December 1st Weekend Trip

• 2 weeks later...

Was planning on it, but it depends on if my house is put back together by then. I'm in the middle of a remodel right now and sh*t is everywhere. This may be reason to get out to the dunes!

My wife will be home for 3 weeks recovering from surgery. I will be ready to go to the dunes by then or go cut the lawn with a pair of scissors. Dunes sounds like more fun:)

Awesome. Thanks Desertrider 71 and Dunefreak. I hope I see you guys out there. Look for the blue and green Sandwinders that appear to have no idea where they're going...lol. The blue one will have the American Flag and the Breast Cancer Flag as shown above. If anyone sees us. Don't hesitate to stop us and say "Hi", or "You're doing it wrong".

Edited by CharlesUFarley
  • Like 1

Ok. Now that I have the map, where is the best camping and where is the hangout/meeting place.

Is it Comp Hill?

Yeah mostly comp hill and north pole. If I make it out I will give you guys a grand tour. I just don't know if I am able to make it yet.

As far as camping, it's all personal preference.

i like camping in the 5 and 6 area. some areas can be soft over here so you have to be careful and keep moving. I know a few guy like to camp over by 9. there is a little less traffic over there, and it's easier to ride the rocky ridge where it's firm for the Motorhome guys. The area by the fingers ( you can see the sand fingers on the map) the 3, 5, 6,7 area is popular. I like camping close to sand I as I hate the flats, and the 9 area can have some good 5-6" rocks in the camping area. if you camp to close to the big dunes (7 or 8) you will get more traffic going by you on their way to the dunes. That 5-6 area is my favorite.

as pete said, its about prefference, but also you don't want to get stuck in a big rig set-up. Always someone around to help pull you, but still. Not trying to scare you, just something to watch out for. Not many people get stuck, and even less get stuck very bad. I have seen a guy driving around in a Prius out there this year.

Most of the people i ride with seem to meet at north pole. It's a good destination spot to make a run to. Most people i have been riding with are not racers, so Comp has limited interest. make a run or two off to the dunes.

Noob question here. Where on the map is the entrance? I assume it is the river crossing?

Yeah you cross the river (concrete slab), then go through the pay station, then up the hill and past the ranger station. You can kind of see the road on the map. It comes in from the bottom of the map below the word DigitalGlobe down by the copyright info

I like to camp by #9, been in that spot for a very long time. Little quieter and less dust but it does have some rocks out there. However I rode the same set of comp cut tires on my banshee for 8 years and never had a flat or bent a rim, now my grandson(s) that's a different story but until they came back to camp with a bent rim they just didn't understand that the objective is to drive slow on the flats and miss the big rocks. Since i have owned the sand car i have never had an issue either. Anyway I am pretty easy to find if you look at where #9 is and a bit to the northwest you will see my white Alfa class A motorhome and a white 30' trailer. I have an org/blk rzr's and my car looks like this; :ynot: come by and we will go for a few rides.

Terry

:rockon:

:laughing: You know you've been around DDR for a while when you can do that ^ hahaa

Yeah only difference is I keep the beard a little shorter these days. Pete, get your hitch fixed and c'mon out, dude we need a good old balls to the walls car ride!!!! :rockon:

:rockon:

Yeah only difference is I keep the beard a little shorter these days. Pete, get your hitch fixed and c'mon out, dude we need a good old balls to the walls car ride!!!! :rockon:

I agree! We are way overdue for one of those rides. Bugs me the So Cal dizzle crew has only been going out on the holidays lately.

I don't know if I can yet. This house is sucking me dry. On the other hand, I need the hitch no matter what because I need sand to survive. lol I will be in touch and keep you posted. Who else is camping with you that weekend?

That would be sweet to go on a group ride with a couple Dumont veterans!

Better be ready for a "balls Out Run" these guys don't play around, and they MEAN balls out.

I know one of my friends that used to have a car did a run with a GPS unit, and averaged 83 MPH, with a top speed of 104.

Let's us not scare these guys off Adam! We only run as fast as the slowest car/driver can run. We will never put anybody in a position that they would be/feel uncomfortable in. We are really safe, just ask Adam LOL!!!