more wastefull spending

i know its contraversial when you complain about LEO's . however i feel it needs to be mentiomed . let me start with i am not a drug user. all that know me know this to be obviously true. With that said i do not hold it against others that do ( to a certain point) you start driving the dunes on drugs and putting others at risk your a retard perioud end.

A drug dog at Dumont? all i see is a terrible waste of limited recourses. When you see other needed things not being adressed out there. yet they find the time to drag out a drug dog, pay the officer overtime to work that duty is a serious waste of funds. that money comes out of our pockets. whether in taxes or land use fee's it still comes out of our pockets. Does anybody recall junkies. hanging out down there ?? or people hanging out on the corners selling drugs ?? did dumont turn into a drug hub for the cartells ??

was there some sort of study done or statistical ananlysis done that points to drugs being a primary cause of accidents??

who are the complete and utter morons in charge of the blm.

they dont have the money to water the entrance road or vendors row but they have money for a drug dog, and why does it take 10 officers to hang out with that 1 drug dog down at the entrance. Not withstanding our constitutional rights being yet infringed upon again.

San Bernardino just had to file bankruptcy yet there are the sheriffs out there in there buggies . do we need them on FEDERAL land ?? there are real problems in our cities . mayby we would be better served by getting in there patrol cars and stopping some real crime. not finding ways to harass middle class citizens trying to unwind.

anywase let me finish with saying the blm did a fine job with the camp racers. much more mellow than days past. i appreciate the blms presence and there efforts to provide life saving help. this is not the officers in the trenches fault. fellow duners that have the time to voice opinion in the blm meetings may consider voicing this concern.

• Like 1

the drug dog is not new to dumont, but maybe isn't there much.

Years ago, before I had even my u-Haul truck to pull my very first vending trlr, the dog was there.

Some cop was arresting a guy that had pulled up to buy a hose clamp from me.

That cop called for help because the gyy he was arresting was not alone. 4 or 5 cop cars and other leo's came.

One, a short guy (it's always been short guys) with a dog was standing around until they gave him the nod. He searched the guys truck and the dog hit on something.

After all that, they short guy decided he wanted to sniff my trlr. He told me when he walked the dog around my trlr 'he hit on it' He asked me if I minded letting the dog in.

I should have emphatically said no screw you and your dog I have rights. Instead I said go ahead.

They both sniffed and looked and found nothing of course, but it was the feeling it gave me that stays to this day.

It was a violation, I'm sure, of my rights somehow, but this little s..t leo felt powerful.

The moral of the story is, it will only get worse and when it does keep your cool.

I wrote in another thread that I was at comp hill Sat night and was approached by two characters dressed in black asking if I had any pot. Having never been into drugs of any kind, I gave them a strange look and stood there for a second. I told them no, I don't smoke. They actually questioned me and asked if I knew anyone who had any. I again told them no. None of my friends smoke. I tend not to hang around with drug people. We don't have much in common. I finally turned my back on them and they walked on down the line. I just thought they were weird, but friends of mine who overheard the whole thing told me they thought they were undercover.

I never knew there was such a big drug problem at Dumont. I always figured druggies would spend their money on drugs, not sand toys.

I did not go to Dumont this weekend but have read about the "Enforcement Issue" I called Larry Blaine @ BLM to find out what was up as this isn't the norm for Dumont. He told me that San Bernardo S.O. decided to do this without even notifying the BLM which is their right to do. Apparently they were looking for drugs and apparently found a pretty good supply of them in several vehicles that the K-9 hit on. I don't understand it but if your going to bring drugs to federal land then you may get popped, that's just a sign of the times I guess. My understanding is that they also recovered a stolen vehicle(not sure what kind) and there were several citations issued.

There was NO fee demo money used for this operation so we as duners did not spend any of our fee money for this. This was a County operation and those that are upset about a waste of assets in that county need to complain to the SO or board of county commissioners. He also told me that all his officers were in uniform and marked vehicles. That does not mean that the SO may have had undercover guys out there.

There were 8200 vehicles that went through the gate, if you take that x 3.5 per vehicle thats about 25,000 Plus people in a small area. That's about the size of some towns in San Bernardino county so having extra LEO's on a holiday weekend should not be a surprise to anybody.

