NEW 2006 YFZ450 Problems

crd450

Just bought my 2006 yfz450 on Saturday night. :laughoff: Rode it on Sunday and had 5 out of the 7 bolts holding the left cover on fall out :shocked2: and had oil all over everything. Also found 2 bolts loose behind the starter idler gear :laughing: It was an easy fix but am going to call the dealer and see if they want me to bring it in. Hopefully no dirt or anything got in. A lot to spend on a bike and have something as stupid as bolts falling out on the first ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Other than these 2 set backs the bike was fast as hell and ran awesome! Does anyone no about a twist throttle for the new 06? Checked on the internet but nothing. Dirt Wheels talked about drilling and tapping the carb for the dirt bike throttle, but would like something a little easier.

I had a similar problem to this on Saturday with my 05 YFZ, the 2 case bolts to the upper left of the clutch cover were just missing...have no clue how long, but this is the first time I saw oil spewed everywhere so it had to have been on the Thanksgiving trip...regardless...I wasn't too happy that two case bolts just fell the hell out....

it wasn't 5 by anymeans...but just as frustrating...especially when it happens out at Dumont!!!

hopefully this won't be an ongoing problem!!!!

one word Lock-Tight.. :D

I hear ya, but someone should've told that to the boners who put these bikes together....no reason I should have to go to every damn case bolt on the bike and loctite it....that's just :laughoff:

and dammit Steveo...I don't wanna hear anything about buying a Honda!! I have one and it tows my Yamaha just fine!!! :laughing:

it seems like those bolts at the starter gear are a common problem on the 06 i have seen many postings on different sites about the exact same problem. twist throttles? i have read articles and talked to different shops for a year now and the only safe way from what i read and was told is going with the factory yamaha twist. about a $120.00 in parts at yamaha plus you need to buy the special tap 12mm x 1.00. or watch ebay for yamaha twist throttles i just paid $25.00 for a new unused yz assembly. by safe i mean because of the throttle shutdown that you disable when using anybody elses twist throttle if your bike goes wide open guess what BOOOOOOM :blink: . atv scene did an article on kory ellis's race bike and about half way down they go into detail about why and how the fcr carb works www.atvscene.com/evaluations/project-ellis-yfz-03.htm i am in no way saying i am an expert on this just what i found in researching what i wanted to do hope it helps.

it seems like those bolts at the starter gear are a common problem on the 06 i have seen many postings on different sites about the exact same problem. twist throttles? i have read articles and talked to different shops for a year now and the only safe way from what i read and was told is going with the factory yamaha twist. about a $120.00 in parts at yamaha plus you need to buy the special tap 12mm x 1.00. or watch ebay for yamaha twist throttles i just paid $25.00 for a new unused yz assembly. by safe i mean because of the throttle shutdown that you disable when using anybody elses twist throttle if your bike goes wide open guess what BOOOOOOM :unsure: . atv scene did an article on kory ellis's race bike and about half way down they go into detail about why and how the fcr carb works www.atvscene.com/evaluations/project-ellis-yfz-03.htm i am in no way saying i am an expert on this just what i found in researching what i wanted to do hope it helps.

Thanks for the info on the twist throttle. Don't want my motor blowing. I am going to start looking for the dirtbike throttle. All I have ever had on my quads are twist throttles but the thumb will do for now.

:unsure:

Poor guy, he came to my house after the first ride. I thought he was going to cry, funny thing is, he didn't even notice the missing bolts. I said, Hey man, i think i see the problem. Damn Montclair Yamaha. I think they should buy you a 30 pack and a new engine.

I couldn't really see anything looking down from the drivers seat, I thought they were all sunk in because the only 2 bolts left were the ones on the bottom of the cover. Stupid Yamaha. :happydrunks: Good heads up by Ocean 03. :unsure:

TYPICAL 2 wheeler twist throttles are twin cable push pull type... Typical ATV Throttle is a Single cable... And for some reason i have never heard of a saftey thing inside of these carbs that it will shut the motor off at continued operation at WOT... makes no sense... So just look up motion pro and get thier kit.. :D Works wonders..

