheel. Your gonna need a fly wheel puller 2012-11-25_14-42-06_624.jpg

*ok now install everything from the pit bike. Electronic stator plate, CDI, coil, kill swtich,

*next you gonna need to cut the rivets off both of the fly wheels to remove the center section.

This is a pic of the stock 70 fly wheel. One with the center section removed and other not.

2012-11-25_14-43-32_566.jpg

2012-11-25_14-43-53_242.jpg

* this next pic is the center section removed from the pit bike fly wheel

2012-11-25_14-42-27_517.jpg

2012-11-25_14-41-17_907.jpg

* this next part I don't have pics sorry. But your gonna need to mill down the stock center section so it don't interfere with the stator plate coils.

* once that is done. take that moded center and weld it to the pit bike fly wheel. (Make sure you weld it in the smae location or you'll never get it to start.

* weld the pull start cradle to the new fly wheel.

*do the points cover mod to fit the new elec stator plate.... dratv_2237_41710203.jpg

that's pretty much it. Sorry I don't have step by step pics but if anyone in vegas wants to do this upgrade to a stock honda atc motor, Ill be more then happy to do it again so we can take step by step

pics.....hope this helps. thnx guys

Edited by Island Chain Racing