On the good side there was only one transport by ambulance and 9 total medical calls, 6 of which were broken arms. All in all that is a pretty small amount of calls for service for a 3 day weekend and 25K + people. I hope this answers your questions about what happened out there over the weekend. Also a side note there was about 24% fewer vehicles/people than last year. What that means to me is that the economy is not getting any better and is still sliding and making it difficult for people to spend money on OHV use.

Terry

• Like 3

I heard that blm and the dog made a huge bust out there this weekend. Need to confirm with some LEO contacts, but I think they are doing a good job managing and keeping the trash outta Dumont.

There was a large supply of OXYCONTIN taken out

• Like 1

Also a side note there was about 24% fewer vehicles/people than last year. What that means to me is that the economy is not getting any better and is still sliding and making it difficult for people to spend money on OHV use.

Terry

Could be the case, but I think it's also likely that the split weekends played into it. Economy isn't great by any means, but I don't think it's 25% worse than last year.

I know that's not the case for everybody, and I'm not trying to start a debate about specific examples, just trying to see a different angle.

I have a feeling that those Police were tipped off. They may have come across some people that were just Medical users while they were there. But I am sure they were looking for those pills. Cops are not dumb I am sure they were walking around asking groups that met that profile. I am sure it started out with “hey gotta joint”. Right or wrong it is what it is… My family & I do not use drugs so ask me for a joint all you want. Although I agree I would lose my cool if I had some kid (cop) up my A$$ with his dog wanting to check my stuff. The man with Badge has the power. So as much as I hate it. It is Yes Sir… But come Monday I will be on the phone I pay my taxes and I vote..

I heard that blm and the dog made a huge bust out there this weekend. Need to confirm with some LEO contacts, but I think they are doing a good job managing and keeping the trash outta Dumont.

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2,452 posts

• Interests:Duning, camping, etc, etc.
  • Name:Terry

Posted Today, 05:01 PM

I did not go to Dumont this weekend but have read about the "Enforcement Issue" I called Larry Blaine @ BLM to find out what was up as this isn't the norm for Dumont. He told me that San Bernardo S.O. decided to do this without even notifying the BLM which is their right to do. Apparently they were looking for drugs and apparently found a pretty good supply of them in several vehicles that the K-9 hit on.

I did not go to Dumont this weekend but have read about the "Enforcement Issue" I called Larry Blaine @ BLM to find out what was up as this isn't the norm for Dumont. He told me that San Bernardo S.O. decided to do this without even notifying the BLM which is their right to do. Apparently they were looking for drugs and apparently found a pretty good supply of them in several vehicles that the K-9 hit on. I don't understand it but if your going to bring drugs to federal land then you may get popped, that's just a sign of the times I guess. My understanding is that they also recovered a stolen vehicle(not sure what kind) and there were several citations issued.

There was NO fee demo money used for this operation so we as duners did not spend any of our fee money for this. This was a County operation and those that are upset about a waste of assets in that county need to complain to the SO or board of county commissioners. He also told me that all his officers were in uniform and marked vehicles. That does not mean that the SO may have had undercover guys out there.

There were 8200 vehicles that went through the gate, if you take that x 3.5 per vehicle thats about 25,000 Plus people in a small area. That's about the size of some towns in San Bernardino county so having extra LEO's on a holiday weekend should not be a surprise to anybody.

On the good side there was only one transport by ambulance and 9 total medical calls, 6 of which were broken arms. All in all that is a pretty small amount of calls for service for a 3 day weekend and 25K + people. I hope this answers your questions about what happened out there over the weekend. Also a side note there was about 24% fewer vehicles/people than last year. What that means to me is that the economy is not getting any better and is still sliding and making it difficult for people to spend money on OHV use.

Terry

Its nice that someone did a lil research before they just start ranting and raving about things they know very little about. Thank you!!

Terry

Thank you for this info, Terry. :thumb:

Its nice that someone did a lil research before they just start ranting and raving about things they know very little about. Thank you!!

Not sure what that means... thats what the forum is for so the whatnots and the Ynots can tell us..DERR DERR DERR :rain::idiot: . Geez.. some ppls kids :slap:

Imagine if nobody posted youd still be in the dark.

Capt

Capt

Not sure what that means... thats what the forum is for so the whatnots and the Ynots can tell us..DERR DERR DERR :rain::idiot: . Geez.. some ppls kids :slap:

Imagine if nobody posted youd still be in the dark.