TYPICAL 2 wheeler twist throttles are twin cable push pull type... Typical ATV Throttle is a Single cable... And for some reason i have never heard of a saftey thing inside of these carbs that it will shut the motor off at continued operation at WOT... makes no sense... So just look up motion pro and get thier kit.. :D Works wonders..

typical 4 STROKE 2 wheeler throttle cables are twin push pull type. All 2 stroke 2 wheelers I've seen are just one cable. Either way, twist throttle is the way to go. Motion Pro should have one out there. :unsure:

like i said read the article on kory ellis's bike and it explains why a single cable aftermarket is not safe. the factory thumb has electronic sensors once you remove it there is no fail safe and no motion pro would not verify with me when i called them that if i put the kit they offer on would i still have the t.o.r.s. operational from yamaha

OK.....

he YFZ's stock thumb throttle assembly is controlled with a single throttle cable that directly controls the up and down movement of the throttle slide. According to Yamaha one of the challenges of utilizing this high performance carb was the safety factor in case of a stuck throttle situation. The YZ twist throttle combats this potential problem by having a separate throttle cable that pulls the slide back down when the twist throttle is turned back to neutral. On the YFZ, which as you know uses a thumb throttle, there is no way to utilize a secondary throttle cable. With that said, the stock YFZ uses an electronic version of Yamaha's patented T.O.R.S. (Throttle Override System). This system monitors both the thumb throttle and carb slide positions. As long as they are in sync everything is great. However, if by chance you let off the throttle and the slide stays open, the system shuts down the engine automatically to prevent a stuck throttle situation.

The above explanation is why you don't want to mess with the stock thumb throttle system unless you prefer to switch to a twist throttle like I do. If so, you will be disabling the TORS system and should run Yamaha's dual throttle cable system found on the YZ450F. By all means, don't run a single twist aftermarket throttle cable! Yamaha's double cable system is added safety insurance that you don't want to go without anytime you ride. Take advantage of Yamaha's safety advancements and install the Yamaha stock YZ assembly and cable -- if not for your own safety do it for the safety of others on the track with you! To install the YZ cable properly, you'll need to drill and tap the secondary hole on the YFZ's throttle body to allow the ability to use the push-pull YZ cable.

NOW from what i read... that a instead of a DUAL cable throttle which has the helping return cable to prevent a stuck slide... yamaha decided to put a little mechanisim in the thumb throttle that if the slide is open and the throttle is returned that it will automatically shut down... Using the DUAL cable setup off of a YZF450 (2 wheeler) w/ the dual cable you can safely go about this.. The SINGLE cable twist throttles I.E. Motion pro dont have this little feature built into it..

NOW... YES you can use motion pros single cable twist throttle and it will work just fine but you loose that nifty little electronic feature that shuts down the bike incase of a stuck slide.. Or you can just go buy a YZ 2wheeler throttle assembly w/ the dual cables and not worry about it...

ok so maybe the motor wouldnt go boom but why take a chance. so if the electronic gizmo is shutting down the motor because the slide is stuck that would mean unless the slide unsticks itself and you are out say 20 miles from home on a ride or in the bottom of the super bowl your bike would not restart ? i was told by a yamaha shop that there is no spring in the slide to return it like most conventional carbs, i dont know this for sure because i havent had mine apart yet. he also said thats part of the reason why most people that race end up spending lots more money and buying a regular carb for performance also. i just feel its weird when an aftermarket company makes something for any vehicle and it is messing with a safety device that they possibly inherently disable and cant confirm that what they made is still just as safe. but hey to each his own it is somebody elses bike i was just trying to pass on a little safety info on what i had found .

The only time the slide will stick is if you start dorkin with the throttle stop... If the slide gets pulled up further than its supposed to then yes it can hang and yes it has happend on 2 wheelers 426's specifically on wr's Reason being is when yamaha manufactured the WR it came with this rediculously long throttle stop screw only allowing like half a twist of throttle where as the yz's has the full motion... NOW that being said the most common fix was pull the screw out and chop off what wasnt needed... well a few people cut them toooo short and resulted in the slide hanging up because it went up too far... even WITH the double throttle cable there was nothign they could do cuz it was jammed on a lip up in there.. HONESTLY w/ these carbs i would feel safe running the single cable twist throttle... or you can go get yourself a double cable... whatever floats your boat... it will be fine either way.