September 8th Sat. Sub-group meeting

ynot

The Sub-Group that we hold at least once every year on a Saturday is coming up on September 8th 2012 @10:00 AM in Barstow. The meeting is at the BLM Barstow field office. Please make an effort to attend as all the board members are taking their Saturday to be there for you to talk to and ask questions of.

The turnout needs to be a good one as it does cost BLM for Saturday employee time, open up their building etc. On top of that the board looks forward to the users attending and letting us know their thoughts both good and bad.

I will be going and anyone from Vegas that want's to carpool we should start getting that arranged now.

Thanks and hope to see you there.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I believe so but you should probably call as it is a Sat and who know's if they will accept funds on a "off" day

BTW;I am not going to be attending the meeting due to the death of a very good friend of mine who I have been camping with for 10-12 years with at Dumont. I will be going to Victorville on Sat. for the service right about the time of the meeting. I apoligize for not attending but please, please anybody who can make tthe effort and go. This is your chance to talk, voice needs, concerns in a face to face meeting with the group who help the BLM decide what and where to spend your fee user monies . We also get a first info on oncoming projects and issues that will be handeled during the upcoming season. There have been a lot of changes inside of the Barstow BLM offfice and no major issues thus far but I woud want to be in on this meeting to see what may come down the line.

If we don't get somewhat of a decent turnout I cannot guarantee any further Saturday meetings! It's plain and simple that we meet on Sat to talk to YOU, if you don't show then it looks like you don't care and they won't do anymore Sat. meetings.

SO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you meet Connie. She last camped with us during President's day.

Good luck on the HOA thing I wouldn't want that job on a bet!

Thanks for the thoughts. She will be missed.

Terry

I attended the meeting, was the ony person that showed up from the public....Of course the new passes are ready for purchase, can be obtained through all the normal channels, will also be at the sand show next weekend. Attendance was up from the previous year by aprox 10k visitors. They are carrying over a total of about 137k this year, but nothing is final until the end of the month. Larry informed everyone all the projects were completed over the summer, post and cable, visitor center and a different communication device that allows all the emergency services to talk to each other, which will provide better response time. They also discussed some points about possible reducing the fees and passes next year. They would like to have basically 1 pass for the entire time, get rid of the holiday/nonholiday one. Also as was suggested from an earlier in the year meeting, to allow a second vehicle sticker/pass for the families that show up later. We all know alot of us head out a couple days earlier than our families. That second vehicle would not be allowed to bring in any toys with them. Just be able to get through the gates and meet up with your family/group/etc.... They need to have a public meeting/comment period, I suggested they do it at Dumont where I believe ALOT more users would show up!!!! They initially set a date of Oct 27th at 10am Dumont Visitor Center. That's Halloween weekend peeps, we need to show up in force. They will provide either a survey/comment card when you come through the gate. Just need to make sure you fill it out and drop it back off Sat morning, Randy will be talking Sat morning at the visitor center, as I'm sure Larry Blain will as well. Show up and find out what all has been done for you the user out at the dunes on that Sat. Overall the meeting was pretty short and they were ready to hear some public comment, just didn't have alot...Semper Fi, Woody

Edited by wsky70

Mike, thank you for the report and taking the time to go to the meeting. I am stepping on my soapbox now;

You have got to be kidding me! One person in the whole DDR world and outside of DDR made it to a special Saturday meeting, I mean really? You each have more money wrapped up in toys than most have in there bank accounts and yet you allow people (BLM) (Sub-group) and others to control your place to use these toys most of the time? I am afraid I just don't understand it. I have been involved in the sub-group and before that the TRT for about 8 years now. Between John Daglish and I we have been fighting for your right to have a Saturday meeting(s) during the year so the group could get input from YOU the user. ONE person shows up and that is supposed to show the group that we as Dumont users give a sh*t about what goes on out there. I am as frustrated as I can be. I don't know if the fuel and time I spend to attend the regular meetings is even worth it anymore.

You seem to take the area for granted but don't realize that at the whim of a bureaucrat in Washington DC or Sacramento it could all go away.

We have been pushing along with the BLM to lower the fees and re-do the pass system to allow cheaper access and allow you to bring a car or another vehicle in (as long as it has no toys in it coming or going). So according to Mike and the post that I got from Randy Banis you get some more chances to give us your input. They are listed below as the next BLM Sub-group meetings and for God's sake get off your a$$es and attend.

Ok, I am off my soap box now.

here are the meeting dates;

"Larry described more than one instance where Dumont's outmoded holiday fee structure is actually costing the fee program a bothersome sum of money. At the same time, I've commited myself to working with the DAC's ISDRA Subgroup and the BLM to help move forward an urgent fee proposal for the ISDRA."

Therefore, please note the following upcoming meeting dates that were set or acknowledged by the Subgroup on Saturday:

- Dumont Subgroup Special Public Meeting at the Dumont Dunes Visitors Center, Saturday, October 27, 2012, 10 AM

- Dumont Subgroup Special Meeting to discuss fee proposal, incl. public comments received, Barstow Field Office, Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 10 AM

- Dumont Subgroup regular meeting, Barstow Field Office, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10 AM

Edited by ynot

Terry, I wrote down for the meeting on Nov 13th, the time was going to be at 130pm...at least that's what they said at the time...SF Woody

We can clarify that at the Dumont meeting at Halloween. But usual time has always been 10:00 AM.

Got this from Randy Banis who is on the sub-group and the chair for the DAC (Desert Advisorary Council). Apparently BLM has a full plate so the sub group is looking at post poning the 2 special meetings called for Halloween weekend at Dumont and another in Nov. at the BLM office. Here is Randy's e-mail and I will keep you updated as it unfolds.

Terry

Hi everyone,

This email is an attempt to get the horses back in the barn for a while still.

The Subgroup's recommended timeline for advancing the Dumont Dunes fee modification proposal received considerable attention from BLM yesterday. The BLM takes fee proposals very seriously and such actions require review and attention at virtually all levels in the organization. Although the Dumont Subgroup family is prepared to undertake its role in the fee proposal review process, the higher-up in the BLM simply do not have room among their current priorities to front burner a revised business plan and fee program according to our proposed timeline.

In short, if we were to hold our public meeting in Dumont Dunes next month, there would be nothing from the BLM for the public to actually review.

However, as a result of our meeting I've been assured that the issue is being discussed, and the higher-ups are reaquainting themselves with the previous fee modification proposal. They have again reached out to the RRAC's coordinators and confirmed that they are prepared to call a meeting when there are actual proposals before them to consider.

Therefore, I urge our postponing indefinitely the Saturday, October 27 public meeting at Dumont Dunes, and the Subgroup public meeting on Tuesday, November 13.

The December 1st DAC meeting and the February 12th Dumont Subgroup meeting remain scheduled.

I'm sorry for the back-peddle, but I'll leave it to our BLM representatives should they wish to shed additional light on the subject.

Thank you.

Randy Banis