Capt

Capt

I guarantee you HE wouldn't be in the dark. :rolleyes:

we were watching from jill and charlies camp above the pay station. i counted 15 leo's blm and sherifs, a dog, 9 vehicles and what looked like a radio or sat antenna behind a truck. it all seemed over the top like a border crossing. and a hugh waste of money. sunday at 5pm there wasnt a leo checking passes or even in dumont that i saw. and there were a lot of camps still there.

and jake you must have been the officer? (duner) i met at the north pole. sorry if i went off on you. you said you knew nothing about it. big brother harassing us on a tiny speck of sand in middle of nowhere not known for many problems of any kind just piss's me off.

i still have not heard the reason they were doing a random search for drugs or whatever. i guarantee that the search was completely illegal. i really cant believe they were searching vehicles and trailers when they know it is illegal.

someone know what the real story is? if i am minding my own business, then cant search me or my vehicles, trailers etc. there is no probable cause to do so. you want to search my stuff, get a search warrant.

so, whats the skinny here.

Well I guess it is safe to say he is in the dark if he is a LEO and didnt know anything?

Capt

I guarantee you HE wouldn't be in the dark. :rolleyes:

we were watching from jill and charlies camp above the pay station. i counted 15 leo's blm and sherifs, a dog, 9 vehicles and what looked like a radio or sat antenna behind a truck. it all seemed over the top like a border crossing. and a hugh waste of money. sunday at 5pm there wasnt a leo checking passes or even in dumont that i saw. and there were a lot of camps still there.

and jake you must have been the officer? (duner) i met at the north pole. sorry if i went off on you. you said you knew nothing about it. big brother harassing us on a tiny speck of sand in middle of nowhere not known for many problems of any kind just piss's me off.

i still have not heard the reason they were doing a random search for drugs or whatever. i guarantee that the search was completely illegal. i really cant believe they were searching vehicles and trailers when they know it is illegal.

someone know what the real story is? if i am minding my own business, then cant search me or my vehicles, trailers etc. there is no probable cause to do so. you want to search my stuff, get a search warrant.

so, whats the skinny here.gives them to conduct a search.

Sorry but you are entering a federal property and a fee demo area. if they want to walk a dog by and it alerts on your rig, The dog alerting is probable cause to believe that a crime is being committed. Do I think it was a good idea, nope I think it was profiling but then I do believe in profiling so it puts me in a quandry. Was it neccassary? Well if it saved one life by keeping "Stoned" people off of the dunes well then yes I will go for it but I still don't like it nor would I have been happy to have had to go through any hassle if the dog alerted on me. I do not carry nor partiucpate in narcotic use but dogs do make mistakes. But having to explain why I have weapons in my RV and them searching my personal possessions would have sent me to the moon. I think it was a chicken sh*t thing to do but who am i to stand in the way of the county trying to find cash lying on the ground.

• Like 2

Sorry but you are entering a federal property and a fee demo area. if they want to walk a dog by and it alerts on your rig, The dog alerting is probable cause to believe that a crime is being committed. Do I think it was a good idea, nope I think it was profiling but then I do believe in profiling so it puts me in a quandry. Was it neccassary? Well if it saved one life by keeping "Stoned" people off of the dunes well then yes I will go for it but I still don't like it nor would I have been happy to have had to go through any hassle if the dog alerted on me. I do not carry nor partiucpate in narcotic use but dogs do make mistakes. But having to explain why I have weapons in my RV and them searching my personal possessions would have sent me to the moon. I think it was a chicken sh*t thing to do but who am i to stand in the way of the county trying to find cash lying on the ground.

all property is owned by someone. federal property still does not allow leos to search my property without due cause. due cause is allowed if the dogs are alerted. you can still refuse but you will be arrested and put in jail. you know, guilty till you prove your innocence. they have you by the wallies in that case. but if the dog is not alerted, then no touchy my stuff.

this is just another type of harassment. can you imagine stopping everyone on the freeway to do the same thing. wont happen. so, then why the dunes?

the problem is that people cant act normal and be responsible for their actions, so big daddy government comes to the rescue. if the government would put some bite into the laws, this wouldnt happen--like $10000 fine and 5 years in jail.

im just venting since so many of our rights are being taken away by the extreme leftist morons.

i do like the idea that people are caught so they cant harm duners while the bad dudes are high on something.

ok, ive said enough. this could go on forever. :rockon:

i'm pretty sure they do DUII check points... no cause their either. but they do catch some drunks...

It would be a good thing for the current goverment to listen to what people like Ben Franklin thought, since they did write the constitution and all. what they thought, IS what the consitution is supposed to mean.

I have to go back to, the bad apples spoil the barrel. if people didn't go out there is illegal drugs, they wouldn't need to search. it's a vicious circle.

They checked mostly the flat bed trailers loaded with bikes coming in, All day Friday we only saw them check one enclosed trailer, they handcuffed those guys for over an hour as they searched the trailer and wrote tickets for the 2 guys. Each one got maybe 5 tickets each and each from a different cop. The cops also had their clips boards checking VIN #'s as the dog was walking around the truck & trailer. VERY interesting watching from above them with the binoculars !

ok i see quite a few people agree. i will add just a couple of things to this

A) blm saise it wasnt there deal. and it was a sbcsheriffs operation. and they had no knowledge.

however as i drove out i saw the RANGER in a ford explorer and on the side written K9 UNIT.

as you exit, on there lighted billboard. it said "k9 tesa" thanks you for visiting. that would leave me to conclude that blm was not exactly telling the truth.

b) since when ( other than hot pursuit) does a county have the right to come on federal land and enforce county laws without federal permission.

C) at what point does a "dog" have the authority or language skills to communicate and inform the citizen that he smells a specific illeagle drug and you must surrender your civil rights when it comes too search and siezure.

d) oxy is not an "illeagle drug " it is a "prescription drug" it is illeagle to posses without a prescription. as i understand it is a powerfull drug. however many , if not all of us at 1 point in our life has borrowed or taken some sort of prescription drug that wasnt prescripted to us.that doesnt make us druggies or criminals. if there was evidence that this activity is causing accidents i could somewhat justify ( in my own head) the reasoning for it.

e) dogs cannot read vin numbers

f) how many officers (on overtime) does it take to operate that single drug dog.

in conclusion, it is a violation of our civil rights, it is a waste of our money, and in my opinion it is nothing more than an illeagle scam by leos to generate money. most duners are middle class and this is just blatant money grabbing .

ps. yes i maybe uninformed and looking for answers jmanx. at least i have a high enough iq to realise somthing isnt right ........................... and just because blm makes up a story does not mean i have to beleive it or accept it.

Edited by barefoot bob
  • Like 2

Yeah this is a load of crap. Just like glamis, just watch more and more Leo presence in the name of "protecting" drug dogs over zealous cops trying to ticket you for bullchit infractions, then oh hey we need to double and triple our fees!!! They already proposed to double glamis permit fees. I'm so sick of California / Blm if it continues, my family will spend money in other states that want and appreciate our income. Greedy azz California is broke so what do they do they spend even more money then try to Nickle and dime the people that are still trying to enjoy the hobbies and family recreation. Drug dogs! Are you F'n serious lets run out there and spend tens of thousands of dollars to bust a couple teenagers with a couple joints. Then the Blm is going to lie to us "we didn't know" bullchit. It's going to be great when the awesome state of California succeeds in ruining our sport and hobby and they lose all there income from glamis and Dumont. That will do those money grabbing wasteful spending azzhats a lot of good.

Ill probbly end up going to jail if these clowns bring dogs into my camp not for the drugs, just on the plain fact that they will not be welcome, in my camp interrupting my families weekend off. I will gladly tell them to take there dogs, badge, and fees to go eat a bag of d@cks

• Like 3

Hahah I just went back and re read that guess I sound like an idiot. Oh well I work on a lot of federal projects in Nevada and California, and you would not believe the millions of dollars wasted on these projects I guess that's where my real anger comes from. Us contractors watch as the federal gov. Will literally waste 4-5k dollars on replacing a single cabinet you could get from Home Depot or lowes for $500. I swear I'm not even embellishing the prices, they require the cabinet to show proof that it was a tree grown in the United States, and milled in the us ect.. They literally have to go and cut down the lumber and literally waste an entire pallet of wood to document proof needed in order to document it's origin. This is taken months of labor and office time over a single freaking cabinet. That's only the tip of the iceberg on these jobs. Lake mead Rec is spending muti- millions on rehabbing a visitor center that's is riddled with asbestos, and it will still look like the crappy building it did in the 70's I'm all for preserving historical items but there is a point where you have to draw the line. They literally could have built double the size state of the art building that would serve a better purpose for the end user and draw more revenue and customers for less than half the money. On top of all that, the government is wasting all this money, and taking there sweet time paying the contractors, I for one am not in the business of financing the gov. So the can frivolously spend our tax dollars and not pay for what they want in a timely matter.

Rant over lol

Now, now fellas, simmer down...simmer down.

Capt, i guess the secrets out, but I DO get time off every now and again. I take the family to Dumont several times a year. I expect to have a good, safe time. I expect the cop'rs to do their jobs, protect and serve, just as your and my tax dollars are paying them to do. So if Sheriff Hoops or the Chief BLM Ranger didn't check in w/me before they launched some K9 check point, then you're right, I was "in the dark". GOOD!! I want to be in the dark on my VACATION...lol...!

The cop'rs were simply being proactive...trying to stop a problem before it starts. I HATE tweeks and thiefs! If they can be stopped at the gate and taken away before they crash into my trailer, kill my family or steal my buggy, I'm all for it. It sucks chaining up your stuff every night (I'm lazy!!). If your stuff got jacked or gets hit in the middle of the night, you would be complaining about the cop'rs NOT doing thier job...Wondering why they weren't parked near your camp just watching over your stuff, keeping the bad guys away. Believe me, a few cites over the weekend is not going to balance the state or county's budget, nor was that the intent of the so called check point.

Let me ask you this...Do you wait for you CV's to dry up before you pack'em? Do you wait for you motor oil to turn to tar before you change it? Of course not. You do preventative maintenance to keep your precious buggy going good. If crashes, vehicle thefts, assults and drug sales can be stopped before it happens, (or at least slowed) then why not? And if you think those things don't occur, then I'm not the one who is in the dark. These crime stats just fuel the cause for the groups that want to take our dunes away!!

Bob, by all means, I didn't mean to insult you IQ. I'm glad you think you're intelligent. I understand you're frustrated and was just venting. I got stopped on the way in before. I didn't just badge my way out. I let them do their thing, what my tax dollars are paying them to do. I've been jacked with by punk-a$$ cops, given BS cites, etc...I was just giving Terry praise because he made a phone call and attempted to get some facts. You, Bob, are an "OG" on this site, obvioulsy due to your time here and your number of posts. I'm sure ALOT of peeps here look up to you and believe what you're saying is gospel. Soooo, in the nicest way possibe, you really should at least attempt to educate yourself on what you're talking about IF you're going to make assumptions. Were officers REALLY on OT, or was it normal duty or grant funded? What does the CITY of San Bernardino and it's budget problems have to do w/the price of tea in China?....Has NOTHING to do w/Dumont, the Sheriff's Dept or BLM, (or the Sheriff's old a$$ buggy). Ummm...dogs can smell pretty darn good...sooo good, that there is case law about it and a dog's "hit" holds up in court.

But you're right about a couple things. Dogs CAN NOT read VINs. It takes 25 deputies and 50 rangers per VIN to do that!!! Also, the dog is a very limited resourse. With that said, we (as duners) were very fortunate to get the dog for the weekend. The dog is a very useful tool in stopping drugs from coming into Dumont. Drugs are the root of alot of crimes....dui's, thefts, assaults....Now, Bob, pull up a chair cuz it's time for your first lesson in Federal Land and jurisdictional issues you can't seem to grasp. Ever since Sheriff Penrod took and left office several years ago, BLM has no authority to enforce state penal codes. YES, Dumont is on Federal land, however, it is still located with in San Bernardino County and falls under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff. It is the Sheriff's responsibility AND obligation to provide law enforcement services. BLM's primary goal/mission is land management, hence the name. That's why they HATE nails, fireworks, glass bottles, etc.....with me so far?? BLM can go to town on someone with their Federal citations, but when it comes to crimes such as vehicle thefts, felons w/guns, assaults, domestics, death investigations, the fake $$ floating around on Vendor's row a couple years ago, they (BLM) look to the Sheriff's Dept to handle the investigation. By the way, the county doesn't have "county laws". That would be considered a county ordinance, but we'll save that for your next lesson since it doesn't have much to do with Dumont.

Now, for the rest of you that feel like your right were "violated"....Do some research on your 4th Amendment search and seisure rights. If some jack off, badge heavy cop is going through your castle (trailer, motorhome, etc) without probable cause (lawful reason) or YOUR consent, then contact a cop hater attorney and sue the hell out of the agency. You'll get a new house, brand new motorhome and a twin turbo Tatum out of it!! We all DO NOT need those type of cop'rs out there.

PS...BOB, if your IQ is so high, why don't you wear shoes???....Don't get bent, I was just kidding..

• Like 6